Tell us your turkey hunting story?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by daddio, Sep 12, 2007.

1. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    well here ya go last spring my nephew and i were on our way to our favorite huntin place and as soon as we pulled up the road 20 or so birds were running across the field we shut the truck off jumped out headed for the trees and made a couple calls boom there he was 30 yrds to my right i couldnt get a shot so I just waited he started circling around in front of me and you could tell he was nervous he came in a little but there was a tree in my way about the time i got a good look he was headin away i took the shot bam he hit the ground 66yrds according to the range finder undertaker choke and benelli sbe2 yeehaaa 10 beard 1.25 spurs 30min total time from the truck to the shot Turkey huntin is good

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    dont have any success storys but have one pretty good one, me and my dad had just started last spring for the first time, i was sittin there with a jake a 2 hen decoys about 20 yards in front of me, to the left was a big pine tree that we couldnt see past and didnt relize it was a huge blindspot till after we had everything set up. i was calling for about 20 minutes and no response, so we were sittin there talkin and debatein weather or not we should leave, it had been a long morning so we decidied to head out. as soon as i steped around that big pine tree i see them. 2 nice sized jakes, i fire off a shot on the closer one and as soon as i did he ducked down spread his wings and he was off. didnt get him, but that was all i needed to be addicted.:smile2: 3 times last year i called in toms and had them to no more than 50 yards and theyd hang up and just sit there calling back. so i kno i practiced enough with my call, i just need to learn how to make those last few sounds that they cant turn down. to be honest, i was just as happy sitting there calling back and forth to toms than acctually bagging one. fall seasons comin around tho so im ready.:roll_eyes:

3. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My son had been trying for about 3 years to kill one, I took him to the back of our property, called at differant places, it was about 8am, nothing, we got to the back and just sat listening then a jake sounded off to a box call, we set up, he gobble a couple of times and got hung up on a fence line about an hour went by he was ready to get something to eat and I told him we might bump him and sure enough got about 50 yards and there he was and there he went. I made four soft yelps with mouth call and a full gobble came from the creek bed behind us. We hurried over there set up and this bird gobble a hundred time at least, he was getting tired holding the gun and wanted to let it down I told him to hold on that he was close and then he saw him. I hit some soft purs on slat, he came in, he was leaning aginst a tree I was sitting in the open I told him shot him, shot him, still he waited. Then "kaaboom", he killed his first bird at five yards he had a 10" beard 1" spurs. I could not have been happier

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    well a couple years ago my brother vern and a freind and fellow hunter took me out to get my first turkey we walked for miles before seting up on a hill top looking across to another we found the birds and vern called them across the creek and up the hill to us , this tom came in and kenny raised his gun then lowered it and looked back at me well i thought he wanted me to shoot it so i obliged but he really wanted me to wait for the other two to come so we could triple kill , there i sat on my rump with my 12 gauge conneticut arms single shot full choke with a 3 inch mag and turkey in sight at more than 50 yards i sqeezed the trigger to find myself laying flat of my back and the turkey running over the hill before i even thought i got up and ran down the hill after it i jumped down a 10 foot drop to the creek strattle its back in 10 inches of water grabbed the bird by the neck near the head and attempted to drown the bird in the creek i never realized how strong these birds where until that day , i weighed 225 back then and this bird was raising me up out of the water and lifting his head up out of the creek for air it took all of ten minutes to drown that stupid bird to my suprize the bird didnt have any shot to be found , the bird felt like it weighed 50 lb but it had two gallons of water in it lol 3/4 spurs and 10 1/2 inch beard he ate great but it was the first and last bird i ever killed

5. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well i married this girl once............................ :smile2::smile2::smile2: sorry could not pss it up

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I used to hunt turkey all the time ,in the fall . We were allowed to shoot them while deer season was on ,with a rifle. This year I decided to try my hand at spring calling . my daughter ,and son and I went out on a fri. eve. and roosted a tom,then went back the next morning to find someone set up near the field , so we went driving around and found 7 toms in an abondond farmsted.Found out who owned the place ,and called to get permission. Man told me sure ,just watch out for my cows. Later that evening I sat up in the lot by a huge elm and called every once in a while .after about two hrs I saw a hen ,and then a Tom ,then another. I clucked a few times and they came runnin,gobblin all the way ,Managed to shoot the biggest ,and then the lesser was standing lookin at his buddy,got him too . Filled both tags in 1 minuet after a 3 hr hunt .......oh yeah I'm hooked,

7. Glad2noyou

Glad2noyou New Member

State:
    north carolina
    nothing like a spring time Gobble :big_smile:

8. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Number one Son started the spring season with his first turkey a fine 24 pounder with a 10 and 3/4" beard with 1 1/8 spurs.
    My getting to be a part of Jakes first Turkey not to mention with a bow was one of the finest moments I have ever had. . Biggest kicker of all was I was a guest.. a spectator .. a guided client ... a Proud Dad!

