Thanks, BOC member!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have thought about this for several days. there have been many instances where a BOC member has given me good advice or assistance. altho i have forgotten some, i would like to thank those that i can as time goes across.

thanks to Jackie (abilene). you were right about john nitzinger. after looking for awhile, i bought a cd of his on ebay - it is all good, and yes, louisiana cockfight is downright good stuff. and thanks for your stories, jackie.

thanks to jim (gator) for the time to look at my rod pics..i appreciate your opinion.

thanks to Dave (Okccatman ) for the t-bird meet this summer

more to come, i am sure :)

i will try to remember those i have forgotten and post thanks here.

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Phil there is no need for thanks to me any way. I try to treat everybody the way they treat me. YouÂ’re a good man bro.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will second the Thumbs up to Gator. I dont know him, hes doesnt know me, but he offered to change the guides on my St Croix for FREE LABOR. How many people could say that or wold do that? Not many. :D

4. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Gee Phil, you are certainly welcome. I never knew you took me so seriously. I'm surprised you took the time to look john up. It prompted me to do a search and I ended up at www.nitzinger.com. Imagine my surprise. I didn't realize how famous he had become. Also never knew he played lead guitar for Alice Cooper for three years. I do know he can rock the house. Still amazes me that those guys liked my original country folk songs. Now just think about me on the same bill, me and my old scratched up Martin guitar doing solos before "NITZINGER" takes the stage with "Louisiana Cock Fight." Amazing isn't it?

I met a lot of folks during my musical career and a charater named Vic McAlpin must be mentioned. I was sitting in a waiting room in Nashville to see the vice president of RCA records and Vic was waiting also. I didn't know who he was until he told me. I knew the name though. He use to fish with Hank Williams. They drank whiskey and wrote songs together in Hank's boat.

"I walked down by the river just to watch the fish swim by
    But when I got to the river, Lord I thought I would die, oh Lord.
    But when I jumped in the river, the doggone river was dry."

When Vic found out I was from Abilene, he asked if had known Slim Willet. Everyone in Abilene knew Slim. He had been dead for years at this time. He was a dj and had his own band. He also had a weekly musical program on stage that was like the Grand Ole Opry and I saw many national stars on the show when I was a kid. Kitty Wells, the Louvin Brothers, etc, etc. My folks took us every week. Slim wasn't slim and he wore a black suit with stars on it. He had a huge hit in the late 50's with a song he wrote called "Don't Let the Stars Get in your eyes." Perry Como covered it and it became a monster.

Vic told me he had once asked Slim how much he had made on the song. When Slim told him, Vic remarked that Slim was getting the screws put to him. Slim got hot and flew to L.A. with a pistol and confronted his producer, who promptly had a check cut for over a hundred thousand. Those were the days before the airlines used metal detectors. Vic also told me he had wrote a new song about a jealous husband nailing some guys privates to the floor but RCA wouldn't touch it. I wasn't surprised and told him he should show it to David Allen Coe.

On the other end of the spectrom, later, when I lived in Austin I was playing a club called "T.J.s" and doing a lot of David Allen Coe, who was very popular at the time. As a matter of fact, David autographed a flight sticker on my guitar case, along with Willie Nelson. A punk band showed up and told me between sets they really liked my music. I wish I could remember their name. They a had a number one hit but could never follow it up. They were like a national craze at the time. I do remember the guitar player played with a commode seat around his neck.

Thinking back, I realize I knew people from one end of the musical spectrom to the other. What scares me is I always seemed to fit right in. Even the punk rockers told me I was "cool." That's one thing I've learned about music. It crosses boundries.

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Jackie, what was the name of your band? We just knew you were famous buddy. Sure wish we could have heard you play.

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    fish, you come to my house, and i will drive you down to jackies place - we'll roust him out and make him do a couple of songs for us :D

7. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I must agree Phil, you are an asset to our community!

Thanks brother! :)

8. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Jim, I made my first TV appearence at the age of 10. Sang a song called "Turn Me Loose." Made my last TV appearence at the age of 45 in Nashville singing an original of mine called "The Vigil". Won a songwriting contest and was runner up in the Wrangler Country Showdown. Got my picture in the newspapers both times. Did a couple of radio interviews when one if my songs made it to #38 in the charts, before backsliding into oblivion. It was called "Freedom Ain't the Same." I have had three song writing awards. One sits on my bookcase, I was living in Nashville when I accepted it. The other two were after I left Music City and I didn't bother to go to Tennessee to get them. It hardly seemed worth the trip.

