Ten Commandments Of Animal Guardianship

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Cattledogz, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Ten Commandments Of Animal Guardianship

1. When you adopt me my life is likely to last only 15 to 20 years. Please don't forsake me, any separation from you is painful.

2. Please give me time to understand what it is you want from me. Change can be more difficult for me than for you.

3. Please don't be angry with me for a long time, and don't lock me up alone as punishment. You have your human family, your friends, your entertainment and I ONLY HAVE YOU!!!

4. Please trust me and help me to trust you . . . it is crucial for mine as well as your well being.

5. Talk to me . . . even if you think I don't understand your words I understand your voice and love when you speak to me and stroke me.

6. Before you hit me remember that I have teeth and claws and could easily hurt you but I choose not to bite and scratch you because I love you. (Besides, why would I want to come back to you next time I may wander off a little too far and you call me back, then hit me when I do come to you?!?)

7. Be aware, that however you treat me, I LOVE YOU BUT I WILL NEVER FORGET!!!

8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative or bad, ask yourself if maybe something is wrong and their is another reason for my behavior. Perhaps I am sick, hot, old or just plain tired, frustrated and weak. PLEASE TRY TO UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS LIKE TO BE ME AND PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE.

9. Please take care of me when I get old and don't abandon me, for you too will grow old. Please notice when I am ill because I need you to take me to the vet for help when I am ill, just as you need to see a doctor.

10. Go with me on the most difficult journeys. Never say, "I can't bear to watch" or "Do it when I leave" because I need you with me even at the end of my journeys. Please always do what is best for me even if it is unbearable for you to do so because I love you and trust that you will not drop me off to die with strangers once you walk away.

2. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    This really touched me, Cattledogz. My cat is 13 or 14 years old, and will not be around too much longer. He is part of the family, and it will be hard when he goes.

3. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    You forgot.

Don't leave me in a hot car because I don't sweat, I need lots of water to keep cool.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well Barb, ya went and done it. A darned old tear this early. lol That last one got to me.
    I think I will take our Dogs fish'n tonight. They are about done shedding and can ride in the front of the truck.lol:roll_eyes:

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I couldn't agree with you more Norm other than dogs do sweat some, through the pads of their feet.
    One of the biggest things I see that should not be done is riding dogs around in the back of an open pick-up truck, especially those with the black bedliners. While the air moving as the truck is going down the road may be cooling, even a stop at a stop light can send a dog into heat stroke. The heat of the dark surface also is way too hot for the pads of their feet. (Not to mention the danger of falling out of the back of the truck, which I have seen happen countless times through the years!)
    A dog house alone does not provide adequate shade and cooling for a dog in summer heat either....

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Ive been pretty dog-sick thi week and this post really got me excited about tonight.

My wife has been taking care of my mother in law, and since my mother in law absolutely LOVES our dog, I sent it up with Elena to comfort mom. Surely as I am looking forward to my wife showing up, I am just as much looking forward to falling asleep tonight with a warm 17 lb pooch in the crux of my bent knee. AS much as I am waiting for the kiss of my blonde when she and I get together, I know I will sleep much better tonight with our dog snoring loud enough to wake up the other campers. (and yes, for 17 lbs, she outsnores even me)

"Bella" is our river dog. She is our travel dog. Even if someone says "fishing" or "ride" on television, she runs in circles around the house and yips and whines till we take her and either put her in the boat out in the driveway or take her for a ride around the section. One day a commercial came on for a cadillac at probably 10:45 at night. They said "the magic word" 3 or 4 times in 30 seconds. Finally just after 11, the wife and I relented and drove her round the 1 mile section in my truck- both of us in pajamas.

7. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Glad to see that others go to the same length for their dogs as I do mine LOL
    When I went from one Lab to 4 I went from a pick-up to a Suburban so the dogs could all go LOL