Tenured school teacher..what to do..??

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BLKCLOUD, Feb 15, 2008.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I guess this is my first experience with such a problem..My daughter is in the 4th grade..her teacher...well the lady who sits at the front of the school room..its un imaginable what she does..the whole class room is like chaos..kids running around hollering screaming..and she does nothing but sit there like she's in lala land..there is a teachers helper in the room also for a special needs child..she is a older lady and the only one who tries to control the room..there is a phone on the wall in there to call the principal and she is constantly going over there and acting like she is calling him..that will work for a few minutes and then its back to normal..and the principal.. he is about as ball-less as anyone i have ever seen...you tell him what is happening and he say's i'll talk to her about it..which nothing ever happens..come to find out this has been going on for years..some of my neighbors have had there kids in this same classroom in the past years and its always the same story..I cant figure out why teachers are not accountable for there actions..i'd like to have a job like this..I'd like to know if there is anything one can do..?? thanks!

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You do have the right to demand a sit down with the teacher and principal. You could also demand another teacher although it's late in the year for that. You could transfer her to another school, or you can use this as a teaching experience and help your daughter recognize that what everybody does is not always right and that she needs to rely on what she knows and what you have taught her about what is right and what is wrong.

All right, I sound kind of preachy, I don't mean to.... That's why my wife handles that at my house lol!

Father of a 4th and 5th grader, I feel your pain.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Using proper chain of command is the way to go for these kinds of things.

If you have sat down witht he principal and teacher and had a discussion in the behaviors reported and lack of classroom managment causing an interferece with the learning environment, then the next step would to go above them and speak with the districts Superintendant or Assistant Superintendant. If things are still going south, ask for the day that the district board of education meets and attend it. It is open for all to attend and should have a spot in the meeting for new business and concerns to be brought to their attention.

If the district board of education refuses to do anything, take it to the country board of education. Things WILL happen there.

Hope it helps.

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Forgot to mention... also keep detailed documentation. Times met with principal and teacher, times met with any school officials, things said and time frame that you believe is satisfactory to rectify the situation. After that time frame for the problem to be fixed, inform the principal that they have left you little choice but to take it further to the superintendant and or school board.

5. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    While the teacher and the school do need to be held accountable what you are seeing, unfortunately, is a sign of the times. I spent eight years teaching at the elementary school level and can speak from some experience.

Follow bwhupp's suggestions on how to approach the problem and you should get some relief.

This is a lot more information than you probably want but...

The problem, however, may be a lot deeper than a bad teacher. As a society we have grown lax in the area of discipline. Many parents object to any form of discipline administered in school. They will show up screaming at the principal or teacher that they don't think it's fair that their child should have to stay after school, do an extra assignment, have a teacher touch their child or raise their voice to them, etc. and threaten a law suit. Many school teachers and school systems are at a loss as to how to handle things. While you may be a concerned and conscientious parent there are just as many out there that don't give a darn. They just want to send the kids off to school without any regard for how they behave there.

When I went to school, the teacher was considered "en loco parente" (in place of the parent) and he/she could discipline the child in the same way a parent would. A few bad teachers ruined things and over did it and that was taken away by the courts. Now, instead of a few bad teachers we have millions of kids who have no sense of discipline. No regard for authority. And parents who want to sue anyone who even hints at discipling their child. "You tell me what they did and I'll handle it at home." is what parents will tell you. Unfortunately, by the time they get home it's too late. Or, worse, it's never addressed. As a society, we need to address what is fast becoming a national crisis.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I was in a similar situation, at my 4th grader sons classroom. He was one of those you hear about that was 'slipping between the cracks". He was straight F that whole year. We finally said "to hell with this", pulled him out of school and began homeschooling. We continued till he graduated from high school. Now he's in college, working on a degree in Avionics and has a 3.96 grade point average, with a job waiting on him. Homeschooling is not for everyone and special care must be giving to keep the kids socialized with other kids. In our case, it worked out great.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Veets, I'd a done a whole lot better in school, if I had you for a teacher. I always work better when I'm scared.

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    What a shame.
    yelp, the problem is deep.

Glad I was raised when I was.:wink:

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Most teachers have given up. They used to be able to spank a child. But no any more.
    And most kids have no ideal what being a good kid is. There mom and Dad are not a good Mom and Dad. You know the kind that does not make there kids learn What they need to learn. Its called Respect.
    These kids know there not going to get in trouble at school or at home. so they run wild. And you take a few bad ones. And the whole class is in trouble.
    I for one did not care what they did to me at school As it was not half of what I was going get when I got home. So you can bet I did not act up.
    Kids do not mind at home so why should they at school?
    I hope you can get it worked out , but do not think its going to happen until you go over there heads.
    Teachers are not payed enough to start with. And then after they figure out that theres noting they can do to keep the bad ones in line anymore. They give up.
    Put your self in her shoes. Say your in a job that you have no control over what happens. And your just a few years from retiring and not having to put up with bad kids.
    Not saying she is right. But its a hard job. My wife did teach. but low pay and kids tilling here the was in no way going to anything to make them mind. She got out of it.
    And I am glad.because the first one that has hit here. Well lets say he would have found out what its like to get someone to beat the fear of god into him.
    Hope you get it worked for the sake of your child.
    pete

10. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here's what I looked like when I was teaching. Now did I look like a bad a**? Why I was Mr. Nice. Never once in the years that I was teaching did I have to hit a child. I'm not saying they might not have thought that I might, but I never did. You just need to have the backing of the administration and the parents. They need to know that you care enough to make them toe the line. When that support is gone, there isn't much you can do and believe me, they know it.

Contrary to what a lot of people think, kids like boundaries. They need to know when they are breaking those boundaries. But it only works when all the adults are in sync with each other.

The last five years of my working career were spent with juvenile delinquents at a residential facility. We had rules and they were followed. Again, never had to strike a child. Might have gotten into their personal space. Right up nose to nose to get a point across but never had to strike a child. It was the first time some of these kids had ever had real guidelines for proper behavior. By the time these kids left the program, they were doing the teaching by demonstrating to the new kids what proper behavior was all about. Most of them know how to behave they just need someone to show them why they need to behave properly and how they will benefit from it.

Attached Files:

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Jim those 2 parts is what is causing the most trouble now. The Parents and others in the schools systems are not backing the teacher.
    Also just like Memphis Tn. 2 shootings in the city schools in a week? And Teachers that are scared to even show up. And then the Parents of the kids that is causing the trouble. Even tell everyone I can not control my 10 or 12 year old.
    Sure hope it gets better for everyone in the schools.
    Pete

12. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Pete,

You are 100% correct. Unless someone has been there, they have no idea how difficult teaching truly is and all the politics associated with it. I'm certainly not defending ALL teachers. Just like any line of work, there are going to be some bad ones out there. The biggest problem I see in high school is lack of parenting and no discipline. Often a teacher will report a problem yet nothing will be done. So many parents blindly defend their children, even if they have no idea what is really happening. I once sent a student (not a bad kid at all, just did something he wasn't supposed to) to the office for a relatively minor offense and by the end of the day I had several voice mails from this kids parents threatening to sue, calling me a racist, etc., etc., etc. The next day the kid came in to class laughing. I thought "Here we go - he's going to laugh about it and cause more problems because his parents are defending him." He told me that when he walked in the door the previous day, his parents were telling him that he was a victim, I was picking on him, they were going to sue and give him a bunch of money, etc. He stopped them and said, "No, I was wrong and I deserve my punishment. He is my favorite teacher." I was speechless when he told me this. He laughed again and said, "that's the only time my mother has shut her big fat mouth!".

If the complaint is valid, follow the chain of command that bwhupp has recommended. If a teacher is not doing their job, they need to find someone who will.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    The big problem IMO is litigation. The reason School Boards don't back teachers is, the way schools are currently funded (or underfunded), is when parent threaten or actually do sue, it is going to cost a pile of money, regardless of the merit of the case and the outcome. Defending yourself can break you just as well as losing.

Of course the underlying problem is society at large, which is so selfish that they cannot sse the whole picture, only that which affects them.