tell me about your best night catfishing!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 18, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    with all of this cold weather, and high water conditions that has me held up again, i need a little something to give me the fever!!! So, grab yourself a hot chocolate, or coffeye, and sit down and tell me about your best day or night out fishing and what you caught.. it may simply just be just a p.b night, or a night of catching numbers. I want to hear your stories...hopefully soon we will get warm weather, and goodfishing again....rollo

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    It was back in 1968. I took her out to dinner and a movie. From there it was one base after another. LOL!

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    BG you beat me too it LOL, I was thinking about posting about the same thing

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    is she your personal best george?:roll_eyes: rollo

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    George,
    He said best night fishing.
    Just because there was a worm involved doesn't make what you did on your night a fishing story:wink:...W

6. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I started fishing with the tuesday night redtails back in Oct. 07. My first night out with these guys we were fishing for Flatheads at energy lake On Barkley lake. For those of you who Don't know them, they are as follows.................... Griz.....lilgriz.....Captain Rob.....Chef Lou.....Jazper.....Tailfin.....Cotton John.....And then there's me John catfish young. My first night out with them Captain Rob landed his PB Flathead of 41 lbs. That was an exciting night to say the least. But my most memorable night has to be Nov 13th .The first night we switched from Energy lake to Devils Elbow to try for the big Blues. After catching plenty of Skipjacks and plenty of bluegils, we began to fish. At approx. 6:00pm as I was sitting by my poles and having a cold beverage or two ,My pole with the bluegil head launched toward the lake and as I sat in amazement watching ...line began to scream off of the spinning reel with the drag set rather tight. I grabbed the pole as it was skipping towards the water. I stood up and set the hook really hard. I slipped on the wet rocks and busted my rear end. With the pole in one hand the fish helped me to stand back up and I hollered I got him Boys I got him... Oh crap I think we are gonna need the net on this one. He's a big one. The fight went on for several minutes and my legs began to go out and my arms became weakened . I would pull on the fish and you could hear the 20# test singing like a banjo string about to pop. After playing him in, he cracked the top of the water sending water shooting into the darkness of the night and you could tell he was a good one. After just a short while he was at the bank and in the net. He was my personal Best Bluecat at 47.9 lbs. That is my most memorable night so far. Looking forward to many more. We fish every Tuesday night of the year. We fish all night long and into the next morning as well.. regardless of the weather. We have sat thru tornado warnings and thunder and lightening storms...hail storms and 15 degree temps. I guess it all boils down to one question...would you really rather be fishing ? I know I would.:wink:

7. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    wow i got several the one that really sticks out is back in 1994 or 1995 i was fishing in the osage river the last week of sept took a week off work one day got started around noon because i fished all night the night before, caught bait (shad) threw the anchor out and got 3 poles in the water and bang a rod went down 37 lb flathead 5 minutes later bang a nice blue then i lost a fish so i pulled up anchor and went to the bank and walked up to caseys a gas station and called my wife told her to wear old clothes and bring a camera she never went fishing with me before real fishin anyway so when she got there showed her the flathead she took pics we went back to same spot threw anchor out again within 10 minutes a rod went down i said get it she reeled in a 43 lb blue she was so excitted it was cool well another rod went down she jumped right up this time and started fighting the fish i got the net again but one of my rods went down i told her your on your own now baby 2 more flatheads at same time hers was 28 lbs mine was 16 lbs this action went on until we had to leave because it was getting dark and she wanted to go in and i was starving. but that afternoon im not sure exactly how many fish we caught but i do remeber it was 6 flatheads not sure how many blues but im guesing the total weight would have been over 350 lbs lots of 15 to 40 lb fish . in 95 the dam was running water allmost all summer the drift fishing in the osage river was fantastic easily catch 250 lbs of fish aday of blue cats.

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    It was in May 1991. I was fishing with a lady friend on a river in Florida. We started fishing just before dark and were about 10 miles up the creek. There were no houses or anything within 5 miles of where we were. We had statred fishing just at dark and were catching 3 to 5 channel cats on every other cast. We were using bobbers with the bait about 24 inches down.