But I'm far from being famous, lol, have known some folks who were though. I use to date Jeannie C. Reilly (the Harper Valley PTA girl) when we were in our teens. She admired my washboard abdominal muscles, lol. I actually turned my daddys car over one night in the country after we left the drive-in to go parking.

I have an autographed 8x10 of the late and great Johnny Horton. He wrote "Jackie, may our trails cross again."

Most of my performing was done as a solo act but I have had a couple of my own bands. One was "The Lost River Band" and the other was "The Jackie Johnson Band." I have played guitar and sang back-up in a couple of other bands but no one would know them. One of them once toured with Bill Hailey and the Comets but it was way before my time.

Several years ago I got a band together and we started booking in Fort Worth at 2500 bucks a night. Every one of the guys had toured with big names out of Nashville at one time or another and the steel guitar player had played in the house band at Billy Bob's for years. I started my own production company called Prairie Moon Productions. We were cutting an album of 12 original songs. The title song was "Wild Like The Wind."

I'm "Wild Like the Wind" in the night outside your door.
    Sometimes I'm gentle as a breeze, sometimes I like to roar.
    Sometimes I'm like a whisper, soft against your skin
    Sometimes I'll make you shiver, I'm "Wild Like the Wind."

When the steel player died of a heart attack and I was diagnosed with kidney disease, the band fell apart.

I never got famous but I had a lot of fun. I have been told I was too young to do all the things I claim to have done but it's all true. Except for a four year marriage at the age of 16, I was always mostly footloose and fancy free to do whatever I felt like doing and so I did it. I've been divorced since 1965 and am now 60 years old. Cowboying and country music are two things I have always loved and been proud of. Say Hi to Judy for me.

Phil, I'll leave the light on for you. If I ever make it to a gathering, I'll bring my black "Custom Legend" Ovation guitar for sure.

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Jackie, you have lived quit a life. I sure enjoy reading all of your storys. I play the acoustic guitar a little myself but nothing to the extent you have. We are all very fortunate to have you as a member in the brotherhood. Maybe when they get the national gathering put togather or some day our trails may meet. I sure would enjoy sitting around the fire and hearing you pick a few.

10. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Phil, that sounds like a winner buddy. We might even get Jackie to go fishin with us and sit on the river bank and listen to him do a little pickin and we would do the grinnin.

Jackie, I just knew it, buddy you have been around and got to do some exciting stuff. Judy and I sure would love to meet you in person and hear some first hand singing, pickin and story telling.

The only famous persons I know are Charlie McClain and her husband Wayne Massey. Wayne and I are friends and has always said I reminded him of Roy Orbison, he still calls me "Roy" instead of Jimmy. Charlotte had a bunch of hits back in the 80s. Wayne was a pitcher for the Oakland "A"s several years ago and an actor on the soap "One Life to Live". Charlie and Wayne had a record out at one time but I don't remember the name of it.

11. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Jim, reading your post reminds me of the time my publisher took me to Roy Orbison's office. Sorry to say he was out at the time. We sat around picking on his acoustic guitar that was left leaning against the wall, over in a corner. He never showed and we left after awhile, but at least I got to meet his guitar. Lol.

Phil, I have to agree also. The BOC is a great place and the people are the best! I've learned a lot myself. It's the only way to start the day. I'm a late riser and the first thing I do is turn on the PC and head for the kitchen to grab a cup of java. By the time I get back, it's ready to go. A sip or two and my eyes are open enough to squint at the monitor. After checking two of my three free e-mail accounts, I stick the finger of my cursor up Big George's nose and click the button on my tracman mouse and plunge headfirst into the BOC pool.

Come on in, the waters fine. If you want to make friends with some good folks, this is the place to do it. If you want to learn to catch catfish, this is the place to do it. If you want to rant and rave, there's a place for it here. If you want to pass on a good story that shines a light on the better part of human nature, we want to hear it. I know everyone has expierences to share. Each of us has our own stories and we want to hear yours. Lurk all you want but why not join in and share your unique voice with others. You won't be sorry.

12. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i'd like to hear some more of your stories abilene,
    we'll have to get you your own sections in the forum call it "tales of abilene".....lol....

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jackie is the man on writting stories. :thumbsup: