TERMITES!!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Oct 19, 2009.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

SUBTERRANEAN TERMITES A.K.A PAIN IN THE @$$$$

ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY A USED TIRE FOR YOUR TRUCK :sad2:.........I WISH GRANDMA WOULDVE BOUGHT ME BUG KILLER INSTEAD OF MY NEW SNAGGING POLES :roll_eyes:

WHICH LEADS ME TO ASK SOME OF YOU GOOOD O` COUNTRY GUYS OUT THERE OR ANYONE ELSE THAT MAY HAVE GOTTEN RID OF TERMITES IN THEIR PAST ?!?!?!?!?!!?!?

!!!!!!!THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!

WE KNEW WE HAD THEM OUTSIDE BUT NEVER SAW ANY SIGNS OF THEM BEING IN THE HOUSE, OR IN OUT CASE IN THE CRAWL SPACE- ADDICT THING (BASICALLY A CRAWL SPACE).....

SO.........ANYONE KNOW ABOUT HOW TO GET RID OF THEM?????? ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRICIATED !!!!!!!!!!!!!

LeRoy

2. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    get some borax soap and baking soda, spread it around the foundation, if you see a mud tunnel going up the wall that is the path they use destroy it, If you spend some more money go to lowes or HD and get some triozine pellets. also if you dry out your craw space it will keep them in check, by this I put in a blower fan to keep the air moving around it runs about a hour or two a day,

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Jeff gave some good pointers. I was at a Dollar General the other day and noticed that they sell containers of boric acid for ants and termites, which is basically Borax. I saw bait stations (spikes) at Home Depot, too; these are pressed into the ground around the house.

Unfortunately, once you see signs of termites in the house it's hard to get rid of them. Many times they enter through the sill plate from inside the cinderblock foundation, tunelling up from fairly deep in the ground. In this case, few ground-applied poisons will reach them. This is why companies like Orkin drill into the block and spray poison into the block voids.

It's always best to get professional help if at all possible. You might be able to set up a payment plan that is more affordable.

If that's not possible, then as Jeff pointed out, dampness is as big of a factor as termites in the area. I am right now trying to save my tool barn; I just dug around a six-inch pressure-treated skid that was below ground level and noticed that termites have eaten through the bottom two inches! I had an Orkin rep warn me that termites eat pressure-treated lumber as well, and I hardly believed him (I do now). Anyway, I have dug the entire skid out as much as possible and am preparing to drench the area in termite poison.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Termites need moisture, so if ya dry it out it helps. Subteranean termites will be able to go underground to get moisture, and they don't like light. They can litterly eat a house to the ground. I hate em. had em all over due to a leakin roof. It don't take much of a crack for em to crawl thru, if ya can get a dime into it they can get thru it. Next is rats. hate em too, they come around when it gets so dry.

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Subterranean termites aint shiznitzs..Try dealing with formosans..Those suckers swarm and can fly..I've seen them eat from the top of a house down unlike subterraneans that live underground..Also what takes a subterranian months to chew up a formosan will anialate in days..As far as getting rid of those suckers well my best advice would be to call in a professional..That by far is the best and most of those guys if you sign a contract with them and have them treat every so often they will waranty there work,so any damage done by termites after treatment will be covered..If thats unaffordable to hire a pro then as the other guys have suggested borax seems to take care of them but the problem with that is they live underground and only a pro can locate and eradicate the ones underground..And also like others have said keep up with maintenance on the house,make sure to fix any leaks and keep plants and trees from growing right up against the house..

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Les makes a good point about clearing out around your house. A lot of folks place wood mulch right up against their foundation...termite bait! I've been guilty of this myself. :embarassed:

I replaced all of the mulch with red rock; the rock wasn't the expensive lava rock but rather the much cheaper quarried red stone that you can buy in bags. It looks nice and seems to draw moisture away from the foundation instead of holding moisture in.

7. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I had them get into my garage:angry:. I had the professionals deal with them. It cost me 800.00 for the initial treatment, and 95.00/year maintenance. It's steep, but I've got a lifetime, transferrable guarantee that they won't be back. It's been 2 years and so far so good.