The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

701 - 720 of 936 Posts

·
Old Squeezer
21,856 Posts
The way they got a hay cock out of the field in Ireland. Real neat, IJS.

Moving a hay cock in 1916 - YouTube
This was a good video UNTIL the camera panned over to the crowd and I had a panic attack. Flashbacks from my first Thanksgiving dinner with Big Red's clan. Red headed women everywhere.
That was 30 or so years ago and - - - - - - -
Now I'm going down to my quiet place for a bit.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Talking about frostbite reminded me of my handicapped son of when he was about 5 or 6 we were walking over a steel bridge and before we could stop him he picked it for who knows what reason. His tongue stuck I ran to my car and grabbed my Pepsi and the camera and took a few pictures before pouring out over his tongue and releasing him. It's still one of my favorite pictures to laugh at now...

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
Talking about frostbite reminded me of my handicapped son of when he was about 5 or 6 we were walking over a steel bridge and before we could stop him he picked it for who knows what reason. His tongue stuck I ran to my car and grabbed my Pepsi and the camera and took a few pictures before pouring out over his tongue and releasing him. It's still one of my favorite pictures to laugh at now...
But, even after a few years, can he laugh at it yet?

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
1,970 Posts
Laughing at that. Is that like trying to write your name in the snow. On last letter you run outa excess beer and dribble on boots? Was always good for chuckle.

Gotta go work in morn. Oh well. Ice to thin anyway. Those two did not make it on Lake Ponsett. A grandad and grandson. GFP stated there were several other mishaps also. Gettin some snow/ice starting Wensday night late.

Later

·
Old Squeezer
21,856 Posts
I was about 7 or 8 when I did it [tongue on handrail] and I distantly remember leaving a bunch of little pink things stuck there. There was no one around to go get help or thankfully - laugh. Whole ordeal didn't take long at all.
Only did that ONE time.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
I was about 7 or 8 when I did it [tongue on handrail] and I distantly remember leaving a bunch of little pink things stuck there. There was no one around to go get help or thankfully - laugh. Whole ordeal didn't take long at all.
Only did that ONE time.
Only takes once for something like that. 😀

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
818 Posts
Ive seen the rime ice here at home and in Germany. Didnt know the proper name for it. I got my life time supply of snow while living in Germany. I dont care if it ever snows again.
The main problem with snow in the south is its too warm. The normal scenario. A front blows in and dumps some snow. The ground is too warm so it turns to slush. It freezes overnite. So your not driving on snow. Its a sheet of ice.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Sure hate hearing about those going through the ice!!
I didn't go through I've but walking back off the lake from ice fishing I broke through a layer of crust and went up to my chest in snow. Trying to pull myself up and the crust would break and it was like I was drowning in the snow. I remember to stay calm but inn like water snow doesn't give any support in powdery snow. I was able to make my way to a shallower area and climb out but it was scary. This was last year. I can't imagine being in ice cold water freezing you.

·
Horse-MON
21,599 Posts
Well I was a teen, me n a older neighbor boy had a muskrat in a trap under the ice, didn't know this was spring feed hole, I broke through up to my knees , had my rubber boots on and it was 15 below zero and I was a mile from the house, they had to cut my boots off when I got home!!

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Well I was a teen, me n a older neighbor boy had a muskrat in a trap under the ice, didn't know this was spring feed hole, I broke through up to my knees , had my rubber boots on and it was 15 below zero and I was a mile from the house, they had to cut my boots off when I got home!!
One of the problems with living a long time if you have many more chanced to make dumb choices. Been there, done that, don't want the tee shirt.

·
Old Squeezer
21,856 Posts
I don't have a lot of dumb things I did that can be printed on a public forum and shall remain as memories.
However;
There are some I'm not proud of but the statute of limitations ran out many years ago - so
Back in the 50's several guys would get together after a big snow and go to Art Hill to ride down it on a car hood. The old kind of hood that had sides and a pointy front. The goal was to ride down the hill and bail out just before the hood got to the lagoon at the bottom.
I always made it. Occasionally there would be one or two people that would get ran over on the way down that just got in the way. There were a lot of hoods in that lagoon. Studebaker hoods were the favorite. They had a neat looking front.
And YES, I have peed on an electric fence just to see if it was true. It is.

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
282 Posts
I 68 years, a person can indeed do a LOT of dumb stuff.
But, there are 4 standing rules that I use to govern the dumb stuff that I do. ( I came up with these rules when I was 35 or so):
Number (4): The deepest I will EVER go underground, if then, is six feet (claustrophobic)
Number (3): If it’s more fire than it takes to cook a steak on a grill, it’s more fire than I’m ever going to willingly mess with.
Number (2): If I’m not within swimming distance of dry ground, I’m on too much water.
Number (1): (You will NEVER hear even a rumour of me breaking this one): I NEVER get any further off the ground than I am willing to fall. And I’m not willing to fall very far at all.

Anything outside those four rules, heck, let’s do it.

701 - 720 of 936 Posts