Thanks BOC

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rcneman, Feb 9, 2007.

1. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I posted a non-report of sorts over on the "Tenn rivers talk" board. I should have posted it here...oops

Just wanted to thank all the members of BOC for the great info that is shared here, I know it's helped me be more successful chasin the kitties!

cyas
    robert

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Robert that is what the BOC family is all about. We all learn as we share info. and techniques with our BOC brothers and sisters. Keep on posting.:lol: :smile2:

3. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    Robert, Thats a killer fish you have there! Striper?

4. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN

ya caught it last march at Old Hickory from the bank....was one of the most memorable catches of my life.
    Was in a pouring rainstorm, about 40 out, no one else was there...the best of times.

cyas
    robert

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

What did it weigh? I've never caught one over 12"...LOL!

6. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wow, that is a memorable fish... never saw a striper that big. Good job... great post, too :lol:

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    it was 27 lbs. caught it on a jig. took me about 30-40 minutes to land it.

similar story to many other bigger fish that have been caught....at first i thought i was hung-up, which happens oftgn fishin jigs. Then my line started slowly moving downstream..,.then my reel starting SCREAMING!
    I loosened the drag just a touch more, reached down and grabbed my net and starting walking/stumbling/joggin down the riprap watching my spool getting lower and lower on line....was a trip! :crazy: this fish would turn and make a run back up river a bit, so i was able to get some line back, then off we went back downstream. this happened several times

didn't even get to see the thing for at least 25 minutes.....was using a 6ft pole with 12lb test mono, cheap shakespeare reel..heh. the first time i got a good look at it...i literally froze for a few moments in awe....then started looking around for a place to try and get it netted...that riprap below OH Dam is NOT friendly.

it was a line class record...i found out later...not really into that much.

i'll be putting a cat pic back up hopefully in a couple weeks.

cya
    robert

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    oops! double posted on me..i feel silly now

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U is very much welcome.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Cool fish Robert. I've never caught a striper. Is one that big any good to eat?

11. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    the one in my pic was great. I fillet all my fish though, and cut out any meat that is not 'white'. Cut out the lateral line, etc. I would prolly release a striper this size in the future (if i caught it on bigger gear) and it was able to survive.

personally any fish that has white flesh is great tasting to me, any kind of bass, crappie, bream, etc. i recently read an article that says to not eat any kind of striper though, because of mercury content. That article was in a national magazine and did not specify which part of the country they were referring too though.

If a fish doesn't have 3 eyes, extra fins, abnormal coloring, i usually look at them as dinner. lol i love fish, both chasing and eating.

cyas
    robert