Tennessee's 34" Rule going back again!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ShilohRed, Mar 9, 2007.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Well looks like Representitive Odom is going to try to get this law reversed again for Willie Bourchart. We as catfishermen need to do our part and voice our opinions via email or call the number below and leave him a message that we don't want this changed! Leave the limit as is, no commercial harvest for fish over 34" and one per day per sportsfisherman per day.

http://www.garyodom.com/contact.htm please email or call Majority leader Gary Odom (615-741-4410) if you are against ledgislature changing the current 34" law back to where there is an unlimited and unrestricted

They are trying a different angle on bringing the 34" law back up to repeal it.
    Don't look like there going to give up. So we better not.
    Thanks,
    PEte

2. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    I thought the battle was over for another year,

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Tom So did I. but you know how they are. If they can slip it in they will. I would not dought them slipping it in on a school bill some day.
    Pete

4. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    This bill imposes a size restriction on CATFISH? Thats new to me. I wouldn't think that would be needed.

5. Deepfried

Deepfried New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro,,Tenneessee
    Thank you Pete for being on top of this, I sent an e-mail and will call monday morning. If the commercial fishing boys, get back into the harvest of 34" plus catfish, selling them to private lakes and out of state lakes, the catfish population will take a direct hit to the trophy size cats.

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here is a revised copy of the letter that we used before that you can copy and paste to an email in the link in Pete's post. Be sure to sign the letter.

March 10, 2007

Rep. Gary Odom
    18A Legislative Plaza
    Nashville, TN 37243

Dear Rep Odom
    I’d like to offer my input about an on going effort to reverse Tennessee’s current maximum size limit regulation for catfish of 34 inches.

Commercial fishermen seem to be arguing that they have a meat market for these bigger fish, but it is believed they are selling them to operators of “pay lakes” in Illinois, Iowa and Ohio. Simply put, the fish of this size that they do sell are resources being taken from Tennessee sportsmen who buy licenses and sold to benefit sportsmen in other states!

Sport fishing for the larger, trophy catfish is a rapidly growing activity among sportsmen in states that have an abundance of them, and catfishing tournaments have become quite popular here adding important tourism dollars to our economy. Tennessee received national recognition in several major sporting magazines as the leader in this effort to protect the resource when our 34 - inch size restriction was enacted. These articles also spawned a lot of tourism dollars to our great state and now, other states near us, namely Arkansas, Virginia, Missouri, South Carolina, Oklahoma and Kentucky either have passed or are considering similar legislation.

Lastly, it is my understanding that the effort to overturn the current restriction is being made by a very small minority of commercial fishermen in our state. I urge you to help all Tennessee sport fishermen by voting against reversing this very important catfish size protection.

Sincerely,

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    No we have had the one fish above 34" for a few years here. And the Commercial guys are trying to get it taken away. As only a sports fishermen can keep a fish 34" or bigger.
    And why would it not be needed? Would you not like to see on in Al that would keep Commercial fisherman from taking out lots of big fish? Lots of them here are taken out to stock pay lakes.
    thanks
    Pete

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I sent in another one and the wife did to as she is a licensed fishing person.
    I will pass this around again.

9. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have not seen it or heard of that happening here. Maybe it is and I just dont know its going on. Had no idea, but if you think about it, it does make sense.

10. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    I don't know that much about the law in TN, all you can do is ban together to do what is best for you.

11. canepole

canepole New Member

State:
    Woodlawn Tennessee
    Has anybody heard what happened, Did it get stopped again, Let us know Plz............

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I tried to send him an e-mail but, his website is down.... I wonder why that is..... I guess if you don't want to hear it, shut it off... that's politics!!!!

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Last I heard on it. We had them flooded with calls and mail. May have shut them down again for a while. Sure hope so.
    Pete