Tell me about your Cat Boat...

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by SVTFisherman, Apr 11, 2008.

1. SVTFisherman

SVTFisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio - West Chester
    In other posts I've talked about my catfishing kayak a little , but now I want to know about what makes your boat a great rig for catfishing?

I just purchased a 17' Tracker Bass Boat with a 60hp Evinrude. Even though it's not a deep V hull version, I believe I'll feel pretty safe fishing the Ohio river near Cincinnati. My goal is to fish the inlets of the rivers at least a dozen time this summer (work permitting of course :confused2:). So a few mods I'm going to do my boat is install LED lights near the bow and stern seats.. since we'll be night fishing from there mostly. I need a way to mount a decent sized net behind me (need to mount PVC vertically and then probably use a bungee cord to lock down the net), and probably a spot light so I can navigate better at night back to the trailer...

My first step is that I have to work on the anchors so that I can safely hold myself to one area.. I'm thinking a fluke or ring type anchor with an electric winch in the front and an anchor mate II with a 25lb anchor in the back. (The theory is to drop the main anchor in the front, let it drag along the bottom.. when it connects then manually drop the heavier anchor in the back to hold it steady... just a thought.. any better ideas?).

It already has 8 rod holder mounts.. just need to get some decent 3/8" threaded rod holders to screw in (found some interesting ones on Ebay recently).

No pictures yet, but once I get it set up, I'll be asking to see if anyone wants to buddy up occassionally and try our luck out there.

So anyone want to post pics of their catfish barge?

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Here's mine. It's a Wooldridge Alaskan II. I really love it, just have to make a few mods this year and it will be perfect. I am gonna put an electric anchor winch on the center of the bow, install red or green lights around interior, make a different rod holder that hold four across the back instead of off the seat and then remove the seat and make a new aluminum box seat that is a livewell too and lastly a fold down top to keep the sun and rain from beating on me so hard. Here she is....

Attached Files:

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the BOC i dont have a boat yet but im thinking about getting a jon boat and fixing it up

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I cat out of a 1756 G3 Duck Boat pushed with a 2 stroke Mercury 60/40 Jet outboard. She will run pretty much anywhere.....:eek:oooh: rollo

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I FISH OUT A DURACRAFT 178DLX, WITH 35 GAL AERATIED BY TWIN 360 GAL PUMPS,TWIN 55 WATT RUNNING LIGHTS( THESE ARE FOR RUNNING DOWN THE RIVERS THAT I FISH 1 LIGHTS UP IN FRONT AND THE OTHER LIGHTS UP THE BANK),ONE FOUR ROD HOLDER FOR FISHING ONT THE BACK,ATTWOODS ROD HOLDERS ON THE SIDE (4 ea),LORANCE FISH FINDER, 50gal LIVE WELL,TWINE 50 WATT REFLECTOR FLOODS FOR FISHING AT NIGHT MOUNTED ON 8' POLE PLACED IN FRONT CHAIR MOUNT,DECK MATE 24 MOUNTED UP FRONT AND A DECK MATE MOUNTED ON THE REAR.
    THATS MY RIG:big_smile:

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish from a 16' high side deep v-bottom. I love fishing in rivers, and this boat sticks where i put it. it has a nearly new merc 40 hp. tiller engine. Lots of room. I have a couple of older pics in my profile here. That was just as i was finishing it up, after the rebuild. I've done a lot with it since then. Here's the catch...I paid $800.00 for it! check it out.
    :smile2:

7. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    I HAVE A 16 FT POTOON WITHOUT FURNITURE, HAVE A 9-9 4 STROKE MERC. I HAD THE CONSOL MOUNTED IN THE CENTER AND BACK A LITTLE OF THE BOAT. 2 ELECTRIC ANCHORS AND TO THROW IN ANCHORS.
    10 POLE HOLDERS MOUNTED TO RAILINGS. RAG. FOLD DOWN ROOF AND A TAKE DOWN BIMI TOP MADE FOR THE FROUNT OF A PONTOON.
    ALSO PORTABLE POTIE WITH POP UP CURTAIN, INCASE FEMALE ON BOARD. TWO FISH FINDERS AND ACUE VEIW CAMRA TO SEE LITTLE FISHES . ALSO POLE RACK ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CONSOLE.

I THINK THAT COVERS ABOUT ALL OF IT
    MOOSE:wink:

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I have a 16 foot Quachita fiberglass flat bottom, deep sided boat. For those of you not old enough to remember this boat, it is a great boat and very sea worthy. It has off-center console, with Hummingbird 535 fish locator/depth finder. I have an Evinrude 88 Spcl motor w/trim and tilt. Evinrude trolling motor on front deck and a front deck pedestal seat. Have a front floor mounted seat and a rear floor mounted seat plus drivers bench seat that doubles as a live well. Have four rod holders with 2 additional brackets for alternative mounting configuration. Have bimini top which is shot and not worth much for protecting you from the weather anyway. Have one large sand anchor for single line anchoring and several others for alternative anchoring configurations. It also has two rod racks one horizontal on the side and one vertical on side of console. I had a new floor and transom put on it last year in Florida replacing the old rotting wood with the new PVC panels fiber glassed over. The boat should last me the rest of my life …. The boat is very sea worthy and has very shallow draft. .......... Garry-

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a 1975 15ft lowe with a 1982 15 hp johnson sea horse 2stroke,I am all over the Sippi and DesMion/Skunk-Its a good lill fishin boat

10. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have a 1974 sea sprite 16 ft tri-hull 115 johnson front seats taken out put a casting deck up there with a pedastal seat mercury trolling motor rear seats taken out with pedastal seat for driver and passenger and a ped seat in the rear a bimini top and a cooler type bait well or live well but u couldnt put anything big in it no rod holders yet just bought the boat last fall still working to get it set up like i want it

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    SeaArk 20 ft. V=Cat Suzuki 150 h.p. 4 stroke

12. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Saw the pictures in another thread, pretty nice!

13. HOLD-ACCOUNT

HOLD-ACCOUNT New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    WELD PRO Wave Punisher 2072

GREAT BOAT and a GREAT TRAILER.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile: 175 Suzuki 4 Stroke. This rig sips gas at 30mph 5.9 mpg. WOW:wink:

Attached Files:

14. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
  15. trek1220

trek1220 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 20' Grumman Pontoon boat setup for fishing that I use on Atwood lake. Perfect for the family.

16. thecatkiller

thecatkiller New Member

State:
    ohio
    our boat is a 18 1/2 foot bayliner with a small cabin and a 125 hp motor- big top and spray shields -video games and dvd player for the kids-coelman camp stove to cook pizza and wings-small trolling motor to pull our planer bobbers trolling for catfish set up-pretty cozzy and warm -save in the waves to about 3 to 5 feet at lake erie.and it gets them fish too-the front bow on top of the cabin makes a nice place to toss the cast net with a large open area to toss and fill a bucket with shad-after getting the cabin I dont think I could go back to a open boat.the comfort is near that of home and the shelter from the rain and cold is awesome-