Tenn. River's Link to Hollywood

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by festus, Dec 3, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

In 1959-1960, Hollywood came to Tennessee and shot a movie about TVA's plan to dam the Tennessee River. The plot revolved around a little old lady's stubborness to leave her land and was set in the 1930's after the depression. What's so great about it, most of the actors were local folks with no acting experience. It starred Montgomery Clift and Lee Remick, BTW Lee Remick has always been my favorite actress. She was never caught up in the glamour and glitz of Hollywood, and she was very beautiful. I hope I'm allowed to post the link, I'm not trying to sell anything or promote anything, just thought it might be of some interests to you fellow Tennesseans.

http://alsolikelife.com/shooting/2009/01/950-92-wild-river-1960-elia-kazan/

2. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mel Gibson and Sissy Spacek did a movie about the same thing. Not sure if it was the Tenn River, but the story was similar. I've watched it a few times, pretty decent movie.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Interesting.:smile2::wink:

4. festus

festus New Member

Yeah Brandon, the movie you're talking about was made in upper east TN and part of VA. It was named "The River." The older movie (which I think is better) is "Wild River." Wild River was released when I was in the 2nd grade.