tent or camper

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by Wil, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    what do you all use? we use a tent when we go but its freakin huge, it can fit 8 people comfortably with room to spare and when we are not there or if we set up to reserve a spot.. we put all of our stuff in the tent because it all fits and no one really knows its there. the tent is like 8 feet wide and 12 feet long or something like that. we love camping haha:smile2:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Tent. Saves alot on gas.Lol

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i like our tent most of the time we dont sleep

4. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    I haven't been camping in years but I've been thinking about buying a tent.

5. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    hey Wil TENTS ARE GREAT But when you get to be an old fart like me the ground is a long way to get up from :smile2: I have had a lot of fun in the ol tent and still have the the one that Mom, Dad,myself and brother all slept in. The wife and I still use it now and then, but I think I'll keep the 5 th wheel camper around for a while yet !!! And let the youngsters use my tent.

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I've tried about every kind of camping, tent, popup, trailer, and motorhome. I've gone back to a tent, if I can get my vehicle to the site I can camp there. With all the other types you are kinda limited as to where you can camp.

I do a good bit of camping here in Kentucky at a place called LBL and most of the places I camp you can forget about getting to if you are pulling a trailer or driving a motorhome. In fact some spots are by boat only, unless you have a good 4x4 and if it starts to rain you better get of there or you arent gonna get out.

Now LBL has some very nice campgrounds with water, electric all that stuff they charge by the night for them. There are also lake access campgrounds that have sites with tables and fire rings. It is $15.00 a year for a permit that allows you to back country camp just about anywhere in LBL (170,000 acres). With a tent I can find a secluded camping spot just about anywhere, even in the middle of summer.

7. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have to say tent, since I have never stayied in a camper.

8. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya.. the air conditioning of a camper is nice but id rather just jump into the lake than stay inside all the time to keep cool haha

9. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    ive had the same tent since 1993 its one of those marlboro adventure team tents. its still as good as new and it will keep the rain out. wonder if i can get another 15 years out of it? im like griz where i like to camp you cant get a camper in so a tent is the way to go for me.

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Boy tent camping is nice and you don't have to have a big truck to do it. I have a tent and one of those screened in deals that you put over a picnic table. Nice if it rains.

I also have a truck camper I picked up a couple years ago. When I get up, first thing, nature is calling. Hey that camper has a bathroom, thats nice. lol
    With the tent at Rushing Creek campground, I'm jumping in the truck to head to the bathrooms. lol When one has to go, he has to go, and walking won't get me there quick enough.

So I will take that truck camper this year. It also has other nice things like a frig with a freezer that will hold 4 1/2 gallons of ice cream spoon bending cold. It's hard to have ice cream in a tent.

I know I'm limited by hight because that camper is high. Some places have too many tree limbs to get in. But I like that LBL also, and there are plenty of camping places that don't cost me anything [ besides that 15 dollar backwoods permit] I can take my camper.

The bad thing with the truck camper is my trucks fuel mileage. I get about 8-9 miles per gallon pulling my boat.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We have a Van and tent right now-hokk up load up go as long as I dont get into to soft ground she will go.Gonna get a truck bed camper next year hopefuly will have it-3 kids and mama-san bathroom would be nice....Otherwise we do it thee ole fashoned way and pack the shovel:big_smile:

12. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Hey Griz, bad news - they raised the permit at LBL to $20! But that's still cheaper than a hotel and a darn sight prettier. That's our favorite haunt. We go backcountry where you don't run into so many folks. Not that I'm unsociable, just don't want to hear anybody else but my hubby snoring (unless it's the dog!). :wink: Anyway, we use two tents, one for me and the hubby and the dog, and the other for my 2 kids. Can't wait to get back out there again soon. This winter was WAYYY too long.
    Debbie

13. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I went from an avid tent camper out in the sticks to air conditioning and comfort with a camper. The ole body starts to hate the ground. Got too fat and too cozy with luxury to turn back. Last year was the year that made us get a camper.... camping for a week in 100*+ temps was enough to make us go crazy.

Now I need electric as well otherwise I cannot sleep. I have sleep apnea and need my breathing machine now. Kind of took a real kick and put a dent in my camping when you require electricity to breath for you at night.:angry:

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    normally I just lay down in the boat. I am not a fan of just camping. The army does that to you.:big_smile:

15. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    I use a tent and tarps. By the end of a campout we usually end up with a kinda tarped up "hobo" village. Keeps the wind and rain out, though. :tounge_out:

16. Orlando

Orlando New Member

State:
    kansas
    We started out in the ol' tent as that's what we could afford. But now are on our soon to be 4th camper. They keep getting bigger and nicer. The A/C for my afternoon nap is priceless!

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use a tent when i camp on the lake

18. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    I have a 13/15 tent. I also have sleep apnea. I went to home depot & bought a portable 12000 btu a/c unit.I got a eu2000 honda generator that will run everthing.when I get the money together I will have a truck camper. but for now I make do.

19. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I have a pop up camper and a tent. It depends on where I am going. If we go to the lake it is tent because you can only get there with the boat. Otherwise we use the camper. It is nice to be off the ground when it rains.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a little 3 man tent, but I'll only use it if I'm going by myself, because my wife won't go unless she has air conditioning. Not that I turn my nose up at it. :wink: And with all the stuff we bring along, I'd have to have some kind of trailer to carry it all, even if we did use a big tent with A/C. It just seems a lot easier to have everything in the motor home, drive over, launch the boat, park the motor home, and kick back or go fishing.