Tenkiller Hogs

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by SNAGGED, Dec 14, 2006.

1. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Anyone Hog Hunt In The Tenkiller Lake Area?

2. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Anyone hunting hogs In NE Oklahoma

3. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I've just started,went over by Kellyville last week - ended up cleaning 2 rabbits.I'm kind of learning as I go.Any advice is appriciated.

4. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I saw some sign of hogs,but I've been told by folks that they are skiddish around Kellyville due to hunting pressure.It seems to me folks are prob trying to hunt hogs like deer.Like I said I'm just learning but I've heard from alot of experts that once a hog sinces danger in a place, chances are they will never return there again.I also heard they don't just go a couple 100yrds away,they don't go anywhere near that area for atleast a long,long time.This being said,I'm wondering where all the hogs are here in NE Oklahoma?My dad and I went up there because he has seen one dead on the side of the hwy,and had others tell him they were there.I'll tell you one thing that area I was in is full of rabbits.

5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    hogs will go back even if they get scared. we did a drive by on hogs, in a place we called the run way. we shot 2 and then 2 hours later we came back and shot another one. the next day we came back again, and shot at 1 more and missed. each time there was atleast 3-7 hogs.

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Doesn't parts of Texas have a hog epidemic.Sounds like you have some good hunting there.Where I live thier are a few but I have never seen one in person.My Dad was told by the game warden that they are very hard to hunt around here because they are so skiddish due to hunting pressure.We did see some scant,and some tracks.

7. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Make you a hog trap, Keep it baited with soured corn or milo. check it daily and once they find it, you'll have all the hogs you want. You can turn them loose and catch the same hogs over and over again. Once you get them coming to a trap you can keep the trap baited and lock the door open and hunt nearby if you don't want to catch them in the trap. And yes most parts of Texas do have hog problems.

8. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    Do you by traps that big or make them.I had thought about trapping them.But I know less about trapping,than I do hunting them.

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
  10. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    The site that Coonx put on here is one way to make a trap. There are numerous ways to make a trap and different designs on a door but the step by step plans in the website he put up will work. The main thing as stated in that article is keeping the scent off of the trap after you make it. Some people use clean gloves when moving their trap to keep the scent off of it. You can purchase traps already made, but I prefer to build my own. I would recommend using the heaviest hog panel wire that you can find and don't be afraid to add bracing as a wild hog can bust through a hog panel if there is enough room to get a running start. We have several round pen traps (without a top) that are made with a swinging door and 3-4 hog panels. We then put a deer feeder in the middle of the pen. This is legal in texas to do, but you may check your states hunting rules and regs. If you'd like to purchase a trap PM me and I'll get you some phone numbers. They are real easy to build and remember to keep the door locked open until the hogs are eating the food inside the trap before you set it. Good luck.

11. Joe

Joe Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    I haven't hunted hogs since I was a kid.

12. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    I,ve been out a couple of times on Cherokee GMA but havent found any hogs. The weather has had us holed up for a while but I hope to get a chance to get back out before the close that area the end of this month.