Ten tips on catfishing - ad yours!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SubnetZero, Jun 7, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    1. When moving spots or done for the day, do NOT hook your hook in the eye of your rod. Hook it on the cleat (leg) of the eye. Hooking it in the eye may nick your line.

2. If fishing from a boat, check the edges of your gunnels and sides of your boat for anything that may catch the line when boating the fish.

3. After catching a fish, or busting the line in a snag, inspect your leader and main line for any nicks, scrapes, or stretching.. Fish, snags, etc. can weaken your line and cause you to loose your trophy.

4. Get a pair of nail clippers for cutting off the tag on your knots. Its a lot more accurate and faster than using a knife and much less of a chance of nicking your line.

5. Put on sunscreen/bug spray BEFORE you leave the house. Then wash your hands thoroughly (or have the wife put it on ya hehehe).

6. a 5 gallon bucket for a bank fisherman is the one of the most useful thing to have. Can store and carry items to bank, keep bait in it while fishing, haul fish home in it to clean, use it as a seat.. Too many uses to list….

7. Learn, practice, and use more than 1 fishing knot.

8. When using a 3-way, use lighter test line for the weight leader. Will break before mainline or hook leader if snagged and will keep it from wrapping around hook leader when casting.

9. Disconnect your trolling motor electrical connection before heading in to pullout. Many a trolling prop sheared off on the gunnel because the foot pedal fell over and pushed the go button.

10. Check and RECHECK that you put the drain plug in BEFORE you launch your boat…

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    1. Make sure hooks are sharp before using them. Carry a sharpener and know how to use it.

2. Don't skimp on fishing line. If it's on a clearance rack, it's probably old & could be brittle. Do you really wanna lose the fish of a lifetime because you saved $2.50 on a spool of line at wally world? Change line on your rods as often as necessary, but at least once a year.

3. Be mobile. Don't be afraid to move if the fish aren't biting within 30 minutes at your spot.

4. Pay attention to what others are doing, and don't be afraid to learn new things. If someone else is slaying the fish & you're not, go see how they're doing it. Most people are excited to help you.

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    1. Tim I'll add to your no. 6 and say they are also usefull in a boat, my boat doesn't have a live well and I keep no less than two in it at all times
    2.Use as fresh a bait as can be obtained. fish aren't usually crazy about eating a bait that has gotten stale and the fresh blood in the water is like chumming on a hook
    Vern

4. 1. Know where your tools are. This means keep a knife on you at all times in the same place. If you use pliers make sure they are put back in a certain spot every time. Nothing like holding a double handful of fish and trying to grope around in the dark for a misplaced tool. Lay out your boat or bank spot with this in mind. Efficiency of motion can save alot of frustration and may even save your life.

2. Slow down and take look around. Do not be in such a rush to get your lines in the water that you fail to notice risks. Is the spot you are contemplating anchoring in a channel or a blind bend? Does your bank spot have good footing so that you won't trip and injure yourself while your trying to haul one in?

3. Create a checklist. Before you put the boat in the water or even leave home make a thourough run through of your equipment. Life jackets? Fire extinguisher? Brake lights on trailer? Batteries charged? Put items on the checklist that are vital. We all make sure we got bait and rods but missing a fuel leak at the dock can be fatal on the water.

4. Repeat the check list on your return. Make a note to fix or repair any deficiencies before the next trip. Now would be a good time to notice that your trailer tires are worn rather than while on the road on your next trip.

5. Develop good habits and do not procrastinate (guitly as charged here). Routine maintenance is just that, make it a regular routine.

6. Have a flight plan. Let those who care about you know where you are going to be and how to get in touch with you. Give them some idea of when your leaving and expect to be in.

7. Don't push your luck. If in doubt, DON'T.

8. Occasionally lay all of your tackle. Ask yourself what got used on the last trip. Discard the clutter in your boat. If it is not used or needed it is just extra weight to haul around. This does not apply to emergency equipment.

