Test Results, Shad vs Chicken Breast

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by dinkbuster1, Sep 14, 2007.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    almost forgot to post the results from our experiment putting fresh shad up against raw boneless chicken breast for channel cats. after hearing rumors of how well chicken breat does i just had to try it. the results....CHICKEN BREAST BLEW AWAY THE SHAD! 2 channels on the shad, 9 on the chicken breast. baits were staggered shad, breast, shad, breast etc in the same general area. not only did we get more on chicken, but they were much bigger fish. the shad takers were both about a pound where the chicken lovers were between 4-6lb. i posted this on a local forum also. a member there tried it out that evening. he was fishing with 2 poles with live gills, and 2 poles with the chicken breast chunks. the gills got passed by all night and the chicken breast produced an 18lb flattie! who woulda thunkit!

2. Skunk River Cat

Skunk River Cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm surprised. I never would have guessed chicken over shad. Thanks for posting the results.

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I assume you are talking about fresh cut shad?

4. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Never would of thought it. Did the turtles eat the chicken also LOL

5. bigmaac73

bigmaac73 Member

State:
    Lenoir City, TN
    Oh yeah, I have been using chunks of chicken breast marinated in garlic powder as my secret down on some local ponds for years and tear the channels up with it. They cant get enough. Doesn't bring in alot of big fish, but you will get more than your share of eaters. Thanks for posting your experiment.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Interesting report Dink! How big a chunk of chicken were you using and what type hook and size? I may give this a try so I'm curious about your set-up!

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    was using about a quater sized peice of chicken brreast. was also using a 4/0 circle hook. as far as Jackfish (boc member as well) i dont know exactly what size bait or hook he was using when he caught the flattie.

8. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    When buying chicken breast for the grill I always trip the fat and the part that look like you don't want to eat. I place this in small zip loc bags for future trips. Always catch cats on this but normally always use shad.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Flathunter laughed at me when I showed up once w/ chicken breasts soaked in Ainse Oil. (got the recipe off the net). I said next year I'm going to use that kind of stuff more than Shad if Shad become hard to get like they were this year.

10. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Where were you fishing Mike? Not what spot, but what waters..LOL

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    great miami river. i have tried it twice now in two seperate pools of the GMR (one north of dayton and one farther south) with the same results.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Will it catch that all exclusive GMR Blue Cat? :smile2:

13. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    the thangs 1 can learn on here..I probably would have given up fishing before heading out with chicken for bait...I did once throw a dead chicken in my pond that I accidently ran over..guts hanging out and such..with in a minute a big channel cat came up to the bank and took off with the the whole chicken..

14. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    Is this fresh chicken with skin ? Do you soak it in garlic or anything ? I got to try this.

15. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    chicken has been a pay lake bait for years. Last week they were catching them on chicken and peppermint. I know it will catch farm raised but river cats i didn't think it would work. strawberry jello mix is the best thing to soak the chicken in. Thinks for the expermeny ,next time i going totake some chicken.

16. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ok, here you go. i just got my new 7'9" Catmaxx rods last night. this weekend i am going to get some fresh chicken breast and marinate 1/4 in stawberry jello, 1/4 in garlic, 1/4 in orange soda (you never know), and leave the rest plain. i will post my results and let you know how i do. these will be the only baits that i use.

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    one summer on trip to idaho, i spent night on the salmon river. didn't have worms, so decided to try some chicken skin. caught both small mouths and a trout on it. since, have used at times for catfish and caught them.
    gary

18. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Mike. Very cool - very good to know.

19. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've always wondered about using a whole chicken breast for fishing. I think I may try it out this weekend. They are about the same size as the shad fillets I use, so it might just do the trick.

20. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've had some luck with chicken breast. I cut them into pieces then add a can of sardines(in water) and mix it all up in a container.