Texas Bull Reds

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by scline999, Oct 17, 2006.

1. scline999

scline999 New Member

State:
    Highland Village,TEXAS
    Going down to the gulf this weekend(Gilchrist, Tx.) Any body got any tips to catching fish. We have only been once. Last year in same location we caught a good amount of bull reds on mullet.

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Scott, I'm a lil further south along the coast than where your going to be fishing. My home water is Port Oconner. The reds are definately starting to run right now. We tear em up every year..... Med. Heavy to Heavy
    rods - 30 - 40 lb test line and 7/0-8/0 hooks. (my preference is Kahle)
    Live mullet rigged with a 1 oz egg sinker and allow them to swim and take the line where they may go. Have your rods securely anchored to a truck or boat and let the fight begin..... You're going to have a blast.... Good luck sorry I couldn't be of greater help...
    Shelby

Ohhh and by the way... Don't keep the fish they don't eat very well. You'll have your choice of dark red and light red meat.... The reason the slot is 20"-28" is because a fish larger than 28" is always female.... Great for CPR.... Keep us posted....

3. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Great advice above. I to fish the port oconner port lavaca area. Like he said live mullet( 4 to 6 inches) tears em up. Our biggest so far is 43". If the mullet is working or u just want to try another option, try some frsh crab, might get you some very big black drum as well. Good luck to ya.

4. scline999

scline999 New Member

State:
    Highland Village,TEXAS
    Thanks for the feed back guys. I'll let you know how we do.

5. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    scott,i fished down at rockport last week and did pretty well with finger mullet on a carolina rig. i also caught eating size fish on gold spoons. try to find drains or passes to catch migrating fish. the post above about securing your rod is excellent advise.good luck.
    matt

6. scline999

scline999 New Member

State:
    Highland Village,TEXAS
    What are other good game fish down there for eating.

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    of course the speckled trout, but some often overlooked fish that are scrumptous include sand trout, whiting, and my favorite croaker. also its hard ta beat a broiled flounder.

8. scline999

scline999 New Member

State:
    Highland Village,TEXAS
    What do you catch the trout and flounder on?

9. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    the staple bait for specks is live shrimp fished under a popping cork, but small live croakers are deadly for large trout as well. theres also an artificial shrimp thats been pretty hot called D.O.A. shrimp too.
    for the flounder, i recommend mud minnows if you can get em, or live shrimp fished about a foot off the bottom.
    for croakers, dead shrimp works fine.

10. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have had good luck on flounder bouncing a jig with rubber tail as you would for bass.Cought 40'' redfish on cut up ladyfish.Had a larger one hooked but was broken off.Should have did better job rigging.
    Jake

11. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    For flounder go to any tackle shop and buy a speckled trout rig. The ones that work best for me have one yellow jig with the tip colored pink and the other jig is white with the tip colored pink. As far as trout go I'd use the 4"-6" shad red with white tail. Or watermelon colored shad with white tails.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck.