Texas vs. Iowa

Discussion in 'Ersel's Gridiron Talk' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 24, 2006.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Texas (9-3) vs. Iowa (6-6) does anyone else find this a poor matchup?

2. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah I sure do, I personally don't think that a 500 season should qualify ANYONE for a Bowl game, but what do I know, lol! Hopefully the Hawks won't be embarrassed too badly!

3. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    yes i think is a very good team when they have their #1 qb. other wise they really lack on offense. boliver

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    yeah we'll see how Tate throws and how much McCoy has grown. I am a Texas fan, but sympathize for Iowans so it'll at least be an entertaining game if Tate puts his heart into it.

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would imagine that all of the Texas fans hope it turns out better than the 1984 Freedom Bowl. That was the night they were the Texas Shorthorns,Iowa 55 Shorthorns 17!!!!!! Could happen if Tate decides to be a team player for his last game as a Hawkeye. He also has a personal incentive to beat Texas,since they did not recruit him out of high school. We'll see,could prove interesting.
    Merry Christmas
    Glenn

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I say Texas, but I'm not 100% firm on it. Kansas State destroyed that Texas D, especially that secondary. I'm sure Iowa will try to attack that flaw. I'll agree it'll come down to Tate.

SudDawg
    Go BIG RED!!!

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    What is the criteria for the bowl game... Big 12 second place against Big 10 thrid place? Seems like the won/loss records don't matter when they are positioned in the bowls by their conference finishes. Sure think it is going to be a good game. Course, from my geographical area, I have to root for Texas, even though I'll have to wash my mouth out afterwards. LOL

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    dang, that game was way too close! at least Texas won! lol

9. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    which confrence has the most bowl game wins?

10. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I believe you was the one that started this post wasn't you? I recall you calling this a poor match up,didn't you? I bet the way the game started out you did think it was a poor match up,but not the way you had stated it. Were you just a little nervous in the first quarter,second quarter,third quarter,come to think of it,until the last 2 minutes of the game. If our offensive coordinator had any brains he wouldn't have called that end around,and kept the ball in Tate's hands,moved the ball down the field and kicked the game winning field goal. Oh by the way,congratulations on the win.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The UT fans should be glad they had McCoy on their team. If it was up to anyone else, they would have lost big time. Mack made another of his famous bannana head calls. Glad Iowa didn't capitalize on it as we would have seen him crying for another 8 months. Would congratulate UT on the win, but they way they played overall, I see little to congratulate them on.

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Iowa definately gave Texas a big punch in the mouth the first two/three quarters. Glad Texas won (Big 12,) but seems Iowa should of came out with the W.

SudDawg
    GO HUSKERS

13. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

All I care is that IOWA (at 6-6) lost in a game they never should have been in. How do you allow a 6-6 team into a bowl game. Does this mean the the NCAA has to many Bowl Games???

The answer is: YES!!!!!

An 8-8 team in the playoffs in the NFL means the conference they played in was average that year. It means they are one of the top 6 teams out of 16, not top 6 out of 11!!!!

Just my opinion.

Ray

14. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I suppose you're going to tell me that if the crying Ilwhini ever win 6 games in a year that Zook the Crook will turn down a bowl invitation. If you believe that I have some ocean front property here in Montrose, Iowa I'd love to sell you! When you win 6 games you are automatically bowl eligible. Do I think that's the way it should be,no I don't,but that's the way it is whether you like it or not. I agree with you that there are too many bowl games,but it's all about the money. I don't believe Iowa was the only team to go to a bowl game this year with a 6-6 record. One team that I know didn't win 6 games this year,and go to a bowl game, is located just to the east of Iowa. Keep the faith the Zooker will lead you to the promise land.LOL

15. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Please don't miss quote me. If it were Iowa, Illinois, Michigan State, or any Big Ten Team that would finish 6-6, I would think they should not be invited to a Bowl game. Being mediocre should not be rewarded no matter who it is. I realize the NCAA is out to make it's money, but rewarding teams for an average season should not be acceptable no matter who your team is.

Ray

16. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    New Mexico also had a .500 season and was in a Bowl...go figure!

17. suddawg

suddawg New Member

They had an automatic invite to the....here it comes....New Mexico Bowl. That actually caused a big stink with Wyoming, who beat New Mexico and had a better then .500 record. Yet they didn't get an invite.

SudDawg

18. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas

you know i was nervous!!!! but like alot of the people said, a .500 team shouldnt be in a bowl. but iowa gave us a run for our money!!! ill admit they did alot better then i expected

19. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bet you were a little nervous. I know I would have been had the roles been reversed. You say a .500 team shouldn't be in a bowl game. I agree with you to a certain extent,but you've got to realize that the only reason .500 teams are in bowl games is MONEY! Even though Iowa was only a .500 team this year,when it comes time to pass out the bowl invites Iowa is a very attractive team,because they sell tickets. If I'm not mistaken,wasn't this the first time that the Alamo Bowl was a sellout! Don't try to tell me Texas wouldn't go to a bowl game with a .500 record if they had the chance. It's all about the $$$$$$$$. BTW,most of the people that are complaining about .500 teams in bowl games,are people who only wish their teams had a .500 record,to have a chance to be invited. It's too bad you're not old enough to remember the 55-17 arse kicking the Hawkeyes put on the Shorthorns in 1984. Maybe you can ask your father or grandfather about it,I'm sure they remember it all too well. If I remember right they were saying the same thing that year that you were saying this year,that we didn't belong on the same field as the mighty Shorthorns. You know something they were right,we didn't deserve to be on the same field as the Shorthorns,we deserved to be playing someone much better than them.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would imagine that at the start of a season, all the bowls want teams with winning records. And, it could work out that way, if all the stars and planets fall into perfect alignment. Think the thing that hurts is the proliferation of bowl games, the venue for these games, and the seniors (in many cases) voting on which bowl the team participates. Tha means bowls in Hawaii, California and Florida are all gonna get picked. But which senior team wants to play on a blue field, or in the middle of Oklahoma, or Kansas. Too darn many bowl sites each wanting the proverbial 10 million dollars. But then again, why can't the TV stations say "NO" to all the bowls and only pick 5 or 6 to televise. That would be about what, 24 bowl games instead of 52.