9. Explain the above to your fishing partner, afterall it is your boat or spot. No need to cuss your partner for misplacing your pliers if he didn't know about number one.

10. Be safe but above all have fun. If fishing weren't fun then you might as well be at work.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    guess i need to subscribe to this thread ,maybe even post it in my boat to remind me to clean that pig stye out got enuf aluminum cans in it to build a dingy i always keep a knife at each end you never know when you need to cut ancer and run its quiker than pullin it if yer in a bind cause a logs in yer rope also i alway keep a spare tank or jug of gas in the boat not mixed in case i got mix wrong in main tank ,and two spare spark plugs case i fowl mine its been known to happen

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Always have fresh line on your reels, I change mine 3 times a year..Also retie your knots before each outing..And never take Mellon fishing with you cause you will get skunked.

7. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    1. Don't lay your reels down in the sand, sand gives a baitcaster hell.

2. Lean your rods aginst something instead of laying them flat on the ground, This is how alot of rods get broke.

3. When you get your line snaged wrap your hand with something before you pull on the line the line can cut your hand. Also turn away from where your line is snaged. You dont want a 3oz weight to come flying at your face along with a hook.

4. Pick up all your trash and trash that other people have left.

8. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Take only photos

Leave only footprints

Think fishing not work or home

Respect your catch irrespective of size

Help fellow anglers share your joy

Watch the water not the tv

Listen to the birdsong not the radio

Pay no attention to time

Fishing is for fun

Dont poison your passion

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Pay attention to your wife. They do get jealous at times!! Point and period.

10. AllenM

AllenM Guest

When trying to free a snag, do not pull on the rod as if hauling in a big fish. Instead, let a little line back out so you can wrap the line at the tip of the pole around your fore arm about three times (assuming that you have long sleeves on), then GENTLY pull straight back until either the line snaps or the snag breaks free. As noted previously make sure you turn your face AWAY from the snag while doing this. If you are not wearing long sleeves, wrap something around your arm forst so the line doesn't cut you. Check the line after doing this and cut off any stretched portion, then retie your sinker/hook rigging before casting again.

If you have an anual parking permit for the areas you fish at, make sure to place it out where it is visible before leaving your drive way. I have on a number of occassions left mine in the drivers door pocket and then once at the lake I'm so eager to get a line wet that I completely forget to hang it on the rear view mirror. This can result in a fine in some places! If it is on the dashboard then most rangers will not nitpick about it, but it should be placed on the rear view mirror before leaving your car/truck.

When bank fishing keep a sharp eye out on the ground around you for snakes! the lake I fish at is having a really bad year for rattlers and I just thought it a good idea to remind everyone about this in case it's a similar problem where you fish. If you ever find that there is a snake within striking distance DO NOT MOVE! Attempting to get away from it suddenly will most likely cause it to spook and strike, whereas if you do not move it will (99% of the time) go on about it's business and ignore you. (The other 1% of the time it will curl up alongside your boot, especially if you are the source of the nearest shade on a hot sunny day!) If this occurs, use your rod to nudge it and it will most likely move on without incodent, BUT DO NOT MOVE YOUR LEGS UNTIL IT IS OUT OF STRIKING DISTANCE.

11. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Keep a extra set of packed bearings and seal, stored in a water proof container on your boat or boat trailer.

Spare bulbs for each light on trailer and boat.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    One I forgot to Add
    Keep a spare Truck key in your boat, and a spare boat key in your truck...
    For 1 or 2 dollars, it will save you a whole day of headaches if you loose/forget the key...

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I almost always fish alone, often in out of the way places. for those in a similar situation:

Always take a little more care about anything that has any chance of causing an injury. Something you might not normally think about (stepping up on that rock) could turn into big problems (Oops... that rock was slick and now my leg is busted). If the unthinkable happens, you don't have a buddy there to help out and get you to help.

Or you can think of me as just paranoid, but the world really is out to get you.

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tie up rigs (leaders) at home - they will be done right and it saves fishing time on the water.