Hi Fives and congratulations, some quality time to let the moment sink in and the short walk back to the truck were behind us. I felt myself hurry up the hill even tho it wasn't hardly far enough to justify the drive.
    I wanted to get home to show off the Boy and his Bird.. So proud of him and for him.

Mom met us in the drive, Barefoot, knowing somehow something was up and boy was she right.. The turkey got re-killed a couple times and Pictures were taken. Our Black dog immediately took posession of the big bird and we sat for a few More to just enjoy it again.

"Well lets take this guy apart and get him soaking" I said. With some negoteation we talked the Big Dog into releasing it back into our possession and we were off to the cleaning table.
    Not 5 min in to the skinning process... Jakes nudges me and asks ."Did U hear that?"

Within 30 seconds of listening ..Yes .. ahh heck Yes .. and a second bird follows #1's lead.
    We look at each other knowing full well, stuff like this just don't happen and they both gobble again.. Seals the deal and Jake Fetches Mom. "Get Dressed.... put ur Camo on.. Hurry Up!! " and She did.

Here is where it gets really cool:
    I keep dressing Jakes bird and Big Boy and his Momma in full camo .. Mom toteing the 20ga- 1100 that was Jakes first Waterfowl gun, head for the "Big Log" at the field edge on the "Farm."
    Almost double time. LOL
    I will tell ya , my life was right at that moment and I had some deep breaths just to keep things from getting ... well overwelming.

They disappear and all is quiet for a couple mins.. I hear Jakes opener .. three soft yelps. Nothing.
    Come on..answer you buggers..I think. Another short series this time Louder and Demanding.. Yup an answer and they were talking.. a Dialog of exchanges went on for quite awhile . (Keep in Mind they are set up less that 100 yard from where I am skinning Bird one. )

Problems from the deck perspective ..

They were not gonna come to the mowed strip at the field edge they were coming thru the timber.. between the house and the Setup.. Behind them. I think almost outloud ..Not good.
    Jake already read the deal and had repositioned Mom's field of fire.... She was ready, anticipating where they might show up.

Now the details sorta get convaluted here as they both get to talking fast and at the same time when they tell it.. not typical for either mind ya.. Love it .. Love it ..
    Bird one shows and is where Jake could and Sue couldn't as I understand it.
    Bird two shows just before all is lost , as they have determined it felt somewhat safer in the North end of the woods, stops for one more check out the scene and Jake is,
    "sssssShoot.. "
    "can't ..."
    "when you can, you Should Shoot ."
    Bird two walks into a hole Miss Sue had picked out . Jake senses the time is right and :
    I head a Cluck, Put , Hard Cut...what ever .. clear as a bell from the deck .. and that sound was followed closely by one report from a 20 ga that I hadn't heard fired at game in many years.

Nothing.. no whooping, no second shot .... What the ???
    Then the Hard, flop flop flop of a dying turkey on the ground.
    Subtle voices and the flapping stops. Our Dog packofLabs are demanding to be freed from the house and I ignore them till I see Two figures walking close together, Mom first and Jake within a arm reach ..and a Gobbler over his Right sholder.
    ... More of the deep breaths and I release the Hounds..

25 1/2 pounds 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 spurs. 11 1/8 " beard.

I could rattle on about the details or pictures and Hugs.. that's different .. hand shakes . back slapps .. ya know the guy stuff .
    But Hugs..
    yea, Hugs are good.

9. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    These are great stories, I felt like I was there with you guys. The rush from a turkey even if you don't bag him is awesome.