At about 9:00 PM a sotrm came up, with wind, torential rain, and lighting. I gave my friend the only pancho I had on the boat and tried to crank the motor. All it would do was crank, wouldn't start. I hoisted the anchor, dropped the trolling motor in the water and decided would try to make a go of it with that. The river we were fishing is under a tidal influence and luckily we were at dead tide. The bad part it was dead low tide, which meant in about 15 to 20 minutes the tide would start coming in and would be going in the opposite direction I needed to go.

At the time I had only one battery and threw trying to crank the motor, running the trolling motor and the bilge pump ... it wasn't long until the battery was run down. We had made about 2 miles progress and we were dead in the water.

The rain was still pouring, although the lightening had stopped. The water was accumulating pretty fast in the bottom of the boat and had to elevate everything and start bailing. The rain finally slowed to a drizzel which was some what of a relief, but we were still about 3 miles to the nearest house.

I remembered having the warning flares in the boat ... I checked and there were 3 of them. I fired one of them and it worked like it was supposed. I was sure that it was high enough to be seen, but doubted if anyone would. Why would anyone be out when it was still raining and there was still lightening in the area where the houses were.

I had anchored the boat because the incoming tide was now stronger than I could paddle against. I had no battery left so I had no running lights either, but I did have a flash light. About 10 minutes after firing the first flare, I fired another and ten after that I fired the last one.

So we sat there. The rain finally stopped at about 11:00 and the night air got cold and everything I had on was wet, as well as there being about and inch of water covering the floor of the boat. Just for the hell of it I started blowing Morse Code SOS on the whistle I had, but all was silent around.

I was sitting on a boat cushion on the bottom of the boat to stay out of the wind, but my teeth were chattering and my hands were about numb.

Shortly after 3 AM my friend said she thought she heard a boat motor off in the distance. I couldn't hear it, but lept straining to hear it. I had anchored the boat at a point in a bend which had a straight shot to the next bend of almost a mile. At first I thought I was seeing things, but soon realized there was a boat coming up the straight, shinning his search light from shore to shore. Thank God for my flash light .... I stared shinning my light toward the oncoming boat and it wasn't but a few minutes a sheriff's patrol boat pulled up. It was a deputy that was friend of mine. He said if he had known who it was he wouldn't have gotten out of his warm bed to come check. He towed us back to my dock.

The amazing part of the storey is .... when I fired the first flare ... an old man walking his dog saw the flare and thought someone was shooting fireworks. He walked over to his neighbor's house and was telling him. The second man was a retired Coast Guard Officer. So they both stood there and watched when I fired the other 2 flares he was sure someone was in trouble and called the sheriff's Office. Then he could hear my whistle, but unable to catch the SOS part. Since the sheriff didn't have anyone on duty they had to call someone in, go get the boat and launch it and travel up stream to where we were. Oh, by the way we through the fish back that we had caught. We got home about 4:00 AM .... I took boat to shop and I guess it was the power pack that had gone out. A fun night!!!!

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    great story garry, but that kinda makes me want to stay home, not go fishing after dark..lol...rollo:smile2:

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    "IT WAS A DARK AND STORMY NIGHT AND THE 11 HOOTER GIRLS WERE STARTING TO TURN BLUE AND WANTED THEIR CLOTHES BACK"..........:smile2:They also wanted to drift fish instead of having to pull the anchors every time we moved.Unfortunately I cant go on this being a family oriented website!!!!!!ROLLO;Not only is she George"s personal best she is his "only best"!!!!!!!:big_smile::crazy:METALMAN, be more specific!!!!!!:roll_eyes:,otherwise George will insist it was a "NIGHTCRAWLER" when in truth INCHWORM would be more correct.:smile2::big_smile:Go fishing man ,forget the weather!!!!! ORRRRRRR go down to HOOTERS and order some wings!!!!!!

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    will someone put up a half-way normal fishing story for the sake of this thread, and for everyones well-being?...i can stomach the thought anymore about whether george used a nightcrawler in 1968 or an inch worm, and frankly don't care!! lol !:crazy::eek:oooh::embarassed: rollo

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    My Dad and I were fishing on Kaw Lake on night about 4 or 5 years ago fishing for blues a couple of miles from the boat ramp when we noticed some storms up north. We kept a wtchful eye on the storm and for the most part it was way off to the north. In the middle of the night the winds picked up significantly so we decided to head for the ramp. Well up north they gotta lot of rain and all of it was headed our way.We were fishing the old river channel so all of the floating timber and debris was comin our way. So here we are moving at an idle with a spotlight in the middle of the night with a storm coming up on us dodging lake mines. and they werent just limbs and twigs they were big trees and logs coming down the channel.I had never seen anything like it.It looked like the whole lake was one big logjam. Well we made it to the dock just in time to get to the truck before it started pourin down. We slept in the truck til the mornin.the boat ramp was covered in debis. we had to clear a path just to load the boat.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i understand what you feel rollo. lets see if i can help ya out with the cabin feaver. lol

best night of catfishing was "03" or "04". me and my best fishin partner, which just happens to be my cousin, hoosierpolecat had been doing well that year. it had been raining for two days and we knew we were in for a good bite. so we put all our gills together in a bucket, i think we had 42 gills between us. loaded all the gear and my little 9ft pram in his truck and headed for the creek. we put in at a lil bridge over a creek about 1000yrds from the main river. we paddled down the creek and set up at the creek mouth on the down river side. we started to set out our three rods each. we didnt get two each set and we had two rods singing and the nights first of many doubles! it took a few fish till we got all 6 rods out and beers opened. i think we already caught n released a doz before the beer started to flow!!!!! about an hour into this frenzy we had to stop using live gills and started cutting them in half. another hour and we were outa bait. the bite hardly slowed as we caught loads of 10s n 20s a few 30s and a couple of 40s! we must have caught 50 or more flatheads at that one spot in about 2.5 hours. as we sat there looking at the last rod out with the last chunk of gill, i called another buddy to see how many gills he had on hand. he said he had a doz but could go check his trap and bring us those too. we didnt want him to know where we were so i told him we would meet him half way. he said ok and by the time i hung up polecat had caught n released another 20som#er from that last rod out. we left our stuff at the creekmouth and paddled up the creek to his truck. we met my buddy and thanked him for the 18 gills he brought us and headed back. an hour and a half after returning to the creekmouth we were out of bait again! we toasted each other and slammed the last two in the 30 pack and headed up the creek, glowing from what we had just been through(or maybe it was all that beer lol). luckily we still had a bit of luck to spare because mr. green jeans pulled up as we unloaded the boat at the bridge. he asked for our licences and if we caught anything. we showed him our licences and then i handed him the camera showing him how to flip through the pics. wow holy sh*% he said as he looked at all the pics of the 20-45#ers on my camera. he said, he didnt even know those kinda fish were even in this river, as he handed my camers back. he then said for us to be carefull going home and drove away. we high fived our lucky encounter with certain arrest, finished loading the truck and headed for the house.

hope that helped you for a bit rollo: tim

14. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Gotta say my best outing took place only a few moths ago. It was the first time I met ProstreetS10. We originally met at schmitt ramp, and wouldn't you know it was closed, so we went back up the road 4 or 5 miles to downtown cincy, finally got the boat in the water about 6am, motored up to a spot I had been thinking about and through out the anchor. Got situated and I through out the first pole really just to get it out of the way. No sooner than I had set the pole in the holder and turned around it starting screaming, bluecat right of the bat. And this process didn't stop for about 5 hours or so. By noon we had upwards of 25 fish caught if I am not mistaken. Blues, Channels, Flatheads, and a striper and a big drum. I couldn't get over all the fish we were pulling out of the same hole! Prostreet wanted to get into his first river blue that day and he did ten fold. I believe we had doubles on 3 times, 2 for sure maybe he can chime in on the 3rd. Long story short we ended up with 29 fish that day, and the 29th was a 29lb blue. And just to think, if the original ramp we met at would have been open we probably wouldn't even have fished that hole....Moral of the story, I dont have to get cabin fever to bad because I live right next to the Ohio. but man that will always be remembered as the best fishing outing I have ever had....yet:roll_eyes:

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My persoanl best fish of 50-lbs came in early august of 2002.
    It was hot as blazes but we had a front come thru around noon that day and we got about an inch of rain quick.

I just had a feeling! I got to the river around 3pm, all I had for bait was frozen shad..I casted my first rod out and before I even set it down the fish was running with it, I turned off the clicker and set the hook on my personal best...From the time I got to the river untill I had the fish on the bank was appx 15 minutes.

