Test for Master Electrician

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bootshowl, Feb 4, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I retired from a major utility company early after they were bought from foreighn interest twice....took an early package. I'm only 55 yrs, so have a little steam left in me. I was a control electricain, handled all substation electrics for the gas dept. from lighting to control, auxilliary, motors, etc.
    To moonlight some, need my license and have to take a test from the ICC for Master Electrician. Is it very tough? Advice would be appreciated from all the electricians out there. (Utility Companys and employees are exempt from the ICC, why even though I progressed in my career from helper to journeyman, over 20 years, never took the test.) I've helped a lot of friends and calls keep coming, so I finally thought, why not?

2. talk2sampson

talk2sampson New Member

State:
    smithville mo
    Retiring should mean less work and more fishing. I need to take the masters test too. Ive heard its a very hard test and filled with lots of stuff you'll never use. Author Mike Holt has some books that might be useful to ya. If your not aware of these books already they are supposed to help you prepare for electrical exams. He also sells tabbed and higlighted code books. http://www.mikeholt.com/index.php?id=homegeneral These books and training videos can also be found on ebay. Good luck and let me know if you find and other helpful info.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've had my license since 96. The NC test is pretty rough and I never studied for it which is probally why I took the thing 5 times.
    Our test is 100 questions multiple choice and they'll tell you right up front that out of the 4 possible answers 3 could be right but only one is real right.:roll_eyes:
    Reading comprehension is crucial and knowing where to look in the code book without indexing helps a WHOLE LOT.

4 out of the 5 times I took the test I missed a question on calculating the load for a 6 unit apartment building. I was doing the calculation perfectly every time and going on to size the service.
    I was getting this question wrong every time because I was jumping the gun on the question. I should have been stopping when I got the total VA load instead of carrying it all the way through.
    It was the wording getting me. They know exactly where you'll screw up.
    You'll figure a calculation wrong and the answer you came up with is one of the multiple choice answers!
    Read the questions more then once.
    With a NC license I think I can contract in 5 other states including Florida.

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I pulled wire for a lot of years and we had all the work we could get done.I was working under the other guys license and I think I could have passed the test but I just didn't have the time to take it.I cought that guy skimming money and not paying the supply bills so we had a parting of ways and I got of that line of work.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks for the replys guys. Appreciate it. I'd heard it was a lil money maker for em. $100 a pop for the computer exam. $50 for the paper exam but it is a very limited event, and far to drive for the paper exam, so I'm stuck with the computer one at a local university, not too far, just over the river. Wanted to bring this back to the top as I know there are more electricians out there. Fire back at me brothers, Momma needs new shoes.
    :smile2:

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Read every question thrice and look it up even if you know the answer. You might run across one of those exceptions to the rule.
    If its got you stumped come back to it if the computer allows you.

The frst time I took it it was an 8 hour exam with lunch catered in and your score had to be a 70 or better.
    Every time I took it after that time it a 6 hour exam, no lunch, no break and you had to have a score of 75.
    For example. At the time Wake county alone had over 800 license holders living in it.
    Changing the rules and making the test harder and harder is their form of population control.

Check into JCR code productions. He was doing classes in several states at one time and offers lifetime code interpretation if you take his class.
    I took it before the first test I took. He helped me tremendously in the use of a code book.
    He has written the state exam for several states therefore knows just about to a T what's on them.
    What I like about his class. He has a 2 day 20 hour class. He gits it on. He teaches 20 hours of class without picking up a code book. He knows it by heart word for word for the most part.
    The problem with the long drawn out classes that happen 1 or 2 nights a week for several months is that its alot of wasted time. You'll burn up half your class time listening to war stories. Jeff Rodriquez teaches only allowing very limited case points or war stories.
    You'll leave with a 1000 question practice test and work book and you can buy videos on subject topics like bonding and grounding or calculations
    His motto is "code made simple"
    He does simplify the calculations a whole lot compared to those examples given in the code book. And he simplifies the use of the book which is a big part of the battle.