Tested some different lines today....

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by kyelkhunter3006, Mar 26, 2008.

1. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Wednesday is one of my days off, so I decided to do an impromptu test of some line I had laying around. Not very scientific, but I tried to eliminate variables to be consistent. I took an 18" length of line, tied double surgeon's loops in each end, and put on loop on the hook of my Shimano fishing scale, and the other was hooked over the jaws of my bench vise (padded with duct tape to prevent the line from rubbing the sharp edge). I did it 5 times with each line to see what poundage my scale read when the line broke.

Results:

6lb Cajun red Cast--broke at 6lbs on the nose each time

14lb Cajun red Cast--broke at average of 13lbs

14lb Stren Original Clear Blue--average break of 18lbs

14lb Silver Thread AN40--broke at average of 12lbs

8lb Bass Pro Excel--average break of 9lbs

For abrasion tests, I took the duct tape off the jaws of the vise. It has semi-serrated jaws, you could say. The edges feel sharp to my fingers. I took six 12" lengths of line, (one in each type of line) tied loops in the ends for my fingers, and hooked the line over the jaws. The line rubbed the top and bottom edges of the jaws. I pulled the line back and forth until it broke.

Results:

6lb Cajun cast--9 pulls

14lb Cajun cast--14 pulls

14lb Stren Original Clear Blue--24 pulls

14lb Silver Thread AN40--13 pulls

8lb Bass Pro Excel--10 pulls

30lb Bass Pro Excel (just to satisfy curiosity)--37 pulls

Both spools of Cajun, and the Silver Thread, are brand new, just bought a few days ago. The Stren is left over from last year, and the Bass Pro line is at least 5 years old. I do keep all of my line stored out of the sun, in a cool, dry area of the garage.

I found it pretty interesting that the 14lb Stren just flat out whipped the other 14lb lines, even though its been a year since I bought it. I also thought it interesting that the 6lb and 8lb lines seemed to be more consistent to their ratings than the heavier line.

I'm kind of disappointed in the Silver Thread though, after reading many positive reviews on other sites and forums. I really like how the line does when casting on my equipment, and it seemed to be a tough line with a smaller diameter. I might fish the season with it and see how it does, I'm undecided as of yet. A couple of pounds in the break rating shouldn't mean much, but when I buy a certain pound test, I want it to be as least as strong as the rating states.

I found that I don't care for the Cajun Red at all. I had the 6lb on a light spinning reel, and it tangled/looped, and birdnest something awful. I always fill the spool to within about an 1/8" or so, and it wouldn't keep from tangling until I pulled enough line off of the spool to where it was 1/4" from the lip. Then I lost a bit of casting distance with light lures. I had the 14lb Cajun on a Quantum 1310, and the 14lb Silver Thread on another Qauntum 1310. The Silver Thread definitely cast and handled much better than the Cajun for me.

I'm probably going to keep it up with good old Stren Clear Blue for most of my fishing, as I've used it for years without one problem. It seems that at least in this test, it is the superior 14lb line both in strength and abrasion resistance, and it's always cast and handled well for me in past use. I've also used the Bass Pro Excel somewhat too, and can't complain a bit about it. I like the 8lb really well on spinning reels.

So, like I said, not real scientifc tests, but I thought that I'd share anyway.

Chris

2. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Chris, Thanks for the info! I have always liked Stren Hi-Vis yellow for my light fishing reels. Good stuff!:wink:

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thanks for the information Chris... Sometimes when i am bored i do things like that :wink:... My line of choice is Sufix 12lb broke at 15 1/2 ... and 20 broke at just over 25...The Cajun is tough line I however agree with you on its birdnesting problem...

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I've been debating on giving Sufix Elite a run, not sure if I will or not. From what I hear, it's a good line with low memory and it's a good combination of limpness and abrasion resistance. My mainstay lines have always been Stren Original and Ande Premium.

I'm not a big Trilene fan, it always seems wiry to me. I know that the strength is great, but when you take really thin 20lb test and mark it as 12lb line, well, of course you're going to have the strongest line in that lb test. I guess that it wouldn't sell as well if they marketed it as "World's Thinnest" instead of "World's Strongest". I can see a line breaking 5 or 6 lbs over it's rating, but I've seen tests where Big Game 50lb broke at almost 70lbs. Sorry, that's not 50lb test IMO. I saw another test where 30lb Big Game broke at 44lbs.

I like to know what the line is going to break at, or close to it. I think that one of the reasons people break rods it because they buy a rod rated for say, 12lb test, and spool up with a 12lb or 14lb line (maybe even higher) that's not going to break until it hits 25 or 30lbs of pull. I see posts all the time that say "well, if you set your drag..." and that is important. It's also important to make sure that everything is in balance, including the line you use. We all know, most recreational anglers that are not targeting the big and bad fish don't worry about the drag setting until it's too late. Surprise! Big fish, locked down drag, line that's way overtest, SNAP! there goes the $25 Wal-Mart combo. I'm sure that they'd have rather had the line snap than the rod break.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The Seige is a bit more abrasion resistant than the Elite. Its a bit more stiffer but still better than some... I found maybe its me the Seige seems to hold knots a bit better than its sister line .......who knows i am still trying to figure how tie knots properly...lol...:smile2:

PS what knots did you use....

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the always helpful info

7. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I agree with you about the Stren. My husband loves Spiderwire, but I just can't stand it. The Stren always has a better feel to it when casting and is easier to knot. Spiderwire is too much like thread. I only use thread to cross stitch or crochet - NOT FISH!!:big_smile:
    Deb

8. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    it IS practical. You took something we're all interested in and made it understandable.

Great test.

Thanks, Chris