template ideas

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Monsterkat11, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    going to start on a floor plan for my 16 foot flatbottom. what would you guys recommend i use for a template? i don't have any cardboard laying around, i was thinking about getting a bunch of those poster board pieces and taping them together.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Go to a place that sells appliences. Heavier cardboard and no taping. Need something with the stiffness to it. Hope this helps.

3. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Go with cardboard for sure. Go to a cabinet shop, lumber yard or any bussness that sellx 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, paritcle board ect. They use 4 x 8 sheets of cardboard as cover sheets for the units of material. I am sure they would be willing to give you these. If you were in the kc mo area I would get you some. Good luck.

Tom

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    +1 on the appliance store. Big appliances like fridges, stoves, etc. come in nice thick boxes and they hafta get rid of them anyhow. Its perfect. Also, anyplace with a shipping and receiving dept. a lot of times has scrap cardboard laying around. Even if you hafta dumpster dive, its cheaper and easier than tape and poster board.

5. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Measure the thickness of the alum used in your boat. Flip the boat over and place the flooring of choice on the boat. Reach under and trace directly against the boat onto the flooring. Using a pencil compass set a little wider than the wall thickness, trace new lines inside your original traced lines. You don't have to have a template and have the flooring to size with 1 cut. Be sure to allow extra room for carpeting or other coverings. When I done mine, I allowed and extra 1/4" to each side for carpet.

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Chalk. Garage floor. Works every time.:wink: