Tell me about a GPS unit

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by odtimr, Jan 23, 2008.

1. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Well santa forgot me again this year, something about too old and ornery. But I think he did put in an order at Cabela's I believe I was to just go pick it out. Now I been thinking about a gps for when boat fishing. Trouble I know nothing about them, have never seen one in action, only pictures. I haven't any idea what to expect with a unit. I tried to find something online that shows, first of all how they work, and then what to look for, didn't have much luck. I fish mostly the 2nd largest lake in Nebraska, and believe there should be a map available of the lake, if the unit requires one. I am really interested in finding my way back to the loading place at night, and would like to know how fast I am trolling. Any help, ideas appreciated. Thank You
    Luck

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    you can go to lowrance.com and download a emulator of their units and its just like using the unit it is free and a good way to learn how to use them and see what they do,hope this helps

3. DMC

DMC New Member

State:
    Texas
    I had a Lowrance X15-MT that was ideal for the GPS function and the sonar was really great as well, but the price wasn't so great. I currently have a Garmin GPSMAP 182C and have all my lakes and coastal data loaded and it has saved my hide more times than I can count (which tells you how easily I get lost). Well under 500.00, and there are newer units out now that are very good, still supported and should fit that same price window.

I like Lowrance, or I used to really like them but as of late, their customer service and some of their models have been less than stellar. There are lots of reports online about them having issues. Garmin is top notch in the GPS realm however.

The cool thing about GPS for speed is that, even in a river current where your speedo would normally show you moving faster than you are, your GPS shows point a to point b speed but discounts the waves, if there are any. I was just using the GPS speed indicator for trolling Tuesday.

There are also hand held units but holding one while driving, especially in any kind of rougher conditions, can be challenging to say the least.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    so r u wanting to get rid of that Lowrance now??? If u are i gotta home for it:)

5. DMC

DMC New Member

State:
    Texas
    It already found it's new home on my friends center console. :smile2: