tell me a story

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by David Knotts, Dec 8, 2005.

1. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I need somone to please tell me a deer story, I broke my leg in 5 places, and can't go huntin yet, PLEASE HELP also pray for my wife, she can't stand me much longer, if you don't have a good story, JUST LIE! MERRY CHRISTMAS.

2. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Well my only deer story fo rthe season was a miss. I had been hunting for a couple of days. We had seen more does then could be imagined, but we were in a fork or better area. Finally the evening before we left I spotted a fork. He was standing broadside to me at 25yards off tothe side of a logging road. A perfect senario. I cocked the lever action .357 I was using. Put my sights right on him and CLICK. The bullet did not go off. Right after the misfire the doe he was with bolted and he quickly folllowed.

-Brian

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Only got to go one day for 3 hours,nada.

Saw a hardcore boy yesterday walking to his truck out of his stand.Stopped to shoot the $hit with him as I've not been out much.As we were talking,a funeral procession passed by.To my amazement,he stopped talking,took his hat off,and bowed his head.I told him of my respect for him for doing that.
    He replied

"It's the least I could do,we were married 48 years"
    Bwhaaaaaaaaa :D

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Dang,good story.

What took longer,dragging it out or typing that story?? :crying:

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Great story Jess. I copied it into the library. Thanks for sharing!

6. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    My story isn't nearly as good as Jess' but it is kind of interesting. I was hunting 2nd season of our shotgun season last weekend here in Illinois. I needed to do some work on my treestand and with the wind blowing from the wrong direction I decided to ground hunt instead. I made my way as quietly as possible down a ridge between too draws and overlooking a 7 acre pasture. Found a decent place to sit with some brush at my back to help conceal me. The wind was hitting me on my left cheekbone which was about as good as possible for my location. It was cold as all get out and the wind was a brisk 20-30 mph. Just as the sun started going over the horizon my peripheral vision caught a movement to my left and a hundred yards out from me. I turned my head in slow motion and made out two deer trotting toward the pasture with the second deer nose to the ground. I watched as they came into full view and realized it was a nice buck. He caught up to the doe and mounted her as I watched them through my scope. She turned with him still riding her and I got a good look at the spread which was WAY beyond his ears. I continued to watch them for 45 minutes as he mounted and remounted her at least 30 times hoping that she would lead him a little closer and away from the brush that was obscuring my shot. Needless to say it never happened except one time and I just didn't have the heart to pull the trigger when he was in that position lol. Never saw him again the remainder of the season but hopefully he produced some nice offspring for the coming years. I have never watched deer mate and did not realize that they would do it so many times in a row. Kinda made me jealous. ;)

7. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Well dave here goes,
    Week before open, there are so many acorns it sounds like I have four flat tires when I drive in, end of the colors sun is out air is fifty degrees. About 8:30 a.m. I step out to sit with my coffee. Right off, out the left eye I catch one doe down the hill in the dry creek. I must have spooked her a little. So I run upstairs to that side of the house. Wait a bit and there she is in and out of the brush then a clearing in front of the old log corn crib . Then another doe, the two wag and wiggle and head for the pond.
    I go back downstairs grab a couple small horns , set outside again and rattle.
    Off to the right theres a big field a beautiful devil spike post guard. From my left out come two little button bucks right in front of the house. They are running around playing tag. Here comes the devil spike and runs them off he wants the attention. He stops dead center of me broadside. The sun is up over the long high ridge on my left lighting up the hollow. We keep it natural and it looks like eden. There is that wonderful mystic connection in the air and four more does cross at 150 yards on the cross creek seperating the hollow. the spike stands and chews buck berry for half an hour then beds down right in the middle of the field where he is standing. I go out for a stick of wood an hour later and he stands up again. Season opens and we see two does running for thier lives and that was it. Still no meat in the freezer. :sad:

8. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Thank's yall. tell you how i did it i steped in a hole, i think it was an old gas light pole, felt a snap, snap, snap, snap, snap, and then i felt the ground, 8 screws and 1 plate, I can stick a magnet to the side of my leg, but i did get to go huntin yesterday had one blow at me. I have to thank God for workmans comp. Ha, HA.

