Texas Catfisherman

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by tobystan_2000, Nov 28, 2006.

1. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I noticed while parusing the South Carolina Catfishing forum that there are single threads with hundreds, some up to 600 posts. It sure would be nice to see some action here like there is there.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its the same with the Louisiana Red River fishermen, Arkansas does ok, and so does Oklahoma. I don't know why the numbers aren't there for Texas, of course, we do have a lot of lakes and streams to fish, though the river folk are a bit low in representation.

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Also, many lakes have their own active forums for posting. Personally, I got to be honest here, I don't really want to read or remember a thread with that many post.

4. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    I would like to think that they are too busy fishin'!!

5. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    i would like to get one started so that i can find out how the fishing is going in the texas areas. I know that i am still learning the sport and my family doesnt catfish that much by r&r. I would like some people to talk to in texas on how to bring em in.

6. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    how is the fishing goin in your areas. how about some recent stories on fishing trips.

7. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    Been fishing out on the East fork of San jacinto. I have been catching a bunch of Blues during the Winter. I only go out when temp is between 65-70 degrees. Last couple of times, they have been biting on cut shad and shrimp. Did catch my fisrt Opp. Had to throw it back since it was only 10". Actively looking for those flatheads, hoping I can find some spots on the lake come spring time.

8. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    I've been too busy on the GREEN!!! :embarassed:

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Manny, are you launching at E. End Park or driving over to BJ's?

10. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    maybe now that deer season is over more people will start posting. i know i am going fishing tomorrow for the 1st time in 2 months due to hunting. we are gonna fish a bayou and will be fishing for reds and catfish up the bayou. will report later.

11. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    I agree...let's get it going. i've been a lurker here for a long time but recently joined and love it. Great Site with a ton of useful info. I would ove to try cattin somewhere outta state and this would be the place to try and hook up with a fellow brother..awesome

12. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    Greyloon,
    I have gone out both places. I did move back to West fork- I seem to catch more over there. When the weather gets warmer, I have access to a put-in near waldon and will hit those deep spots by the powerlines and train tressel. I really want to catch some flatheads. I am sidelined with this weather. The river is full of foam. I may go bank fishing this weekend if it clears up.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    C. Kayaker, I haven't had a lot of luck at the Kings River park bank fishing lately.
    Last time out, I had six rods out and only caught three fish. Pleasant enough day, but disappointing. It may be better this weekend with the rise in the water. I think that the bait fish either have moved farther off the bank or to deeper water.

If the water is still flowing good, you may want to try Palisades Falls. In rising water, it can be good there. I've had luck below the W. Lake Houston Bridge, no biggies, except for a 5 lb drum (gasper gou). Going to fish Armand Bayou with a friend probably on Saturday, he caught a 31 lb blue there not long ago, also reds, trout, and flounder from the same area. Either Sunday or Monday, depending on the weather and how fast the water is flowing, I'm thinking about going just above the bridge, anchoring, and fishing there.

14. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas
    Greyloon,
    You are much more hardcore than me. I will sit out until weather is more favorable. I am going through some fishing withdrawals. I do plan to go to Lake Sam Raburn and Livingston in upcoming months. I also have been eyeballing a place off of I-10 near the Trinity, Lake Charlote. It has access to the Trinity. I have gone to the dark side-I have been stting trot lines and have caught piles of fish - big ones 5+ lb blues. I also got a real fishfinder and have been exploring the west fork up river of bridge for structure. Congrats on your trip to Rayburn. Any hints on put-ins?

15. Cajun Kayaker

Cajun Kayaker New Member

State:
    Texas

16. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    C. Kayaker, there is a boat ramp up river about 3-4 miles from the 59 bridge. Its a subdivision ramp, but its not used I don't think, its silted in and your can't launch a power boat there anymore. Its fenced with a low pipe fence and gated, but the gate is never locked. Still, I wouldn't leave my vehicle inside the fence area, but it would be a place to launch. Spring Creek comes into the W. Fork about 2 miles above the bridge, then its a couple of miles to the ramp.

An option could be for us to get together, put out at Jesse Jones Park, leaving one vehicle at the pay park there at 59 and Hamblen...$5 fee, and float down. Jones closes at dusk. They don't allow you to launch and retrieve there.

17. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Maybe that hunting season is coming to a close there will be more post here by our Texas brothers I have some water in the river, Sabine now so I will let you know what is going on with the Sabine, Toledo and Sam Rayburn.

18. 1hws

1hws New Member

State:
    GA
    Well I have talked to my family that lives in the Houston area, and they say the catfishing is doing well in lake Livingston and Lake Conroe. My cusin said he caught about six blues that weighed in around 30+ lbs at Lake Livingston and in Conroe he said he caught some flatheads around 20+ lbs and a bunch of 2-3 lbs Blues that he took home to eat.

I hope that helps you out some

19. tobystan_2000

tobystan_2000 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anyone had any luck at Tawakoni or Ray Hubbard recently? I haven't had the boat out on the water since just before Thanksgiving, but with the weather we've been having, I sure have the itch. My 7 year old is ready to hit the water, too. Any reports from these two lakes would be great! Take care guys!

20. TBill

TBill New Member

State:
    Texas
    For out of country (Texas) fishing, try the Tennessee River between Pickwick Dam and Savannah. World class blue cats!