Test line strength

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TX Fisherman, Jun 18, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    what size test line do yall use??? one of our brothers set a new test line record for the like 130ib test line class with an 85ib blue??? i was wondering if thats about teh sized everyone used??? when ever i go catfishin i usually use about 20ib mono and turn the drag down... i caught a 30ib carp with 4ib test and i was just wondering if anyone did the same thing as i did, use light test to land big fish?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd say it depends on weather they were meat fishing or fun fishing. You use different tactics under these conditions.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I fish for fun so I use 20lb test.

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I use 20-50# test. 50# most on the river.

5. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The water I fish normally doesn't produce channels of more than 10lbs, although there are rumors of bigger ones. My fishing buddy doesn't use anything bigger than 12lb. test. And as he says, you can land anything, if you set your drag right and don't "horse" them. I prefer 20lb mono, mainly because we have zebra mussels that will chew thru light stuff, my buddy is always getting chewed off, I never do. So I guess it just depends on your situation. Oh, also the water we fish doesn't have alot of nasty bottom structure, it's usually pretty snag free, so again that makes a difference. Since you don't have to worry about them running under a big old log and needing to horse them out from underneath it.

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    on my baitcasters i use 40# braided remington, on my closed face i use 20#mono. i had a fish break the 20 #mono once, but my reel had locked up so i couldnt use the drag.

7. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    it depends on fun or serious fishing i would use heavier line for serious fishing because i want to be serious and not get disappointed by losing a big one

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if im fishing small rivers where i know im not likely to run across a realy big fish i use 20 lb.line.when im fishing the arkansas river or a lake where im fishing for big fish i use 65 lb.powerpro.

9. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    THE HIGHEST LINE WEIGHT THAT I USE ON FLATTIES AND CARPIS 14LB LINE

10. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    30-50 pound mono, and braid is what ever i can afford over 40 pounds. i like useing mono around here because of all the snags.

11. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    I use a diffrent size line on all my rods ranging from 10lb to 30lb. I also usually use braided lines. I just pray the 50lb fish dosent jump on my 10lb test line.

12. catsandman

catsandman New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    You can't beat 50lb PowerPro.

13. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i use 20lb suffix or triple fish only because where i fish is very hangy and if it gets hungup really bad iwant to be able tobreak it off re rigg and keep fishing

14. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I like to use 50# braid line. I like the new ugly stick Braided lines

15. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    i use 60lb cajun line and it works great but it matters were you are fishing at and how big the fish are