Tension on Bait alarm

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by uapipefitter, Mar 10, 2007.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Hey fellow brothers, just received my first abu's for cat'n. I got the new black cat and the 6500 pro rocket. Never having used a bait caster with a bait alarm on it I don't know whats normal or not. Reading thru various threads sounds like everyone uses theirs as a bite detector and let the fish run with it on untill it's deemed to have had plenty of time to get the bait. I threaded both of them up today, with alarm on I gave them a pull and to my suprise it takes quit a bit of force to get it to click out. Is this due to reels being new and over time will loosen up or is there an adjustment to less'n amount of pull needed to take out line. I understand the concept of needed tension to prevent backlash from occuring after a hard bite but seems like the fish will sense the tension on the line and possible drop the bait. Any answers would greatly be appreciated.thanks, trent

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    uapipefitter, I will assume that you had the reel disengaged, that being the case if your tension is set to prevent a backlash while casting then you should be good to go. It does take some effort to pull line against the clicker and smaller fish can't pull line very far or at all.

3. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    Bam, thank you that made all the differnce. Da, I thought that the reel had to be engaged and did not even try it disengaged.LOL, I knew the family could help me.thanks again,trent

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    No problem, most of the time it's the simple things we overlook.

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Without the reel being disengaged you were pulling your drag.

6. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You will love the sound of the clicker . When that Big cat takes off like a speed boat is attached to your line. That truly is one of the greatest sounds. Good luck and tight lines

7. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    this is the frist year i have used bait casters the frist 2 times i had bites i had the bait clickers on forgot to engage the reel when i tried to set hook big back lash need to rememer this