Tennessee River below Pickwick

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by shadguts, Mar 6, 2009.

1. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Got out yesterday. Started catfishing about 1:00pm and fished until 5:30pm. Had fresh skipjacks and old frozen sipjacks. I fished a bend in the river that I have fished several times. Marked a couple fish on the sonar and after anchoring noticed that I'd missed my waypoint by a couple hundred yards. The wind was, what seemed like E@30mph, ended up catching one 12lb blue. Oh the wind was actually out of the south. The E stands for everywhere. When the wind is 30mph it seems to blow from all directions on the river. Moved down river to an area that I haven"t fished since owning a "decent" sonar. Found some promising spots that I will be visiting again:wink:. A side imaging sonar would be a great tool to have. Marked a few fish is these spots also. Had a little trouble anchoring in the first spot but ended up with a 17lb blue. Moved to another spot and caught a 30lb blue. All the fish were holding tight to structure and were alone. Caught one fish from every spot and no other bites. The fish were also in @ 60ft of water. All of these spots were holes in the river channel that were 10-20ft deeper than the surrounding area. All the spots appered to have some sort of structure in them. Rock shelves, trees, brush, not sure but something. Side imaging would be nice:sad2:. All three fish bit the old skipjack and I don't recall getting a bite on the fresh. Didn't catch any monsters or a big number but did find a few new places to fish and caught a few in tough conditions. Good luck to you.

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The Side inaging does not help the spots..:crazy: It only makes you drive around like crazy trying to find one more fishing spot.
    Sounds like you still have a good day. Thanks for the report.
    I hope to get out next week for a little while. That is if sales don't pick up. Where I don't have time.
    Pete

3. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pete, I hope you do get to fish but hope business is good too. I may have to try out some of those big sickles. The side imaging may not put fish in the spots but it might help a fellow find a good spot or two. Find those spots a little quicker too. Those kittys know where those spots are and if they are not there at the moment they'll be back. I think? Just hope there is hook there connected to my line when they get back. For a while I've only fished places where I've marked fish. This year I think I'll spend more time fishing structure and not just fish. I guess I'll see what happens.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Theres spots that you can bet even though most peoples fish finders does not show a fish. Theres one there, the si allows you to see stuff the normal unit can't show you. That is what I like about it. As it will show you that blue 40ft off the port side of the boat, laying next to the log. Otheres of you go over the log for the most part people think its just a log. But with the si its there.
    I hope both fishing and sale's are good this year. That means more fishing.:cool2: The new hooks are selling good so far. Looking like the 11/0s I have will be sold by mid week. So I guess I will order more of them Monday.
    Pete