Here is my story. I had heard people talking about the rush from turkey hunting and how much fun it was. Well I knew nothing about turkey. I didn't know the difference between a tom and a hen non the less what the heck a jake was, I didn't know they gobbled or why. I had no clue what a purr was. I made up my mind at thanksgiving, I was turkey hunting in the spring. So off to Walmart I went. Bought myself a slate call. Started to talking to people on the internet, and then hit the research. The internet is a wonderful place to find what you want to know and hear. I down loaded the different sounds that a turkey makes during the spring season, burnt them on to a cd, and played them all the time. In my car, when I was cooking dinner and every chance I had I took my slate and copied the sounds on the cd. I learned the difference between a mirrium, an eastern, an osceola, and a Rio. By the time spring came I thought I was ready. I found a group of birds and roosted them every night for 2 weeks prior to opening season. Everyone told me how hard turkey hunting was and there was no way I would bag one in the first year. The night before the season opened I roosted a group of 7 birds. Next morning, took my son in, he had the 1st season tag, I had 2nd season tag, Just before 1st light, they sounded off, my sons eyes got the size of grape fruits, he hadn't heard this sound, as a matter of fact, I hadn't heard a first light gobble. I had studied how important it was to be set up in a comfortable position and wait, and not move, I expressed this to my son. But being a 17 year old he knew everything. He kept moving around, and repositioning he gone. The birds came down off the roost, but I mis calculated, they came down on the opposite side of the field from what I thought they would, I thought darn we set up in the wrong place. This tom was henned up, he had a nice little group of 6 ladies. I had 2 hen and 1 jake decoys set up about 20 yards from us and we were nestled in the trees. The tom in full constant strut lead his ladies over the hill and we lost sight of them. I thought they were gone. All of a sudden, in came 4 little jakes side by side 2 by 2. into our decoys. They were so funny to watch. Anyway, this brought that tom running in full strutt. My son was using a 12 gauge with turkey loads, patterning in the gun, he had a good pattern at 40 yards but a little risky after that. The birds came in to about 45 yards and I was afraid with all his moving he was going to get busted, so I told him to take the shot. Well, this bird that I had watched for the last 2 weeks, He missed! All the birds took off and we were done for the morning. But, we got right back out there, the next day due to work. I got him on a bird the next day, and this time there was no mistakes. Picture perfect shot. 18 yards, 21lbs 10 inch beard with 3/4 inch spurs. That was bird 1 first year. Other stories in another post.

10. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I'm a meat hunter..could care less about the beard and spurs..with that said..Opening morning 2 years ago it was raining cats and dogs..I slept in and at 8 am my wife woke me to let me know the turkeys were in our back yard.. under the bird feeder no doubt.. I arose with just my under britches on and quietly stepped onto the front porch.. 2 toms were working their way under the lectric fence and up on the hill side.. at the precise moment (around 35 yards)I cut loose with my 3 inch 12 and nailed both of them..one shot...man I love turkey season.. that evening both were on the grill and not a morsel was lost....

11. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Well, here goes my story....

When I was bout 10 or 11 Daddy brought home this jake (yardbird) some one gave him I believe in payment for some kinda auto repair he had done for them. You know how kids are, they think every animal is a pet. So I carried on with tryin to "train" the bird. First I'd chase the bird, then run from it, then chase it, then run from it...we played tag...nobody told me I was making it mean...it never attacked me. What I didnt know was that it had tried to attack Daddy a few times. It would also drop its wings and sidle up to the school bus when it pulled up in the driveway. I would have to get off first and run the bird off so my younger brother could run from the bus to the front door and not be attacked. Well, as time progressed, the bird got bigger and meaner and Daddy finally decided to do something about it. He sold it to this man who had about 7 or 8 kids who were always into mischief. He kept it in an area that guarded his shed to ward off the kids so his tools and such would stop going missing. Well, lo and behold, one day the kids let the turkey out of the fence without anyone knowing and while he was all bent over under the hood workin on the motor of his logging truck, the turkey proceded to sidle up and flog him....Now last I recall, I believe they had the turkey for Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner.

I know, I know...not quite the story you were lookin for, but I thought it was worth a few laughs.

12. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    That is a good story punkin and funny. LOL Thank you.

13. CHAVEZ CHAVEZ

CHAVEZ CHAVEZ New Member

State:
    WesternSlope,CO
    here's 1 , i've been hunt'n the king of spring for about 13 yr's now and out of all the things i hunt this is my favorite .
    1 yr i took 2 of my three boys well that morn'n came and we headed out asi was driven they asked me were are we going dad , replied to them going to the honey hole .
    we got a late start this day as well , anyway's we got to the spot and took off walk'n down an ol logg'n RD doin the usual call'n here and there listening for a respond .noth'n kept walk'n by now we'are away's from the truck stopped and called a lil and i heard a faint gobble told my oldest boy did'ya hear that !! he replied no your hearing things dad , so i told him listen i'm gonna call again sure enough i heard it again asked my son for the second time did'ya hear it no . so we walked a lil bit more and i called again this time the beards were closer , told the boys to find some cover and sit still i myself just laid in the RD and started call'n and that's all she wrote got my boys attention and pointed where they were . they were on a dead run straight to us i could see them 100 yrd's out next thing we knew they'ere right in front of us . man i'll never foreget the look's on there faces , we just sat there for afew min- watch'n the beards my son wanted to take 1 butt i shook my head no finally i spooked'em off we got up and they both came to me and hugged me and told me thank you dad . was 1 of my greatest days !!!!

14. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    A few years ago, I was archery hunting for deer on family land in the mountains just north of Sardis Lake. The Fall season for turkey was closed, but the rut was full on.

I still-hunted through a high saddle and heard a turkey yelp. I stood against the sky like a tree, not moving, but completely in the open on the highest part of the saddle. I watched seven jakes in single file working their way up the saddle toward me, feeding on the ample grasshoppers that jumped out of their way.

As they approached me, I squinted my eyes almost closed so I could watch them without causing alarm. Those busy birds came right up to me, the lead bird actually took a grasshopper off my camo jeans.

As the birds turned and started away from me up the side of the saddle, I opened my eyes wide to see what would happen. One bird near the end of the file sounded "Phutt Phutt" and they all bolted in blind panic, not even having seen the danger. They broke into a short flight up the mountain to the safety of the trees where they landed running, gone from sight and sound in a couple of seconds.

I learned more from that short 10 minutes in the presence of wild turkeys than I had learned in the past 20 years of turkey hunting.

Don't move, and don't let them see your eyes.:confused2:

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I remember a turkey hunt with two women one I wont mention due to I might get a skillet upside the head. Well I positioned them in a perfect spot along edge of field. I retreated to my favorite tree to attack them from the air with my bow. Well a couple hours past and all of a sudden here came a flock of about 30 birds and they were headed straight for decoys. Well I still claim to this day these two were gossiping cause the first bird was actually inside the dec set up no shots, no shots and the birds kept coming!!! I was about to send a flaming arrow in that blind to wake them up when Ka-boom!!! A miss at lesss than 10 yards the birds kinda were confused and a second Ka-boom this time the bird was down and the birds scattered. I climbed down to ground and walked over to my wife and her gossip pal to admire my wife's first fall bird. We all had a good laugh except for Linda for missing a 10 yard shot!! Yes I remember 2 hens gossiping one fall day and almost missed a chance to get a bird!!

16. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    about the time i could walk i knew i wanted to hunt and fish. nanny was very good about taking me fishing, and when i turned 11 i actually talked her into going turkey hunting. it was my first attempt but, i had read the books, watched the videos, and even been to a seminar.

we had some friends with land in the hills of north alabama. one weekend in early april we went out there and set up a small humble camp. i had been runnin around those woods for years just being a ramblin' lil' boy, so i already had ideas about where i thought turkeys should be.

the next morning me and nanny struck out b4 daylight up into the hiils. after a 1/4 mile or so, she realized i was serious. she decided to sit down by a tree and take a nap while i continued on my way, with the strict instructions of being back by 10:30.

i finally got settled into my spot and started calling (i thought) with my yard sale box call, and a couple of mouth yelpers i got from a buddy. i will never forget how cold nanny's fox double barrell 20 gauge was in my hands. anyway much to my shock, a turkey appeared right after daylight. it was a hen i thought, but it was a start. slowly more of them began pickin' thier way right to me. then BAM i heard the gobbler in hot pursuit! every one of the hens would make a noise he would sound off like a cannon. gobble gobble gobble big time. i cought a glimpse of him about 75 yard away and through some trees. my heart was exploding, and looking back it was a miracle my 11 year old body didnt croak right there.

painfully slow time was dragging on... and then i heard it. faint at first, but increasingly louder. it was my nanny "jonathon" at the top of her lungs. it wasnt a normal yell from her, she sounded scared. i jumped up and the turkeys took off like a pack of helicopters. i ran back down the hollow till i got to her feet.

i was so out of breath i couldnt speak, but she could. "jonathon" she said excitedly. "did you hear that?"
    "hear what?" i said.
    "the mountain lion" she whispered.
    "what mountain lion?" i said.

"you know, the one that was making that wierd AaAaAa." (she perfectly descibed the gobbler i was calling)

that was the first time i ever felt the urge to cuss my grandmother. instead i hugged her and we went home in silence.

17. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i like this thread. yall need to keep coming with these stories, they get me all pumped up.

18. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    Ok so we were chit chatting, hehehe, I wasn't paying attention at all, I happened to look up and low and behold, I had 2 decoys out when I knew I only put out one. Will does have 1 thing wrong. Guess I was a little selfish, but Linda and I agreed, bird to the right was mine bird to the left was hers since thats the way we were sitting in the blind. First shot was mine, and I dropped him on the spot. I had about an 8 yard shot with my Winchester youth 20 gauge, turkey load, there must have been 20 birds to the left waiting for Linda to shoot, after I shot they didn't move, they all just looked around like what the heck was that, so Linda positioned for her shot, about a 12 yard shot, and she missed, the whole time my bird is flopping on the ground. This shot scattered the birds into the corn and she refused to try another shot. But hey, I got my first fall bird hehehe. We then jumped out of the blind to find Will already standing behind our blind. High fives for everyone but Linda LOL.

