Tell me a few spots to fish at Monroe.

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by chris_ce, Sep 8, 2009.

1. chris_ce

chris_ce New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Got a boat a few weeks ago and need to know where the fish are at Monroe. Not the most reliable boat but it does fine as long as you keep it above idle. would prefer a few daytime areas also. Don't have much for lights yet.
    I hit the creek channel east of the causeway a couple of weeks ago and there was a ton of fish(fish finder) but I didn't get a bite.

In the past I was always on the bank fishing and I am also new to the boating world.

2. evilfud

evilfud New Member

State:
    IN
    Dont forget the boat plug!

3. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    LOL! Yeah! you would think once would be enough!

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Member for almost 2 years with 17 posts, and you are askin for fishin spots.:tounge_out::smile2:
    Good luck.:wink:

5. hawghaul

hawghaul New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've heard good things about Pine Grove, Cutright, and the deep/shallow slope near the dam. There are definitely good fish near Cutright, as we had a 10lb. Channel not long ago. Pine Grove has produced some fish this year for several of the guide services, though I'm not a huge fan of them or their lies about size and weight. I would check Pine Grove, Cutright, and Paynetown. I have yet to hit Middle Fork, but I know theres good fish in there. Plenty of slow water with good cover.

6. chris_ce

chris_ce New Member

State:
    Indiana
    so just what does that mean. That since I don't post much people won't help me or what???
    The story is that I hit the river with a friend a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the catfishing. We hit it a few times between Spencer and Paragon and it was great. anyway things come up an people get busy so two years later I want to get back into it but my boat won't go up that river. Seeing how you are from Kansas anyway if you don't want to help then don't not that you would know much about Monroe anyway. However there is no need to try and make me look bad becuase of my post count when I have something to add I do but I am not much for chattering.

As for the boat plug I make sure it stays in all the time and just use the bildge if I need it.

I will try the places mentioned. Thanks

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Chris,
    In addition to the places hawghaul mentioned you can drift fish a lot of water on the idle zone side (east) of the causeway. Get yourself some shad and get to it. There are fish all over the lake and thay will bite during the day.
    Good luck...W

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You dont know anything about monroe Winston!!:smile2:

You have been awfully quite here lately.. you done any fishing lately

9. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I know it well enough to know where I could hide your weighted body.

Just watching Shane......just watching:wink:
    ...W

10. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    like winston said, get yourself some shad. they are EVERYWHERE right now. i was at monroe on sunday and monday, caught over 200 shad in 4 throws of my cast net. wish i could say we did as good with the catfishing, but we didnt. only ended up with 4 channels, and 1 20" largemouth. :confused2:

the channels we caught came from everywhere. from 4ft of water drifting, to around 30 ft of water anchored. and a few sitting on the bank uder the causeway during the storms. we did get alot of bites, but with the wind whooping us, it was hard to detect most of the time

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It means that most people find there own fishing spots, and dont ask others for theres

12. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

Maybe he could have asked for some help in a more tactful way but Monroe is nearly 11,000 acres. There is plenty of advice we can offer without giving up any honey holes.

I understand where you are coming from and I agree everyone should have to pay some dues but honestly, there must have been a time in your lives when someone gave you a hand to get you started on something?

All I ask in return for anything I tell him is that he respects the fish, the lake and other anglers and pays it forward...W

13. hawghaul

hawghaul New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear that you had a tough time Kyle. At least you caught some fish. We continue to be skunked by Monroe every time we go out looking for cats lately. Not a single bite. We've fished everywhere from the dam to Pine Grove and nothing. Of course, I'm still partial to the idea that whiskerfish at Monroe are prone to daytime bites, since I've seen a lot of them caught during light and very few at night, especially from shore. But who knows. We ended up making it out to Monroe that night as well, but I didn't get your number into my cell before I had to run out of the house to pick up the lady from work. And we probably saw you at one point, we were at Cutright.

Anyway, as far as asking for help goes, I think Monroe can be real difficult. Its big and there just aren't too many spots that are great for shore fishing for those big catfish. Try the causeway as well. It produces some fish there, as theres a bit of a hole on the one side.

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lmao...

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't know Monroe hardly at all, but I have never had a bit of trouble finding flatties there. Just anchor up near the rockiest bank you can find near deep water and cast up up by the rocks/bank with a live gill.
    and Winstons right.... drift fishing is the way to go on that sucker... even right out there with the skiers.... I love drift fishing that lake.

16. hawghaul

hawghaul New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, but the fact that some of us are shore-locked makes finding those deep spots along the bank a bit more difficult. I do have a decent topo-map with good depth marks, though, so it isn't as bad for me.

Can't wait to get out on a boat and do some fishing- river or still water. Our worries now come with the size of fish we'll encounter. I'm worried our little 20lb. test lines and cheap rods won't hold up. Hopefully they will once we hook into something with some weight.

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The guy finally gets a boat and asks for advice as well as finally makes a post and you are jumping him?

18. chris_ce

chris_ce New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If I can make it out this weekend I am going to try the drifting. Need to find a drift sock first but that shouldn't be to hard. I will also try the Pinegrove. I fished there before off of the bank but never caught anything.
    Thanks for all of the info.

19. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    I sure don't know the posters intent, but with the smiley faces and the smiley wink I took it he meant we should be asken you for advice because you must have been doing alright. But who knows. May be it's just because I have surely asked some of the dumbest questions on these boards and have never recieved anything but helpful answers. So good luck Chris with your fishen Monroe and anywhere else you try.:big_smile:

20. chris_ce

chris_ce New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I took it as he was laughing at me for asking for help without being a better contributor to the boards.
    I know sometimes it is hard to read people without seeing an expression or tone of voice. So if I misunderstood I would gladly say sorry.
    I have been on other forums where people are rude, swear at you, and in general try to make you feel like an idiot. So sometimes it's just hard to tell what they are saying.