Texas Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by rebelzgrl76, Apr 3, 2008.

1. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    We were in Texas over the weekend and we came across these. I have excellant video of them with the DVD recorder. They were gobblin and the hens were clucking..er whatever hens do:confused2:. Anyhow, my daughter took this picture and I thought Id share it with you fine folks.

BTW, I have NEVER seen this before! Is this common??

Attached Files:

2. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    man that's awsome , tell your daughter great pic !! thes turkey threads are kill'n me people :crazy::crazy: .

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    As allways ,Great Pics,Amy. Yall are good at getting those special ones.:wink:
    I've seen that a few times before,It happens when the birds get used to people. They dont care hwo watches the dancin.:big_smile:

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Where in Texas were you??

5. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    east Texas near Dallas.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Great pictures Amy, thanks for posting. That's what they do in the spring, it's mating season and the tom's are strutting. It's pretty common this time of year , just not usually in the middle of the highway:smile2:.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    nice looking turkeys thank you for sharing the pics with us

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great pic, i seen 3 struttin this morning.

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Great pics as always Amy. Thanks for sharing.

10. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    what county? I am trying to figure if these are wild or domestic birds. No wild turkeys in Dallas county (well,that just might not be TOTALLY true, ha!)... there are eastern birds in east texas. I hunt mostly the Rio's..

11. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    hey Mr. Clayton,

This was near Cooper Lake. I had seen them earlier in the day down a little country rd and thought, well that was odd. But because it was off by itself with no cars, didnt think much of it. Then on our way to Sulpher Springs, I think, we came aross these that were flocked together. There were several cars pulled off the side of the road and a lady out taking pictures no more than a cpl feet from them! Not sure how turkeys in Texas are but unless turkeys are use to travel you are unable to get close to them in Colorado(like this).

I was :crazy:(in shock) to see these at such close range. We got some very good video of them, though these were the only pictures we took.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Neat pics Amy!
    Right, I've never seen wild turkeys like that... in TX or AR.

Maybe it was like the one we saw at our neighbors front door on Thanksgiving Day. At first I thought it was wild. I think someone must have dumped it out. Wasn't long until it was at our front door... it could see it's reflection in the window. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    up here they will strut and look cool for the hens right on the road, but usually when you slow down or stop they will move into the scrub. you never know during the breeding time though, all the male animals get a little dumb. also, if you were near campsites where folks feed them regularly, they might have lost their fear of humans. i know down in the palo duro canyon, they will eat chocolate chip cookies and french fries right out of your hand.