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Wolfman you are good, love the story.

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    To let yall know i did this the week befor bow season i have to admit i did cry opening day.

11. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Never give a 2 year old cookies while you are in a deer stand, i did this 2 years ago and my son went nuts, this was the first time he was in a stand and he baunced off every thing it was so funny, also never let him hold the light, or have the grut call, but we both had a great time untill it started to get dark. He did not understand being outside when it got dark. The memmories of those first hunts that we had will be with me for ever.
    Two days later I took him back with me, no cookies this time, and i shot a big 6 point, that was the best hunt that i have ever had. If you have a young kid and you are not taking him with you. You don't know what you are missing. Isaac is now 4, and i have killed 4 deer with him, another big 6 point and two doe's, but the very best hunt that i will ever be on is when he kills his first deer. I think that is every dad's best hunt.

12. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    good stories wolf man keep em coming and i'll keep reading em'

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Deer story huh? Would you settle for a moose story with a deer participant?

My buddy and I were on a moose hunting trip near Eureka, Montana, which is just west of Glacier National Park, and just south of Canada. We stopped at the local general store, and the owner took us out back to his garage where he had a whitetail deer hanging; it field dressed over 300#. The next morning, we were on our way to a logged over area we planned to hunt, when we saw what we took to be a calf moose about 1/2 mile away. We were hunting for the freezer, and weren't interested in a calf, so we just sat and watched it bounce around for a while, then disappear. At that point, my brain began to work a little, and I asked my partner if a moose bounced like a deer, or lumbered like a cow--I had never seen a moose before. You guessed it. It wasn't a moose, it was a deer, so much bigger than the one we had seen the evening before that we didn't even recognize it as a deer.
    Later into the hunt, we each killed a moose, got them into the pickup, and returned to camp. I had an overhead pickup camper, so we had to figure out some way to get the two moose into the camper. I was afraid that if we put both moose into the camper, the bottom would fall out when I lifted it up to drive the pickup under it. The jacks I used allowed the camper to be set right down on the ground, so we decided to cut the head & legs off the smaller moose, make the dinette into the bed (minus the cushions), and put the smaller moose on the bed. Then we would put the camper on the pickup and load the larger moose onto the camper floor. We had had a drink or three to celebrate when we got back to camp, so we never thought of the problem involved in trying to slide a moose over a metal lip, AGAINST the grain of the hair. It don't slide worth a flip! My buddy had the back end, while I had the front end, and I was getting more and more upset. Finally, I lost my temper, picked up the front end of the moose, and threw it through the door--and the back end of the moose. The carcass ended up being right side up with my buddy trapped underneath. We finally got the moose put to bed, loaded the camper onto the pickup, backed up to where we had spotted the larger moose on a hillside, and slid it into the camper--headfirst, this time. I took the smaller moose, and had a 'traveling butcher' come to my house and cut it up in my garage; while he cut, I wrapped and labelled. There I was, with about 400# of meat ready for the freezer, and I realized that if I put all that meat in the freezer at once, it would take several days for it to freeze completely. While standing there pondering the problem, I happened to look out the back door of the garage and saw it was spitting snow at about a 30 degree angle. I walked back and checked the outdoor thermometer, and it was 10 below zero. I began carrying the packages of meat out to the back yard, where I laid them down in a single layer. Withing a couple or three hours, I could drive a nail with them. I brought them back inside the garage and put them in the freezer.

14. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    i like that turkey story....
    makes ya onder if the gobler thinks he got him two blow-ups..hehehe

15. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I enjoyed reading all of yall's stories, thanks for sharing :)

16. Cat_Catcher29

Cat_Catcher29 New Member

State:
    McKinney, Tx
    this is a story i found that happen to this guy

Attacked by a buck (Long story)
    This is the hardest hunting story I will ever write in here. I am still in awe of what happened this morning, and I think my buddy Steve is still shaking his head too.
    I was all tagged out for hunting on November 23, so all I've been doing is watching and waiting for my buddies to fill their tags since then. Ken and Wilf have both filled their tags, but my buddy Steve from down Island still had a buck tag to fill and wanted to come up hunting today, Dec 10, last day of the season.
    I had to drive my wife to work at 7:00am, so I told Steve, that since legal shooting time is around 7:10am, he'd better get back in the fields by at least 6:30am. I told him where to sit, since Ken, Wilf and I have all gotten a buck from that one spot this year.
    I got down there at just after 7:00am, still dark, ..saw that Steve's truck was there OK, so sat back in my truck, over-looking the fields, with my binos and thermos of coffee. I love just sitting there watching the deer cross, hoping they will go where my buddy is, which was around the corner of the bush and across in the corner of the back field (shielded from my view).
    Steve had said on the phone that he would leave me a walky-talky, just inside the barn door, so I could whisper to him if I saw a big deer coming. I looked around for the walky-talky, but couldn't find it, so I checked his truck. Sure enough, there they both are laying on the seat. I guess one had gone dead, so he didn't bother (found out later).
    It was about 5 minutes before legal shooting time when I saw 4 good size deer way down the field, headed toward the back-door, which would take them around my buddy on the other side of the stream and hedge-row, without him ever seeing them.
    Oh how I wished we had the walky-talkys working so I could have told him to sneak out there and get ready ....but we didn't, so all I could do was watch and hope something would go his way later on in the morning.
    Those 4 deer got past him, without him even knowing they were there as it was now legal shooting time. As it got lighter (about 20 minutes after legal shooting time and getting nice and light now), I saw 4 more good size deer cutting around the same way...."DRATS"
    About 8:30 I saw a doe cross over toward him, but he needed a buck, so that was no good.
    In the meantime, all morning, so far, a fawn had been laying out in the middle of the field, that my buddy was set up in . It finally got up at seeing the doe come across and joined her as they browsed for a long, long time in the field.
    I guess Steve saw another doe and fawn come out over by him somewhere (out of my view) also.
    about 8:45 another fawn crossed over toward Steve. Looked like maybe a little nubber in my binos (not sure)
    OK...it's 9:00am now, and nothing but that last little nubber, who I had been watching for about an hour before it actually crossed over the fields.
    I figured maybe Steve would be coming out soon, so I thought, since it's the last day, I'd go down and fold up my Pop-up blind and get it out of there for the season, while waiting for Steve. It was situated closer to the farm, and around the bush-line from Steve anyway, so down I went to retrieve my blind.
    As I am approaching the pop-up blind, I stopped along the bush edge at the main deer trail that comes out there, and looked into the bush really good. To my amazement, there, about 60 yards in the bush is a really nice buck watching me. All I saw was his grey muzzle at first (they stand out like a sore thumb). It's standing between me and about 20 yards in from the fence-line of the back field where Steve is located down in the far corner, on the same side. I figured if I spooked the buck, he would run out to the field and head straight down into Steve's sights.

Now here's where it get weird...real weird.

I walked up to the fence and the buck just stood there at 60 yards looking at me, not moving. I crawled through the fence, and the buck never moved.
    At this point I'm thinking, he must be tired from rutting and a bit rut struck, because he reminded me of a big rutted out buck I had shot quite a few years ago, that was sleeping while I circled him directly up-wind at 15 yards, without even knowing he was there until he stood up and lazily looked at me.
    Anyway, I started walking toward this buck, and he wouldn't budge. He's still standing there, still as can be, head down, staring at me as I close the distance. At 10 yards, I'm thinking, this is crazy...absolutely crazy.
    I picked up a big chunk of bark and threw it at him, thinking for sure he'll turn and bolt out toward Steve...but no, he just stomped the ground once, jerked his head and held his ground.
    Now, I'm starting to get a bit nervous at this point, so I climbed under a branch to get at a better angle between me, him and the back fence, so he would surely take off that way, whenever the stupid, crazed thing decided to go. I pick up a stick and throw it at him, just missing him and he never budged. I looked around for something else and grabbed another big chunk of bark and threw it...BINGO...hit him in the head and off he went running.
    But he didn't head for the field, but instead down along the fence-line, just inside the bush, toward where my buddy Steve sat.
    I thought great, Steve's going to get this dumb, rut-crazed brute.
    NO..he turned and headed left, instead of right to the field.
    I took off running to cut him off and turn him back toward the field. but instead, he stopped, beside a big old fallen tree.
    I thought if I could just get on the other side of him, he'd have no-where to go, accept through me or out toward Steve.
    I managed to get around, with him, standing there watching me in a little swampy spot. I closed the distance, hoping he would bolt for the back field. NO......he held his ground, head down, shaking his head and bobbing it up and down.
    I was starting to get a bit scared about this time ..LOL..actually a bit before, but not as bad as now....LOL. I took out my folding buck-knife, took off one glove, so I could grip it well, and walked closer.
    I closed in on him, a small bent over tree between him and me, the very large fallen tree on the other side of him. I'm now at about 10 ft from him. I really can't believe what's happening myself, but I was bound and determined to get this stupid critter moving toward my friend.
    At this point I should have walked away ...but no..I picked up a long stick and reached out and actually tried poking him with it. He just looked at me with fiery eyes and shook his head at the stick, like he was sparring with another buck.
    That's when I lost my patience, with this loony tune deer. I stepped over the small tree between me and him. He is at about 7 ft now, with nothing between me and him.
    I have my glove hand out, hoping he won't do anything I might be sorry for, and my Knife clutched in my other hand. I stomped my feet to get him to move, but instead, he came at me.
    I grabbed him by his one antler to direct him blow on my thigh, and keep his tines from my leg, and then grabbed the other antler, while still clutching my knife.
    OK, now, I'm real scared, OK ...LOL....He's pushing for all he's worth, I'm holding on with both hands...now what. He's now failing his head around at all, but pushing directly into me. I let go with my knife hand, stab him in the neck, and slice down, as quick as I can, then, back holding the antler again.
    Still struggle to hold my ground, I can see that I got the juggler and he is spewing like a tap. We stand there together, him trying to push me over and me holding him against my thigh for what seemed like 5 minutes. He is getting weak, but the dang thing won't go down.
    The fear is leaving me now, because I can feel him getting weak, so I let go again with my knife hand, reach forward and plunge it behind his front leg, aiming for the heart.
    He starts pushing me again...we back up a bit. We are only about 30 yards from the back field, so I just held on and walked slowly backward toward the field as he just kept pushing. It didn't take long before we both emerged into the back field...me backward, holding a deer by the antlers, with him pushing me.
    I glanced over toward the corner of the field, (about 70 yards away) to see my buddy Steve still sitting there, with his jaw in his lap...LOL
    It didn't take him long though, to be up and running over toward me.
    The buck was getting pretty weak now...finally...so I let go again and gave it another stab in the vitals. It probably wasn't necessary, but I really did want to let go and take a break. I'm getting too old for crap like this.
    As Steve ran up to me, I gave the deer's head a twist, and down he went like a calf at a rodeo. I held him there for a minute and my buddy wasn't saying anything at all. I think he was, what ya call, speachless....LMBO.
    I finally let go, and the buck stayed down...........WHEW
    Then it hit me...I burst out laughing and we've both been laughing ever since.
    My biggest, and I mean my biggest regret, was not remembering the camera in my pocket. I should have gotten Steve to wrestle it out of my pocket quick and get a picture of me and the buck while I still had him by the antlers on his feet.

Upon gutting the deer, it became evident of what was wrong with this buck. He wasn't rut crazed at all...he had been gut-shot or gored (couldn't quite tell) a few days earlier, and was not about to go running around too far. Thank goodness that buck was so weak, because I had a hard time wrestling with him, even in the condition he was in.

Of coarse my buddy Steve's tag went on the buck

I still don't believe it, but it's a great commercial for Buck-Knives...LOL

Attached Files:

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Thanks for all the stories, and for the time yall took to wright, makes a deer hunter proud.