I do have several turkey stories as turkey hunting is really my passion. But I will pace them :eek:oooh:.

Will and I headed out one afternoon at about 10:00 am to sit in our blind, I had my trusty slate call in hand. We agreed that first shot was his and I would call. We had our blind set up on the edge of a field near the tree line. It was probably about 100-120 yards across the field. And of course when you plan on something it always goes backwards. So we sat there for a few minutes let things quiet down a little from us moving in I didn't put out any decoys. After about 10 minutes of sitting, I sounded off a couple quick yelps followed by an assembly call. Nothing... we waited... a few minutes later I sounded off again this time with just a few clucks. Thinking if they weren't coming to the breeding sounds they might come to see what the clucking was about. We heard nothing. a few minutes later, out comes a lone tom. Of course he is way over on the other side of the field, I did a little clucking and purring on the call and he went to full strut, walking in his little circle dance. Sure enough out comes a hen to lead him back to the woods. He started following her, so I put off more soft purrs and got his attention again. The hen finally went back to the woods alone. All along the tom is strutting, spitting and drumming in the middle of the field, coming closer a yard or 2 and going back. Finally he went back into the woods too. He was just awesome to watch but I knew if I had a dec or 2 out there he would have come in. So with him now out of site, we moved the blind to the middle of the field along the tree line. This time we would have a better chance of getting him closer no matter what side he decided to come out. So later that evening we headed back out to our blind. This time I set a lone hen out in the field about 15 yards from the blind. We got settled in, and comfortable, I kind of figured they wouldn't come back in there till close to dark. So I took my shoes off and got comfy. Hit the call, and bam a gobble way in the distance. I thought omg it is going to take this boy a while to come in especially if he gets hung up by the creek. So I waited about 10 minutes and sounded off again. He gobbled again this time he was getting closer. This bird was on his way! A few minutes later I hit the slate and he was really close, So Will got set up. So now, I start with some soft clucks and he sounded off with every sound. He was in the woods! I hit some purrs and in he came running. We were set up for fire on the field, and he came up in the woods. Will put his 12 gauge on my shoulder, I hit a sharp cluck and the bird stopped raised his head and BAM! About 30 yards. A nice 25lb tom with a 12 inch beard and over an inch spurs. What a blast!

19. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    These 2 pictures are of my son's first bird and my first bird. I have already told the story of my son's first bird. I haven't released my story yet, but I will later. Everyone told us we would not get 1 bird in our first season, let alone 2. But here is proof if you do your home work you can. :wink:

Attached Files:

20. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You ask for it so here goes. It was the last day of season and the clock was ticking down. My wife and walked hand in hand down the lane in camo chit chatting as we usually do after a good luck kiss we parted and went our seperate ways. Time dragged and the fall sun was slipping beneath the horizons when all of a sudden I saw 5 male turkeys and they were headed at a angle towards me acrossed a picked cornfield. I kept coaxing them to come closer to no avail. They were at a point where I had to decide. I thought maybe 50 yards and nailing one of them would be a miracle. I also thought last day sun sinking and how great it would be to smell my wife cooking a wild turkey. I eased my 835 mossberg's safety forward and looked again the big ol devil was looking right at me!!! I inched my sight up to about 6-9 inches above his head said a quick prayer and squeezed trigger. Birds jumped in the air but somehow my bird was laying on ground!!! I lay there saying a quick prayer of thanks and to my disbelief all of the other birds were attacking my bird!!! I quickly jumped up and ran to my bird. He was a beauty!!! I picked him up and dam he wasnt dead!!! He spurred me on my arm and hand and blood was flowing. I wouldnt let go and he beat me with those powerful wings that lifted his 26 pound body into flight. I finally got ahold of his head and wrang his neck. My glove was soaked in blood but I had my bird!!! I paced my way back to my shotgun in the blind and was in shock. 73 paces!!! I thought noway so laid bird down and pace back 71 paces. I met up with the wife and as we admired the bird she was fussing over my cuts and bruises. We left the field hand in hand and made it home just as it was getting dark. This is the story of my longshot gobbler!! What happened to his tailfeather's is another story!! But a little hint Belinda is the blame!!! Stay tuned.