Test cold waters - catfishing in cold water!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by catinaldatime, Nov 29, 2008.

1. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    getting ready to go try some cold water catin.i will let yall know how it goes.

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Where you heading?

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You better and with pics. LOL!

4. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    went to a pond that i catch them in,caught 3 about 2 1/2 pounds a peice,trust me they were not hitting,it was very ruff,yea they would pick it up and run,but that was after they nibbled it for like a min.dont get me wrong the bluegill were hitting,im tellin ya the water is cold,the catfish just came right to the top and rolled,didnt fight at all.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good luck Charlie. I hope you wear them out.

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Wonder how Baldwin is doing.. haven't had a chance to fish in quite some time.

7. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    dan fished baldwin the day after thanksgiving,didnt get 1 bite,he said they must have been messing with the hot water because it was chilli,now baldwin is getting backwards for them fish,its super hot in the summer time, then they dont keep the water at a steady temp in the winter,sangchris does same thing in winter,coffeen always has a steady temp.beacuse if 1 day the water is 74 in the hot ditch then they dont run hot water for 2 days,trust me,with that current still moving its going to get cold in no time.them fish dont like that.i like being on a hot ditch reaching down feeling the water and its well super warm,if u reach down and the water has a bite to it and your in a hot ditch,call um up and tell them to pump tha dam hot water your tring to fish!lol,j/k.

8. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I went out to Litchfields Lake Lou Yeager Saturday. Fished for about 2 hours and caught 10 pretty nice channels. I wasn't expecting it be a good bite. But after getting a double within 10 minutes of setting up I began to change my mind.
    The water temp was 39 degrees. I was using small shad heads. Found them in about 10 feet of water off a rock point.

9. DaltongangRacing1

DaltongangRacing1 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello Everybody, I went Sat. down at Mattoon Lake, caught three 1 flathead and 2 yellow bellies. None of them fought they just bumped 1 or 2 times then just laid there, didnt even know they were on til i checked my bait.

10. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    wow nice job for litchfield lake thats my home town grew up on that lake,caught some nice ones out of there,but im very surprised i only caught 3 channel saturday and u caught 10 on lake lou.so could we say that shad did the trick,cus i was using bluegill.and thats funny because i was using little gill heads.was u fishing the north end or south,north is shallow and south is deep,anyway nice job brother.

11. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    welcome to the boc brother,and nice job on ur catch.

12. skeezaveli

skeezaveli New Member

State:
    illinois
    yeah, i do alot of camping and skiing out at lou yager....well....alot of boat riding...lol...can't ski wortha crap!! anyways....yeah that northern side where all the camping is....that stays at around 6-10 feet......at the deepest...but on the southern side, where the dam is...boy i've found 40 foot holes over there....and there is a cove, where everybody goes swimming....there's a rope swing in that cove as well (you should know where i'm talking about...but behind the beach everybody runs their boat up to...there's a little backwater "pond" right there....like...walk on the beach and over the little hill.....you'll see it.....chicks usually go back there to urinate..lol...anyways...i've found some flatheads in there that were easily 15#!!! i guess it's my little honeyhole on louie....also if you throw out into the main lake from the same side of the cove...there's a good 40 foot ditch right there about 25 feet from the bank.....other than that...juggin' or really late night fishing from the northern shallow is pretty darn good....i like the sock bait with livers and chopped gills in lou yager....

13. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois

I have pretty good luck out there. Aside from an occasional bullhead, the rest are all nice sized channels. I was fishing around rainmaker cove.

Yep, I was fishing with shad heads. I'd say it was the trick.

I threw the net a couple times by the rocks at marina 1, by the birds, and by the aeroraters with no luck on shad.
    So, I was trolling along inside a cove and noticed some big white blobs on the side imaging, I knew I had found the shad. I turned around and made one throw where the blobs had appeared on the SI. The net was plum full of shad. :big_smile:

This evening I was looking at a snapshot on the computer of the blobs. And thought it was pretty cool. Check it out.

Attached Files:

14. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Was that snapshot taken at Lou?

15. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Yep, that was taken across from marina 1, and those are the shad that caught the kitties.
    I think having to find and catch your bait, to find and catch your catch.... Is one of the great parts of catfishing. It's more gratifying to me than pulling a crankbait out of the tackle box. :confused2:

It seems like i'm eternally learning to read a graph. It's cool to be able to take the snapshots and pick them apart on the monitor at home.
    Here's a picture of the boat I found out at Yeager. This spring, i'm going to put for a valiant effort to raise her from the bottom. :smile2: Just for the "hellofit" factor. :tounge_out:

16. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Forgot the picture. :roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

17. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    Welcome to the BOC Chad. Charlie, I'm sure it won't take you long to figure out cold water catfishing.

18. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I tried a some out on the Ohio 2day and got skunked.

19. Dan the Fisherman

Dan the Fisherman New Member

State:
    Ramsey, Illinois
    Well the water is now pretty much ice except for the river and the coolant lakes. The river by us is actually getting low. We might be able to find a fish or two there but I think I will put my effort into the coolant lakes until spring now. Some of the big lakes have open water but the fishing is much better at Coffeen right now. I think Charlie and I are hitting Coffeen this coming weekend. We both have having withdrawal.

20. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Good luck to you two. I'm thinking about hitting Coffeen Friday morning. We'll see.