Tennessee and Kentucky dams Leaking

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Michael, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    you know how the water level is here in on the Cumberland river i hear its going to stay that way for a long time it's almost back up to summer pool.
    they say they still have to drop the lake above the dam another 23 feet.
    all due to the dams leaking {Wolf Creek Dam} {Center Hill Dam} {Kentucky dam} thats kinda scary they say that there is a 15% chance one could break if that happened it would flood all the way up-to 4th ave in Nashville and by looking at the elevation for riverside Dr here in clarksville its lower than 4th ave in Nashville witch means it could flood all of riverside Dr and up to the court house.. as far as fishing i wonder if it will mess all the spawn patterns up for this year or make it better fishing?
    not trying to scare any one just want some thought on the dams and water levels staying the same for along time?

2. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    What watersheds do they empty to? We don't need more water in the lower Mississippi now.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good time to build or repair a pier!!!

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It shouldn't interfere with the spawn unless they lower or raise the water following the spawn. Raising the water can cover the eggs with silt, destroying the spawn. Lowering the water leaves the eggs high and dry, destroying the spawn. I will bet even the noodlers will have problems trying to find new holes. LOL So, either way, the spawn is ruined.

5. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    new update i seen the news tonight and they have to drop lake cumberland 70 feet to repair the wolf creek dam

6. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    What does that mean for the downstream side of the dam?

Certianly they can't adjust the levels that much above the dam and not affect the lower side.

High water when they drop the level, followed by low water when the raise it back up?

Any ideas?

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    This is just how I look at it. While they're lowering it, we're gonna probably have decent flow for the most part, except when they are bringing everything up to summer pool, which shouldn't take as long as most years. Why? Let's face it, if they are lowering that lake a foot a day it's gonna give us a lot of water for the duration. Then once it's down, we shouldn't see much difference than any other year. To maintain the lower level, they'll still have to hold and release as usual depending on rainfall and normal concerns. Just the level of the lake will be different. Then when they finish reparing it and start filling it? Then we'll probably have long periods of slow to non existent current. I don't see it affecting the fishing at all til that time, unless of course the dam breaks. Which I don't see happening at this point. Just my opinion here, nothing I looked up or researched.

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Wolf creek Dam here in Kentucky, its the dam that backs up lake Cumberland is in really bad shape & they are dropping the water level to relieve stress & repair the problem. I hear they will expose 15,000 more acres of bank that was once submerged. this is going to have a huge economic impact on the marinas some which will be dry docked & the commercial stripwer guides will be in trouble as well. The fishing is sure gonna change. they say if the dam would happen to break Nashville could be up to 50% flooded in 8 hours or less, not to mention the smaller towns along the way & Clarksville, TN. I believe the Cumberland will have steady current for awhile. When they start filling back up I'm not sure how it will effect the river that far down.

9. Michael

Michael New Member

State:
    Clarksville TN
    thanks for that report Abu65

10. redravenn

redravenn New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    APSU has a group of students with a Professor's guidance, that is researching the ramifications of the dam breaking and how it will affect Clarksville and the surrounding area. From what I understand so far, they know that normal water level at C'ville is 378 ft below the elevation of the dam and that the water will rise to approx. 415 ft. The further the water can travel outward, the less depth it will have but they predictions look at water being at bottom of the train bridge on Riverside Dr. Owner's of boats, myself being one, at the Mont. Co. Consevation Club and C'ville Boat Club will have less than 48 hrs. to retrieve their boat and all the belongings they can carry away from there because it will all be under water after the dam goes.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC, Tammy. Great to have you here.

Enjoy,
    Cheryl

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    One very good effect that will happen is;As the shoreline is exposed, new growth of native grasses and underbrush will occur,depending on how long the draw down lasts.When the lake fills this will provide more cover and nutrients usually causing a boom in fish populations such as bass and crappies.This technique discovered during drought years is actually becoming a management plan to revitalize older reservoirs.Santee suffered drought for about 4 years up to Sept 2002.when the rains came all that new cover provided havens for the bass populations and added needed nutrients to the water.A recent arcticle in SC Sportsman magazine covers the whole issue.So it wont be all bad and just think if you walk the shoreline you can probably find enough sinkers and other terminal tackle not to mention lures etc to last a life time.!!!!:big_smile: :wink:

13. redravenn

redravenn New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thank you for the greeting. Nice to E-meet you. Do you enjoy the fishing scene as much as I do? I had rather fish than eat. My stepdad introduced me to fishing when I about 10. Of course, teaching me how to cast, first. Then teaching me how to tie, bait, put out and run trot lines. Then came all the specifics for crappie, catfish, sauger, bass. I don't have any female friends that are eat up with it like I am. My folks are still crazy about it, but don't get to go very often. I hope to find someone on BOC to enjoy it with or at least swapping stories with.

Thanks again. Tammy AKA Redravenn

14. Dixie_chick3189

Dixie_chick3189 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well hopefully they can fix all the leakage problems but if one were to break i dont know if they would actually flood that much because you can go to some website and pinpoint your house on a map that shows if you will be affected by the flooding but hey we'll never know until it happens ya know.