thank you sonys blood formula

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Joe Car, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Joe Car

Joe Car New Member

State:
    Mo.
    I don't have pictures but this is what I did. I purchased some sonys blood formula from wal-mart. I mixed a little veg. oil with it. I call it {soupy poopy flavor when asked} I use a #4 trebile red color from eagle claw. I put a barrel sinker in front of a split shot about a foot from the hook and I used a red sponge. The sponges I use float causing the bait to float aprox 1 foot from the bottom.
    I caught six nice channels the smallest was 4lbs and the biggest weighed six pounds the other day. fished during the morning for 3 hours on a lake in south east mo.
    so far this method works awesome and has been producing fish like crazy.
    I'm thinking about writeing the makers of sonys a letter and personaly thanking them for making such a fine product for catfishing.
    This has brought my fishing to a hole new level and caused me to have some real good fish fries.

I truly recomend this product to anyone for lake fishing.

Joe Car

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I've used "natural" bait for most of my fishing years. I'm just now starting to experiment with different baits and techniques.

Caught my first 3 catfish on sonny's bait saturday night using a modified carolina rig with 2 hooks. First hook on a 12" leader with a piece of sponge & sonnys. Second hook close to the sinker with a nightcrawler.

Of the 3 cats I caught 2 were on the sponge, one on the crawler. I'm itchin to get fishing again, spent sunday making myself some homemade tube baits. And I've been playing with different kinds of sponge.

I'm on a pretty tight budget here so its mostly what I can figure out for free or dang cheap. First sponge was just a 69 cent kitchen sponge. :)

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've used Sonnys with the Looper rig and have done very well. The looper rig seems to hold the bait longer and takes less bait.

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Do you think the Looper Rig takes less bait? It has been my experience that the Looper Rig holds a lot more bait than anything else I have used with Sonny's bait.

5. Joe Car

Joe Car New Member

State:
    Mo.
    I been using the auto sponges located in automotive at wal-mart. just cut them in small squares, also they float

Joe

6. Joe Car

Joe Car New Member

State:
    Mo.
    i been using a red sponge also, not sure if it matters though

7. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the tip on the sponge rig, I will give it a try the next time I go fishing.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you all are doing allright. Congrats to you and thanks for the product review

9. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    May have to try blood formula, regularly use original with decent success!

10. Joe Car

Joe Car New Member

State:
    Mo.
    This stuff is the bomb
    the other night I caught 2 one weighed 4 lbs the other 9.5lbs

11. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    The looper rig initially holds more bait but that bait stays on longer and you will use less in the long run. The looper rig holds sonnys bait well enough that I have a friend that uses it on his trout lines.

12. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Sonny's dip bait is pretty good stuff! I hear Sonny is a pretty good guy too. A buddy at work who lives by him said that Wal-Mart jacked up the price of his dip bait so that they would make more money. Sonny called them up and said he wouldn't sell to them anymore because the price wal-mart was selling for was higher then the price that they and Sonny agreed to. Wal-mart quit selling it, their customers started complaining, Wal-Mart called Sonny and agreed to sell at his price.

Sounds like a pretty good guy to me!

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i like sonnys blood formula never tried the reguler stuff its caut a lot of fish for me this year i gota get me some looper rigs i hear nuten but good things about theam i use sponges and dip worms the spong works good till u get it wet i try drying it befor dipping it in the bait but it still wont load up good after you ones get it wet :sad2:

14. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i haven't tried it.i usually use fish for bait,might have to give it a try,see how it does.

15. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    You should write Sonny a letter. He or his wife reads everything like that. They are very accomodating people. Very nice people and they have a great bait as well. Later Andy

16. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    that sonnys bait works wonders ill tell ya. i think its the best dip bait out there.

17. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    Sonny's is one of the best dip baits you can use. I've had very good luck with it, and it is easy to find around here beings it's made here in Iowa.

18. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Sonny's does make some good bait.

19. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure what a looper rig is.:confused2: Could some please explain.
    I've never used dip bait before, looks like I should give it a try

20. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Check out one of our BOC sponsors, Looper Rigs. They will have pictures on their web site. Made from a different material than the plastic with holds in it. Comes with different hooks to suit your needs.