Even when fishing alone, most of us don't enjoy wearing a life preserver, but at the least put it on for higher risk activities like running at night, setting and pulling the anchor, and peeing over the side.

Keep a log with notes of both good and bad fishing trips. Sometimes we learn as much from failure as from success.

15. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    About snakes, most snakes can strike 2/3's of their body length.

Learn how to Identify the local species of snakes, there are alot of snakes out there that try to immatate the rattlesnake by shaking their tails in the leaves or grass. Pit Vipers have a triangular shaped head /\ where as most non-venomous snakes have a rounded head ().

If you are in coral snake country remember this rhyme. "Red on black friendly Jack, Red on yellow kill a fellow"

If you are in snake country have am emergency plan incase of snakebite, if you have a cell phone with you have the emergency room in your phones directory.

Unless you are a herepetoligist, treat every snake as if it were venomous, "don't be a hero"

If you are bitten by a snake try to remember exactly what it looked like, or if you have killed it bring it in to the emergency room for positive ID.

Venom from snakes falls into two main catagories: hemotoxic and neurotoxic. Hemotoxic venom inhibits the ability for blood to carry oxygen, and Neurotoxic venom affects the nervous system.

If you avoid snakey spots you will greatly reduce your interaction with them: sunny spots in the early morning and late evening, under rocks and scrap lumber that may be around.

Aaron who knows alot about snakes but is not Herpetoligist

TA2D

16. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Those are some good ones! I'll just add, keep your catch and bait fresh and on ice as long as possible! Fish deteriorates really fast. With bait, that means it wont stay on hook as well. Try to scoop ice from the sides of chest and cover each fish if possible.With a large thick fish, consider gutting the fish while on the water and getting ice into the stomach cavity. On a hot day, fish will spoil from the backbone out because the cold can't penetrate fast enough.
    If you have a long boat ride and drive home, consider taking a box of table salt along with you. Pour and mix the salt in the ice chest with the fish and melting ice. This is also a good way to make your beer and sodas have ice slush in them. It works the same way salt makes icecream freeze!
    Have fun!:smile2:

17. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Accidents are not planned occurances. Hurrying to grab the dip net and tripping over tackle, wires, poles, bait is not a good thing. My dad always said "there is a place for everything and everything should be in its' place". In a perfect world that would be easy, unfortunately reality says I'll put that back in a minute. That leads me to my suggestion..always carry a throw coushin with a 25ft. rope tied to it. Make sure everyone in the boat knows where its at. I've never had to use mine, I hope you'll never have to use yours.
    Don

18. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    when in doubt ...post your question...with all the members we have someone should be able to answer...the only stupid question is the one never asked

19. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Dont use circle hooks and kahles or J-hooks at the same time because you will get confused when a rod bends over.Sittin there trying to think should you set it or just reel it then its to late.Always have spotlights just in case the fish keep you out there past dark.Always charge batteries.

20. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    1) Never place anything on top of you vehicle. That's a real good way to lose and break stuff.

2) When fishing a lake or pond using a slip sinker rig for cats with circle hooks (any hook, really) throw your bait out and wait for it to hit the bottom. Then slowly reel up your line, dragging the sinker and bait on the bottom, for at least the length of your leader before you set the rod in the holder. This way the leader won't have slack in it and the bait,sinker, leader, line and the rod all in a straight line . That way, when the fish picks up the bait, he will feel a little tension and will turn AWAY from your rod, swim off, load the rod and set the hook. If your leader is laying in a clump or off to one side, the fish may pick up the bait and not feel anything and come straight at you and your rod will not load and you will miss the fish. You want the fish to feel just a bit of resistance right off when they pick up the bait. All animals will turn away from that pressure. With things are all lined up, no matter which way he goes, he'll feel pressure and swim away from your rod and hook himself. Granted, he can still come toward you right off the bat and be missed, but if he goes in any other direction right off, the fish will bolt away from you as the line tightens with the clicker running and you will hook that fish. This might be hard to picture in your head, but if you think about it, it makes sense.