Texas may put some limits on alligator gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by part time catman, Dec 21, 2008.

1. part time catman

part time catman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Texas is open to voting on their website .How do you guys feel about a limit on the harvest of alligator gar? i feel any method is acceptable if a limit is in place to ensure the future population.Some of us bowfisherman are conservationist ,but we catch a lot of heat for it from fellow
    bowfishermen for taking a stand.Anyways, lets hear from you on this subject.
    thanks for your time guys

2. part time catman

part time catman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    by the way its the texas parks and wildlife department website in case i was too vague on where to view and vote on the poll.
    thanks

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They are virtually extinct here in Mo. They will be there soon as well if regulations are not applied. I'm not a gar fan, but I think all native species deserve enough protection to survive in their own habitat.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You can acess the link by going to the BOC state info and clicking on the state agency's "sticky" posted below the threads. I just looked ,Very interesting .its in the public comment section in TX fishing

5. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I think everyfish should have a fighting chance, no matter how ugly:crazy: These fish are dinosaurs.

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man i think of all the gator gar we shot and sold on the trinity growing up, and it makes me sick. all a kid needs is an adult to show them the wrong way... i think gator gar should have a limit on them, say one a day. spots and longnoses are running rampant but the big gators have a different spawning cycle thatn the little guys. i quit shooting them and started fishing for them when i still lived in the area. never landed one bigger than 35. they go airborne when you hook em, like the tapon on tv. i hooked into bigger, but they will manhandle you in a heartbeat. an awesome fighting fish if yall ever get the chance to target them specifically.