Now this is just a night I remember well, I also have kept a jounal for many years, it was when I caught my first 40-lb flathead...We were even using spinning gear in thos days.

It was late May, 1984, and my buddy Steve and I headed to Stewart Lake in Scioto Trails State Forest. We needed to catch approximately fifteen red-ear sunfish for our night's flathead adventure. Sunfish were spawning and the shallowed-out depressions of their beds were numerous at the shallow end of the lake. For some reason the red-ears weren't biting that day, and it took us over three hours to collect the bait we needed. However, we found from previous experiences that when the sunfish aren't biting, the flatheads are. Tonight was no exception.
    We arrived at our designated flathead spot for the evening and got busy setting up for the long night. There was a hint of a storm in the distance, as thunder could be heard many miles away. We got our four rods baited up with red-ear, and after casting them into the creek, we anticipated the night's first flathead. Our wait was short, as the drag on one of Steve's spinning rods started screaming. He picked up his rod and quickly opened the bail on his reel, and at the same time was cranking his drag down tight, which had been loosened to allow a fish to run without feeling resistance. After setting the hook he realized he had a good fish, which turned out weighing 22-lbs.

About twenty minutes later, I got a hit on one of my rods, and I set the hook on what has turned out to be the biggest flathead I have ever caught. The fish put up a good fight, but I had no intentions of letting it get away, and it was no match for the heavy duty tackle I was using. We were both very excited as we were weighing the fish and it pulled my scales down to their limit of 40-lbs.

By midnight we ended up catching four more flatheads, between 15-25 lbs. We had to stop fishing because we had run out of bait. I will always wonder how many fish we could have caught that night if we had come better prepared with more bait. The moral of this story is: Always bring more bait than you think you will need.

16. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    My most memorable trip was about 5 years ago. Me and my son went up to the Prvidence Dam on the Maumee river. It was the middle of the afternoon and about 90 degrees out and we were using nightcrawlers. I threw 2 poles out for him and then I was reading a book while he watched the poles. I heard a noise and saw one of the poles sliding off the table he had me set them on for him. He got it and gave it a big jerk and the water exploded. After almost 20 min fight he got it next to the bank. He caught a 25 pound flathead on an old johnson reel with 12 lb test line on it and a rod that should have snapped like a toothpick. My 7 yr old had had just beat my best catfish and best of all ther were lots of people around and got to see his fish before we threw it back.
    Just goes to show you never know whats gonna hit what when you throw a line out.

17. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio

You beat me too it. Couldn't have said it any better man it was crazy. it's been my best fishing outing i have ever had too...yet:roll_eyes: We'll see about that this year.The 29lb blue was tbull's PB blue . We botch caught alot of nice size fish that day. 29 was the biggest.

18. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    back in th mid 70s three of us went out on the huron pier in huron,ohio on lake erie. we took a big coleman cooler full of beer. by sun up all th beer was gone and th cooler was chuck full of good eatin size channel cats. rite then and there i knew i was HOOKED :big_smile: :cool2:

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ok, here is my best night.. the best night i ever had was back in 1997. i went fishing alone that night, because all my buddys bailed out.lol. i went to a favorite area of mine, and the flats were biting!!! i could not keep up with the rods i had out. biggest being around 30 pounds, with numerous other fish. total weight was 92 pounds!! that was my best night! Now, i have had numerous other nights fishing with friends etc. that exceed that. The pic. inside my avatar with my buddy, that was a tournament night. we fished for an hour and a half and caught 5 flats, total weight was 107 pounds!! them two in the avatar were both over 40. But the biggest!!!! im mean the biggest weight we ever caught came a few years back, between me and two buddys i took, we caught 9 fish...4 of them around 20 pounds or more...for a total weight at the local feedmill the next morning at 128 pounds!!! still our record today. we have had numerous 60-100 pound nights, but can't seem to top that one. i have a polarized photo of it, if i can figure how to scan it i will post it for you to see. sorry, my story didn't involve nightcrawlers or inchworms! lol... i just can't wait until the season is here again, hopefully stories from all of you will keep me ready...rollo

20. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Rollo was the bait doughballs or hotdogs,you dont have to reveal the ingrediants but give all the new brothers some insight lol:wink: