Texas Catfish Lakes

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by TX Catman, Dec 22, 2006.

1. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    This summer in Texas I was having more trouble then last year catching catfish. Is it because the lakes are so low? Is it the bait I use (what are some good baits)?

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    where were u fishing? what baits were u using?

3. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I had one of my best years this year. The low lake levels restricted the cats location. They were mostly deep this year knot very many shallow for me.

4. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    well i never really caught any big cats, i always seem to catch alot of little ones, but this year i dont catch very many of those. where in the lakes should i fish?? ive tried by the dam, but all i got was little ones.. i tried alot of places that looked good but no big ones.. any help?

5. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    What lakes have you been fishing? Your best bet on bait is shad or a punch bait. Danny Kings is a really good punch bait.

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Some of the best producing lakes this year for me were Ray Roberts,Fork,Tawakoni,Grapevine.

Ray Roberts - First flathead - 11ish# with around 15 other fish 2-3ish#
    Fork - over 1 weekend with 8 people we caught over 200 cats with 2 of them being a 45 and 55# flathead
    Tawakoni - 19 cats 2-3 # each
    Grapevine - 18#,24#,28#,and 32.5#(avatar pic) blue cats throughout the spring/summer, that all broke my previous record of 15#'s.

Which lakes are you fishing or what area in Texas? I can probably give you some idea when I know this as ive fished or know people that have fished just about every lake around at leats the north half of Texas.

Shad and live perch are what most of our fish were caught on. A few on shrimp, tortilla, and worms.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've no complaints. Its only the second year I fished primarily for catfish and did well on Lake Houston. Low water is a funny thing. It affects fishing, but the fish do have to eat and will take the bait if you can find them, low or high water.