Texas Lakes Belton & Stillhouse : Excellent Catfish water

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Thomas P. Conley, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Looking around to see if anyone else is fishing these two lakes as I am? Both lakes have some good blues and channels and a few nice flatheads. Why last spring a fellow catter took a 72 pounder out of Stillhouse on trotline.
    My best is out of Belton Lake and it was a small 20 + or - pounder on live shad. I have takes quite a few over 10 pound though.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I was stationed at Ft Hood and fish both of those lakes I was big in stripers then. I hope to get back there to catfish ine if thest days. Question= Do you happen to know a man by the name or Tom Tatum? He was in the Army with me and retired at Coppers Cove. :confused:

3. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Top: No I don't know this Tom you asked about, but the Cove has quite a large retirement living here. As for strippers Bucccannon Lake is the place to catch them and some over 20lbs. This Lake is just out of Burnet Texas and has a few good guides to take you out if interested. I fish mostly for cats and large Gills.

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey guys, thought I'd share lil story with ya bout Lake Belton. When I was a lil guy my Grand Pa had a lake lot on Belton. Must of been right across from the Ft. Hood. We were fishin' of a boat dock the first day I got there and we were having great luck catchin' gills until the Cannons started going off. Scared the crap out of me and I threw my rod and all into the lake and would not fish the rest of the weekend cause I just knew the fish were shootin' at us.

Dang what a memeory that brought back.:eek: ........
    Thanks for reminding me. At the time I was freaked out. Now looking back that must of been some funny stuff for my family....

5. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    T-Bone, LOL on your memories as a kid. Boy the things we did as children, we are lucky to have survived into adulthood.

6. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey T-bone,
    Believe it or not,we can still hear those guns,ever so often,and i live 24 miles north of Waco.It's been a while since i heard them,but on a good quiet night,and if they are firing them,we can hear it.
    Ernie

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Hey T-Bone thought Id share with you a little story about Lake Belton.I was stationed at Ft.Hood back around 70-71 and we soldiers trained all over Ft Hood.I was a Tanker so we were always out running around or on the ranges shooting tank gunnery.One day we were on a tank range off of East Range Road that was real close to some private property on Lake Belton.In fact we could see people and boats from the range.I looked through my 10x primary cannon sight and I could see an older man and what looked to be his grandson fishing off a dock on this property.My gunner, a crusty old Sgt that hated everbody, kids especially, said,we got permission to start firing from range control so lets have all 17 tanks fire at once and see if we can scare the C--p out of that little kid.He looks like a little sissy anyway.So we got everything all loaded up and on my command the entire company fired.Sure enough that little kid jumped three feet in the air and threw his rod in the water.He started crying and ran off the dock and no matter what his grandpa did he wouldn't fish no more. :0a4: Dang what a memorythat brought back :0a10: I can still see the splash from that fishing rod hitting the water :0a1: Looking back that was some funny stuff!!!!!!!!! :D :rolleyes: :p Sorry I just couldn't resist.Most of the story is true.I made up the part about you looking like a sissy!!!!LOL

8. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    I used to fish on Cowhouse creek back in the day when I was stationed at Hood. We used to get some NICE cats and gar up in there using shad. We got one or 2 flatheads too when we fished for crappie. There were some nice blues in there. I never catfished much at Stillhouse. I saw some nice cats come off of the floating fishing house at BLORA (Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation Area) as well. Thats a neat place to fish.

Scott

9. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    This past fall some old boys I know when up the Leon River and set some limb lines out in the waters. Well there was a reason they did this you see there was a fish fry at a ranch along with some skeet shooting. I ask them, " how it went" and the older of the two said, "well we caught a few around 5 pounds, so we moved up river a bit then we caught a few around 10 to 20 pounds, so we move up to this bridge and caught a few around 30 to 35 pounds". I said, "Wow" and he said, " then we moved above the bridge and caught a bunch over 60 and a few over 60 pounds". Now I know this is the truth because these two old boys feed that day over 80 men all on flathead catfish and sure was good eating with many going for seconds, thirds and taking home pounds for their family. Now if only I can find the hole they fished for them biggens....

10. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Good story Jim. Thanks a bunch ! The timing of your story goes right along about the time it happened. I almost bet that was me! Wow what a feelin' that was. You ever get goose bumps, thinkin' bout something ? Will I just did;)

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thomas P. Conley, I was wondering if you might know any Bailey's in that area. My cousin lives on Belton lake. Also my uncle has a place just off 35 in Belton . Nolen creek runs right behind his house. I'll be headed that way sometime next year. and I got another couple uncles who live in Belton and one in Temple. Belton is where my family comes from. Sure is rocky in that area. Got land, might as well sale the rock or raise goats. LOL.
    And the ceder trees are thick.

12. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Dano, Nope don't know any of your kin. But your right about the land with rocks and them cursed cedar trees. Every year I get the dreaded Cedar Fever which starts in Dec. through the end of March. No meds. one can take and no cure for it so we who get it got to bear it and grumble. I think we all should go out and kill a Mountain Cedar today, tomorrow and every week till we get rid of this pest that has taken over our property and my mind.....

13. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    Thomas: I feel your pain. I have to go to the Doc evey year for the "Cedar Fever". The only thing that works for me is the "Zythromax" antibiotics. Good Luck.

sbursik: I gave up on Belton. Last time I trotlined it I lost 2 lines and all I caught were Gar. I caught a 20 +/- Lb 3 hooks behind me while I was baiting out up in Cowhouse Creek.

And yes, when your 5mi up the creek near the East Range Rd Bridge and the artillery starts firing. The boat nearly jumps out of the water..... Or is it I nearly jump out of the boat.... One of them.

Thomas: Put a jon boat in at "Iron Bridge park" off Hwy 36 about 6MI toward Gatesville from the high bridge. Go up river about 2 Miles and that is where those guys were probably starting thier limblines. Good Luck.

1SG Lawrence: The only Tom Tatum I know lives north of Kempner. he's a crusty old retired guy in his late 50's-ear;y 60's that owns & runs a company called "Tatum's Custom Kinves". With that said, I Hope that you are looking for an old friend and not an "old enemy"

As you can tell, It's been a while since I visited the BOC. Shouldn't been a stranger for so long.

14. Thomas P. Conley

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Shank, sorry it took so long to get back a reply been real busy with the new year stuff. I'll try to ask my doctor for that medicine you put in your message. Yes I've fished above the Iron Bridge off of 36. I got a bunch of snags and very little else. These men I spoke of who caught all the large Flatheads fished north of Gatesville.