Texas trip

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfish slick, Mar 7, 2008.

1. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Good morning texas Brothers. my wife and I are planning a trip to Texas next month to visit our doughter and we are bringing our fifth wheel. Our daughter lives between Ponder and Justin, not too far from the Texas speedway. The last time we were there we stayed in the Destany Dallas camp ground just off of 35E. That is quite a drive from there to the daughters house. I am looking for a place to stay a little closer, What with the price of fuel being as high as it is, hear in California it's $399 9/10 a gallon. I noticed there is a little lake near Roanoke called Grapevine lake, and I was wondering if they may have camp sites. or if any one knows of a good place close by. We will be staying there at least a week before going on to Tyler to visit all my wife's folks. They have a great place there for us to camp. It's out in the pasture with full hookups, and right across the road from the old family home place where my wife's dad and all her aunts and uncles were born. Any help would be appreciated.

2. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Phillip,
    I would recomend Pilot Knoll Park on Lake Lewisville. It's very close to FM 407 (Justin Road), very clean, well maintained, has some great bank fishing, plenty of trees and shade. It's maintained by the City of Highland Village. They have done an outstanding job with park. Your wife should enjoy all of the local shopping while you're wearing out the cats. You are also only 15 minutes from Bass Pro Shops. Here are some maps of the park.

http://www.highlandvillage.org/highland/parks/maps/PILOT KNOLL CAMPGROUND COVER 2005.jpg

http://www.highlandvillage.org/highland/parks/maps/PILOT KNOLL CAMPGROUND BROCHURE INTERIOR.jpg

Let me know if you need any additional information or help. I'm on Lake Lewisville just about every weekend.

-Bobby

3. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey, thanks Bobby, that looks like just what I am looking for.

4. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Hickory Creek is a corps park on Lake Lewisville we really like. Not as spendy as Pilot Knoll, and easier to get to. It's right off the interstate (35E). It's a bit of a trek to get to Pilot Knoll.... but these parks are not to real close to where you are wanting to camp.

You should check out Ray Roberts State Park which is near Denton. We really like this park as well and it's north of the I 35 split so you can get to 35W easily... Check out the Texas Parks and Wildlife website for more info...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/

I don't know of any other campsite on the 35W coridor. You may be interested to know that Cabela's is just across the highway from the Texas Motor Speedway!

enjoy your visit to Texas!

5. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Phillip, I sure am looking forward to meeting you while you are here in Texas, just let me know where you'll be at and we can meet somewhere and maybe even have dinner together.
    Have a safe trip and if you need anything, just call me.

:big_smile::wink:

6. michael357mag

michael357mag New Member

State:
    texas
    LAKE LIVINGSTON HAS GREAT CATFISHING AND VERY GOOD CAMP SITES IN ONALASKA TX. HAVE A GREAT FISHING TRIP.:wink:

7. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    I would like to thank all my Texas brothers that have helped me in finding a camp site close to my daughters house while we are in texas. I am sure they are all great places, and I wish I had the time to visit them all, and you guys are so blessed to live in a state that has so many great places to fish and camp. We finally picked a camp site on Grapevine lake, in the Silverlake Rv. Park. because it's only about ten are twelve miles from our daughters house. I hope we made a good choice. we will be their from April 10th to the 17th before moving on down to Tyler, and it would be great to meet some of you guys, The only bad thing is I am going to miss a great gathering of my California fishing buddies on the Mendota slew. Oh well Next time.