Test driving Tracker and 2nd thoughts

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by my4x4awd, Jul 19, 2006.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    :confused2:
    Well I'll be test driving the used Tracker Pro team 165 this weekend. The boat has low hours but, you never know, so I'll give it the once over. I am however thinking about if this is the right set up? My current boat is 14ft narrow (old fiberglass runabout) it is open with just a front and rear seats. All the gear and coolers and well, you know goes in the floor. I have never owned a boat with a platform at each end. I have fished out of them. I do some Panfishing on a few lakes around here.

So it would help if you all could talk this up for me and give me some things to thnink about! So any of you all fish rivers with a Tracker like boat and are they stable in choppy water? Anything else.

Thanks

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Craig just test it and then stop in the middle of the water and set there and ponder the lay out of the boat and visualize all the equipment you will want to incorporate into the already existing features and see if it fits to your satisfaction.

As for as the tracker goes at taking chops. It is better then some and worse then others. Try to find some one coming by and cut his waves and see for your self. I always try to put it thru all the things I have questions about.
    I am currently rebuilding one that I acquired and it is all aluminum and I already have a glass boat but I wanted a boat that I could lay out so I gutted this one and started it the way I wanted it. It took me a long time to find the right hull but here soon I will have my set up that is for me.
    Go try it man and if it don't fit then don't buy because it is easier to buy later then to sell and buy later. Good luck on this.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Depending on how you fish, the raised platforms front and rear might or might not be a good thing.

Do you anchor in rivers and fish out of the rear? Do you do that with more than 1 fisherman in the boat? A raised platform will make both difficult.

Do you drift fish? The raised platform gets you (and the center of gravity) up higher, so if you drift sideways to the wind, you'll rock more with the waves and wind. Some say that affects the action of the bait underwater and can deter you from getting bites.

But the bottom line is, as Bubba says, take it out for a spin and visualize how you'd set it up for your kind of fishing. Don't visualize how the boat best lends itself to being set up for fishing, but how YOU want to set it up.

Maybe it's the right boat, maybe not. You won't know for sure till you go take it for a ride.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm no boat pro like Willard so I can only tell you I have a Tracker Pro Crappie 175... not sure the difference in it and the 165. I've had mine about three years and don't have any complains. I think it's pretty stable. I bought it for crappie fishing and it's made for that. I upgraded to a 60 hp 4 stroke. (normally comes with a 25 HP) Mine had a broken bait tank pump suction that caused me some water problems until I found it. I'm sure it was broken during installation at the factory. I've had no other problem with the boat or Merc motor.

Good luck.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I have a proteam 185 tourney model and I use it for cat and most fish and for bass when I am in waters I do not want to put my ranger. It is a very fine boat for most needs trolling with the downriggers works fine but its a bit uncomfortable to get to the pole on the dr becasue it is a bass boat. Stable super stable ride well at 32mph with it on smooth water its great get into big chops i have to slow down it will buck your teeth out as most boats of this nature will. most any bassboat with be a very stable platform to fish from. I will leave the deck seats extensions out and just sit in the seat when I am catfishing nice and comfy. Mine has dual live wells which is fantastic i use the aft one for fish the front one for a ice chest. as far as other boats going by me its fine. you can go to my website which is in my profile and see pics of the tracker and see how it is setup if you want more detailed pics of how it is setup for other typs of fishing pm me and ill email you some pics. but it all comes down to one thing go for a ride in it drive it find a cover then drop the trolling motor setup the bow seat and run it around in the cover with it see how it feels it may take a bit to get used to. only you can decide if it is for you or not but i know I love my old tracker for what I use it for. Infact I am considering selling it as I dont use it very much anymore but I will buy another tracker to replace it more suied for my trolling I do.

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I have a front and rear deck on mine and love it. When panfishing it is easier to cast under docks etc. Cat fishing is no problem either. I will never buy another boat with out platforms.
    Bill

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    T,I don't want to subvert this thread but your point about the boat rocking causing problems while drift fishing is a good one.Many say it is a problem many don't .Perhaps we need to start a thread or at least a discusion on the subject to gather more info.It could help folks decide about what boat to buy,certainly dependant on how they fish.:smile2:

8. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I prefer not to have a "platform" type boat for a couple of reasons:

It's easier to reach the water to wash hands, lip a fish, etc.
    Elderly/unstable folks find it more awkward trying to move around on those boats.
    Generally have less room for moving around too.

For these reasons, I sold my Lowe 175 a few years ago and kept my jon boat.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Guys there is a product on the market that helps with the rocking considerable and I will post some pixs soon and start a new thread on this.

10. Cause They're Big

Cause They're Big New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    I just got a '89 Tracker Pro 17 with a 2003 50 HP Nissan 2 stroke. The platforms are taking a little bit of getting used to. I'm used to flat bottom with those uncomfortable benches. It cuts the water a lot better, but there's a lot more to get in the way. It just depends on what you are looking for. The Tracker has more amenities than a jon, but less than a big ol' glass boat. It was the perfect mix for me. I have a question, though, that I'm sure someone here will be able to answer. I fish the Arkansas River, mostly, and I'm wondering what prop to use. I have a stainless steel 15 and an aluminum 17. Could anyone give me some advice about fuel usage, speed, or just what to expect with either of them. Thanks guys.

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Craig, I've had a '99 Tracker Pro Team 165 with a 40hp Merc for about 1 year now, and for my purposes I really like it. I usually fish (lakes) by myself or with my wife, and have found it to be very stable. However, when you're up on the front platform & the water's choppy, it seems like it will rock your eye teeth out, but in the aft there's no problem. It's great on gas and gets up on plane very easily. And it's easy for me to load/unload by myself.

12. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Well I got some good advice from you all. Good thoughts Willard and Pat. I did take it out today and It would only get up to about 4100 rpms and about 26 mph. I sat there in the boat and the only seat I felt comfortable in, was the floor seats for the driver and passenger. The front platform was a little shaky and the boat rolled too much for my taste. The rear deck wasn't too bad alittle more stable, but I like to be up front. Yje other issue i see is space and I would worry about knocking stuff out or worst myself at night. So even though it is a good deal I thinks I'll have to pass. Again I thank you all for the thought, It kept me from making a mistake.

Craig

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Glad you did the test and if it wouldn't come up to 4100 r's then she was ready for a good carb cleaning from setting to long.

14. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    the body of water comes into play quite a bit as well.

I picked up a 17 ft tracker in the spring and have fished in it around 15 times since then. I have only one regret...i wish it was the deep V style rather then the bass boat style. The decks on the front and rear are really nice when we chucks lures, drift fish or whatever....the problem comes with other vessels. On the cumberland at times...you get these large freakin yacht's that have a wake that is 4-5 foot...i dread them MUCH more than the barges that you can read about.

i would guess if you plan on fishin in larger lakes that can experience strong winds..that would also cause for some interestin wave action.

cyas
    rc