Tennessee Flatheads

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TN-CATFISHER, Feb 10, 2008.

1. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Hey fellas. I was looking for some general advice on fishing flatties in TN. I've been so busy remodeling my house that I've about missed out on fishing for winter blues and I'm thinking on targeting the flatties this spring. Should I be looking at lakes or rivers? Locations in Middle TN would be preferable. I've gathered from other posts that live bream seem to be the bait of choice. Is there any particular type of structure I should be targeting? Any flatty tips are appreciated. :big_smile: Thanks!

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm definitely not a flathead expert, but while talking to a commercial fisherman, he mentioned that in early spring, the flatties move way up the small feeder rivers & larger creeks to the shallower areas where the cypress trees grow. I hope to give that a good test this spring.

3. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Thanks for the input Jerry. I started reading a bit more in the "flatheads" section for general info. I suppose I may be asking a bit much when it comes to "local" information. There are a few posts over there that do mention Tennessee waters. I'll keep searching...

4. cottonmouth

cottonmouth New Member

State:
    southeast tn
    Best bet I've seen is a big log jam before dark and after that i think they go huntin' kind of cause you can catch em' almost anywhere in shallower waters with the right bait .

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think Hubert has it about "nailed"! Structure, and they move out of there "daytime" hangouts and go hunting after sunset! During the daylight hours they may also go looking, but I dont think they get too far from structure! Use a good "LIVELY" bait and in structure , shorten your leaders, so your bait cant get wrapped in the stuff!!!

6. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Thanks fellas. I'm sure I'm going to be putting a lot of hours in to get that first flathead. I was hoping to get an idea of what stretches of river, or what lakes to try so I was at least fishing waters they inhabit. I think they're supposed to be in both of Tennesse's big rivers, so maybe I'll just stick with them until I here something otherwise. I'll start targeting them when the water temps start pushing 50 again.

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Above cheatam dam is suppost to be awesome for flatties, why Idon't know Ihaven't fished it but have heard from a lot of guys that its good, I guess old hick is suppost to be good too. I should give it a try this spring.