Tell me 'bout dem freshwater prawns.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Swampfox., Dec 10, 2009.

1. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Dirtdobber pm me this morning with questions about prawns. i realized then that i never posted a thread about them. here is the run down on freshwater shrimp. macrobrachium rosenbergii- the giant malaysian prawn.the popular fresh water speicies for commercial cultavation.creative marketing stratigies allow small scale family-owned bussiness to operate from the carolinas to texas. my state of Louisiana has been slower to jump into prawns, im the second farmer in La to get into, Lsu barely covers prawns in their aqua-culture program. they want to focus more on crawfish. louisiana is definatly behind. these prawns can be grown in ponds as small as a .25 acre upto 5 acres. generally smaller ponds are better in my opinion, as far as mortality and yeild. weve gotton 900-950lbs out a .5acre pond. takes trial and era and alot of science. the hatchery phaze ends after a few weeks and juvenile shrimp the size of a penny is stocked into a prepped pond, havested ruoghly 130 days later. {i skipped to the harvest, to save on typing, i'll answer questions, but to cover every thing i'll be here all night. anyway, you drain your grow out ponds for your harvest. some farmers will have whats called pond bank sales, where the public will come out on harvest day and buy shrimp right outta the pond. the rest is processed and frozen with nitrogen prossesr.i found a few pics to show you what the look like.

Attached Files:

2. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    All I knew about them was that they are great grilled.I used to work for a machine shop and I would have to travel to Laplace La. I used to buy all the rock shrimp I could fit in my cooler and haul them back home.I realy miss them but prawn are very good.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i dont know how i forgot to mention this earlier, its my biggest selling point. prawns are heart healthy, they are accually approved by the american heart assoc. they are all natural and free range prawns. high in protein, low in fat calories, cholesteral, soduim, and iodine.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    What kind of temperature range can they stand?

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    water temp 68f not to excede 90f. 55f they go into shock.

6. festus

festus New Member

There was a fellow who raised prawns up here a few years ago. He was only in business for 2-3 years. I think he stopped because he had to go to work out of town. His pond had to be no bigger than .25 acres. But I know his water had to get below 55 degrees during winter. Matt, reckon he only raised them during the spring through fall? Or is there a way to heat your water? I didn't realize he even he had a prawn pond until a few months ago. No, he never went back in business.

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    most areas get only one 4 month season. south Fl and the other farmer in Louisiana {south} are getting more that one harvest a year. every where else not but one harvest.

8. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Can they be raised in large tanks where you can control the temp? Like if someone want to raise them for their own use?

9. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    yes you can,. thats how the hachery is, big swimming pools, inside greenhouses

10. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Matt, Do the farmers of these prawn have any regulations to safeguard these from being introduced to streams and lakes? With all the Asian Carp, Snakehead, Gobys, Zebra Mussels and a lot more species taking over our waters?

11. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    not really because theyll die. they wouldnt survive in ditches or washes or streams. water has to be specific. also , Jim. you could put two or so females in an aquarium and keep them indifinatly. the hatcery keeps females like this during brooding

12. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    How do you start out? Do you get brooder and raise your own or do you get eggs or fry?

13. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    you could get mature adults or start with juvies. the hatchery part is difficult because these shrimp in the wild swim back to where the rivers meet the sea and the water is salty. the eggs need brine to hatch, once hatched the larvea. in the hachery when the female has her clutch on her belly, very simaliar to crawfish. she is whats called berried, placed in salt water eggs hatch in 28-32 days. this is now post-larve or nursery stage.they will molt from here up to 11 times. now we have juvenile or grow out stage, you put in ponds. up into this point its all been indoors.they need to be past the brine stage before you could raise them up to grow out.

14. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    heres some pics i found. nursery tanks and a friend with an adult prawn. and some females with eggs. notice the aquariums behind him, thats the hatchery. the tanks are the nursery.

Attached Files:

15. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    then a .25acre grow out pond, then a harvest bin onthe downslope end.pull plug end.

Attached Files:

16. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    heres some too make ur mouth water.:smile2:

Attached Files:

17. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    So if a person wanted to raise them for his own use, You would need to be close enough to get them when they get passed the brine stage?

18. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    When we started talking about them I had to get my bib and put a towel over my computer:smile2: Wish I was closer so I could see your operation.

19. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    you make it to the national, i got you coverd. you can have live adults shipped in sealed containers with oxygen. theyll last upto 48 hrs like that.
    airfreight obviously.

20. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    We plan on being at the National. It will depend on Linda's health. Dr says she can travel now but that may change by next year. I hope she is up running by then.