Tell me a little about castnets

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by jerry9497, Dec 21, 2006.

1. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Hello All
    I read the throwing castnet articles in libary, but was wondering more about wear to throw it. Should I be seeing the bait I cast at or looking for bait balls on sounder or just throw it from the bank?

2. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Throw to the ones you can see, if you can't see anything
    throw to areas where they might be. If you have a current
    with some kind of structure they will be there feeding on algea.
    A fish finder can help you locate clouds of unknown stuff,
    sometimes it is shad and sometimes it is not. The walls of a dam
    or spillway usually hold many shad. In the winter the hunt for shad
    can turn into a real hunt, but they are there somewhere....
    Good luck.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the board, Jerry. If you can see the bait then that makes things easier than if you can't. Direct your efforts on areas where bait fish or concentrated or should be concentrated. In the winter months that usually means balls of bait fish suspended in open water. Warmer months could be shallows, damns wind blown banks etc. I guess what I am saying is if you go out and just start throwing the net at the water would be like shooting up in the air and hoping a duck flys intio the shot pattern. May take some time and a few of them shots in the air before you figure out where the best places to try for bait are located in your local waters.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jerry the colder the weather the farther back i can catch bait in the coves. i would look in the coves on the lake your fishing right now. most have bait in them and some have more than others. with this warm spell this week seems like the bait has moved out to the mouth of the coves in deeper water. catching them below 10 ft has been a battle for me but i have noticed when they are close to the bottom in deep water i can catch them when they are in big schools in my 7 ft net. i think it traps them before they can swim out when they are close to the bottom. if you can get out on the lake in the dark weather it be at night or in the morning you will be better off because once first light starts they seem to go deeper. also in the dark look around the lighted piers. i rely on my graph for locating them. try to focus on areas that have a lot of shad instead of a school here and there. lots of small shad at tillery right now and they swim right threw my net with 1/2" mesh. nothing better than fresh bait. fresh bait is key to big fish.

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    So far I would agree with all other posts but would like to add...

when the bait is deep you will need a heavy net and may need to lengthen your line. If the net is not heavy enough the shad will be able to swim from under the net

went fishing with another boc member he had a heavier net. We were throwing in the same area but he was catching bait...

We have added some additional weight to get it to sink faster. however when throwing in the shallow coves you will want a light weight net or else it will get hung up every throw...

good luck!

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Don't leave home without two (2)!!!!!!

:big_smile:

7. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Thanks guys I'll give it a shot. I have seen it thrown many times but I've allways stoped and got minnows. I would rather try it your way. better bait, bigger bait, maybe cheaper bait. cheaper if I can catch enough to pay for net. If you see some idiot throwing net all wrong, in wrong place... stop by and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    PM Mudkip. That guy can throw a castnet in the middle of no where and hit bait. :lol: The boat dock, boat ramp, middle of the lake, backed up drainage ditches, he finds it everywhere. :lol:

9. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i've never tried throwin in winter, but from what i've heard and learned from people, try it at night at a lighted peir, where the light is hitting the water is where the shad will be, cause the light attracts their food. i've always gotten them at the boat launch, i'll get the net ready, launch the boat, throw the net once or twice after the boat is off the trailer and the buddy is parking the truck... this won't work on a busy ramp, on a busy ramp you should always clear the ramp as soon as the boat is in the water to allow others to get in or out, but as you are waiting on them to get their boat in, you can throw close to the dock, just let them know so they don't think u r being rude and not getting out of the way.

if u r nice to people, and just ask, they may just wait a min while u throw the net once, and then move out of the way. it never hurts to ask.

another place that has seemed to work for me is the shallows next to the ramp when the ramp is busy... then u r out of the way, and the bait aren't at the ramp with all the boat action goin on.

10. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    another winter tip that can help ... try small bodies of water. Smaller poonds or creeks have fewer places for the shad/bait to "ball up", most are easy to reach from the bank. Catch some brim and big minnows this way as well. I've done well enough over the past two trips in a creek about 10 mins from my house, I have not had to find/catch them on the lake for about 30 days. Normally go the day/evening before, put them on ice in a cooler for fishing the next morning, or freeze them for the following week or two.

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I have one other question. Do you keep all you catch in net? are you supposed to throw back Perch or anything? I read that you could catch them for bait as long as it was on hook and line. shad the only thing I want or is shad anything in my net lol.

12. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i wouldn't recomend keeping everything that comes up in the net. NC regulations state that you can only keep nongame fish caught in the cast net. i've been checked while catfish / crappie fishing cause i had the castnet out on the peir with me, and the game warden wanted to make sure that the crappie were caught with line and hook. you never know what the game warden will look for, so my best advise is to follow the rules and throw the game fish back. the choice is really up to you, if you want to break the law or not. its good that you asked though, before going out and not knowing and getting caught doing something that you didn't know was illegal.

13. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    non game fish as already posted. you keep anything else and you may have a invisible game warden in there too.:wink:

14. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    The only fish I think you can keep other than shad, herring and such are white perch. They are not listed under the category of game fish in the reg. book, and the law says that you must release all game fish, so I think it's OK to keep white perch. they are pretty good baits too sometimes.

15. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    THis weekend they are having a seminar at the Bass expo on castnetting. At Tillery we focus on areas around docks and near light. Take light if you go in the dark b/c it is hard to tell what bait you have, we have accidentaly kept a baitfish or two and didn't realize it until daybreak and the fish was already dead. Last time we caught a nice little bass and threw it back. Years ago I saw a guy catch a nice 3-4 lb bass of some type in his net and throw it back, I was too young to know distinguish the type back then.

16. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont have much experience with lake fishing, but the one time when I was at a lake (old hickory in tn) I would see dark spots on the water, they were dense schools of small gizzard shad. When a school came close enough to the dock I would throw the net on top of them.

I have plenty of stream fishing experience. Here is a narrow rapid area where I always catch all of my bait during the summer. The slightly deeper areas, as well as behind boulders often hold fish. But in a small stream like this it doesn't take long to cover the area and catch enough bait.
    baitfish_spot-small.jpg