Test for bluegill

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by WaltonsMountain, Jul 30, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I haven't fished for bluegill since I was a kid but have been reading on the forums that both live and cut bluegill work pretty good for bait. I was searching through my tackle box and the lightest test line I have is 12lb. Will this work for bluegill or do I need to go lighter?

Thanks!

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    That should work. For me its more on the hook size then the line. They wont put up much of the fight.

3. liplifter

liplifter New Member

State:
    indiana
    You can use rope with a hook on it in most ponds

4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yea, that's what I've got on mine for catching gills. Don't need it that big, but that's what I had on and figure if a nice sized bass jumps on the worm then at least I've got some stronger line and might have some bigger bait!

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It has its ups and downs.Heavier line will be harder to throw cause you'll need a little weight to throw..Bream do not respond well to weight..If they feel just a little they'll just peck your bait till its gone..Its better to use lite tackle on bream and the smallest lightest weight and cork.A small spool of 4 or 6 lb line is only 3-4 bucks.Sure like these guys said you can catch bream with just about any size line.My bream rig is a Abu Cardinal 101 w/6lb line no weight with the smallest balsa cork I can find..

6. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I have to agree with this post. You can catch them on heavier line but you can do it much easier and have more success with the lighter line. Use light line and small hook and your be doing good.

7. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    I agree with the previous two posts, plus an added benefit of using the lighter line is you get a better fight!!:big_smile:

8. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    I use a ultralite rod with 4lb and catch about all of our perch on a small single hook rooster tail, when You hook those 5 to 8 inchers they sure put up a heck of a battle.

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bluegills are hard not to catch. The best thing you can use for them IMO is a fly rod with a size 10 hook and a wax worm. They can't resist the things. So far my record is right about 60 nice gills in an hour!

10. bent_pole

bent_pole New Member

State:
    harrodsburg, kentucky
    I agree with Double L on the ultra lite rig.....that alone has given me a new passion for bluegill fishing. That lite rig puts a whole new enjoyment to catching those little boogers....:big_smile:

11. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i like the smallest line possible, you probably can catch em with heavy line,,, i just never could

12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    lighter the rig better for the success of catching gills and all other bait....personally i had a crappie rod that is i think 9 foot long but it has an ultra sensitive tip and 4 lb test line on it...makes it easy to get into some of those tight spots without having to cast so much....old man i used to fish with used a simple cane pole to catch his bait (gills)

13. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I mostly use a fly rod with a small chartruse popper bug. Catching the bait can be as much fun as using it for bait.

14. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is sufficient.. heck 20 lb. line could catch bluegills. Just use a cricket, redworm, or buy you a REBEL Crickhopper lure at walmart and tear em up! Hope this helps.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use 4# fireline, it has 2# diameter. in the summer that's my bait rod, and in the winter it's my crappie and trout rod. if all you have is 12# line i am positive it will work.

16. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    I think 12# will work fine. I've caught them on 20#, but 10# seems to work better for me, and 12# is pretty close to that, so you should be fine. :wink:

17. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They sure are fun on an ultralight with 6# line. if they seem to always swallow the hook go to the next larger hook, that will cut down on the dead gills.

18. tightlines10

tightlines10 New Member

State:
    california
    I love blue gill fishing but i don't eat em i use them live for flathead.

19. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I use my little boy's spider man or spongebob combo to catch mine:smile2: Works like a charm everytime.

20. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Now you had to go high tech on us.:roll_eyes: