Texas Jug fishing question

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by KS_coyotee, Oct 3, 2007.

1. KS_coyotee

KS_coyotee New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Gentlemen, and Ladies,

I am looking for information on homeade jug lines that use the compressed floating foam (2 inch approx. size) and where did you find it or should I say buy it, on a national level since I am from kansas. Can you give me an idea of the cost. This is the only item I lack (I think) for making the jugs.

Any how-to's or actual directions/guidance would be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Ks_coyotee

2. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Alan,
    First check your regulations on color requirements. In Texas, they must be white unless you have a commercial fishing license. If there are no color requirements, the best source is to use the swimming noodles that can be purchased at most discount stores. Some people here will wrap the colored ones in white duct tape to make them legal. The commercially made jug lines you see use backer rod for the foam floatation. It can be ordered or purchased from some construction supply stores. Hope this helps you out a little. I prefer R&R fishing, but jugs can be a lot of fun too.

Good Luck,
    Bobby

3. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    in texas you need white jugs. the best are 2 gallon plastic jugs. if you fish for large fish the noodles and the small plastic jugs will be pulled around to much.

4. KS_coyotee

KS_coyotee New Member

State:
    Kansas
    guys,

thanks for all the info. and pappy3, thanks for the pm. I would reply, however, I don't have the required 10 yet. working on it.

Ks_coyotee

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Alan, I see you have 5 posts. If you were to respond to each person who entered your thread, that would almost give you the 10 posts. You gotta build that count up, and its not gonna do it by itself. By the way, welcome to the B.O.C. - one of the most informative sites on the web.

6. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Welcome Alan, search past post on jugs. There is a lot of good information on making your own. Good luck

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    While 2" diameter 'jugs' will work ok in some situations, you need to consider whether you will be able to see such a small jug at the maximum distance they might be from you. I jug the Arkansas River, and often have to try to spot jugs that are over 1/2 mile away, so the smallest diameter I can get away with is that of a 2-liter soda jug. Below is a picture of a foam noodles out on the water. Yes, there's actually a jug out there, you just have to look very closely to see the tiny white dot.

Attached Files:

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use pink or green or orange noodles, i cut them in half.
    I cover the top with chrome duct tape. Then to make the legal i tape over half of the noodle with bright white duct tape. I ancor my jugs so that they do not move around too much. The most i have seen mine be dragged around was about 50 yards.
    When i used the big Gatorade bottles they got dragged all over the lake by 5lb fish.

9. FlashGordon

FlashGordon New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've been using the big plastic containers for kitty litter. (4 cats _____ a lot:confused2:) They are large enough I can wrap my line around a stick and stuff it inside for storage. I also use a brick to anchor my jugs. Haven't lost any this way. But, I'm going back to trot lines as my jugs are taking a lot of work compared to trotlines for the same or fewer fish.
    Welcome to BOC. Tight lines!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Whenever you're using anchored jugs, you've got to be careful that you don't use a weight heavy enough to sink your jug if a cat drags your jug to deeper water. Of course, you could use a weight so heavy that it's impossible for a cat to move it, but it takes all the fun out of jugging having to pull up a concrete block every time I need to check a jug. Personally, I don't like to use a weight more than half the floatation capacity of my jug. My 2 liter jugs will support about 4#, so I use a 2# weight for my anchored jugs.

11. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    This is some great info guys. Thanks. :big_smile:

12. martomhan

martomhan New Member

State:
    Texas
    We made the jugs using the yellow noddles (pool toys). They work very well. Read about it in a Crappie magazine. I had never heard of useing the noddles before.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For you Texas guys, I've heard reports of tickets being handed out because the ENTIRE jug wasn't white!

14. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    Yes this is true they must be white (entirely)