Tell about your last Flathead!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by john catfish young, May 23, 2008.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Many of us are obsessed with catching big Flatheads. I thought this would be a good opportunity to share information about your most recent catch of a big Flathead......Be as informative as you can be...without giving up your " Honey Holes "...... My last Flathead was caught on 4/22/08 and weighed (43.10 lbs.) I was fishing near Lake Barkley in Western Kentucky and caught the brute on a live Bluegill on a float in about 2-4 feet of water at 9:30 pm. The moon was also full. The fish was CPR'd in about 90 seconds and still lives!!!!!!! Let us hear about yours too!!!!:big_smile:

2. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    My last Flathead was caught sept 07 it weighed in at 28.8lbs caught with a small crappie. It was one of 4 that went 15-28.8lbs. Have not got my first one yet this year and I am going a little bit crazy just thinking about it. Second trip this year will come May 29th, YAAAAAAAA:0a23:

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    My last good size Flathead was in early April when they were just starting to bite. It weighed 28 pounds and was caught on Threadfin herring around 9 pm on the TN river. My wife was fighting a Blue at the same time! Of course, this story will change with a significant upgrade after this weekend :wink:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My last flathead was caught 4-25-08 on fresh cut shad and weighed 22-lbs.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    My last nice flathead was caught on May 9th of this year. He weighed almost 24 lbs.Caught on a 6 inch bluegill with the river about 3 or 4 feet higher than normal.My biggest for the year so far, hoping to change that this weekend.:big_smile:
    Fish was CPRd so I can get him when he gets bigger.

Attached Files:

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    mine was on 5-18-08 it wieghed 36lbs and was caught on a carp about 10inches long about 2am

7. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    My last big flathead was last night 5-23-08 he was 43" and 36lbs caught on the ohio river near pittsburgh at my favorate hole near alot of sunken timber, he was caught in 20ft of water on cut drum. I will post a pic in a day or so. My buddy Dino caught a fish of similar size 20 minutes earlier, overall the two of us caught probably 40 fish 5 above 20lbs and 2 above 30lbs all on cut bait about 3"by5" fillets another good night in the honey hole

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    The last flathead i caught was last year on Grand lake. I was throwing a gig, bass fishin. Pitched in beside a utility pole in about 10 feet of water and got tapped, reeled down and missed. I flipped back past the pole, tap tap, i set the hook and honestly thought i had hung the utility pole.:crazy: After about 15 minutes i managed to boat it. Fish weighed 17 to 20 pounds max, but was a heck of a fight on a 7" spinning rod with 12# p-line.

9. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The last flathead I caught was the second one I ever caught, new personal best, last night around 6pm.. it was 7.5 lbs taken from the scioto south of circleville on crushed head goldfish. 3 oz no roll slip sinker above 2' leader with small stout circle hook. It was a nice looking fish, pics on unfinished disposable....Made my night! Arrggh I need a digital camera but I'm afraid I'd lose it in the river hehe. My hole is treacherous. I tie myself off with 20' of rope and basically repel down the bank to net my fish. All get released safely a shortways upstream i can walk down a fallen tree. Being my new personal best it will make avatar if i ever snap up all my tackle box disposable shots to have developed. 2nd flattie! New PB .. Glad I found this site that fish was awesome... cant wait to land a true monster from the murky depths~!

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    last one i caught. well lets see. 6 lbs and tasted mighty fine.:wink:

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    5/20/08
    Third trip out of the season.
    River temp about 57f
    Air temp about 50f

I got two nice flatheads, one was my person best. 44lb & 41lb, both on bullheads.
    My buddy got the biggest of the night though. He caught his personal best. 47lb

Attached Files:

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    67.2 lbs caught on 5-27-08 at 10:30 pm....on a live green sunfish. Fished on the bottom in about 4-6 foot of water. It was misting rain on and off all night.:cool2:

There are pictures posted in the TNR thread...under Kentucky lakes and reservoirs

13. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Nice flatheads being caught! What about the last flathead period? My last flathead came in a tournament late last year. I was fishing a wash out area on the TN river. I was setup for blues and using cut skipjack when my back rod slammed down like a freight train/submarine was trolling through the area and just happened to hook my line. I rared back on it and thought I had missed it but I kept feeling a bump bump. Well, I continued to reel in and I landed a 2.5 pound flathead. Meanest, biggest, baddest take down I had on the whole trip which included a 23 pound blue. Flathead full of attitude and small fish syndrome!

14. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    last flathead i caught was with gus...wait okay ill tell the truth it was gus's flathead but i got my picture with it lol. anyway it was only 5lbs but it was still fun seeing one caught. hopefully ill get one soon.

15. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My last flat was on the Mon river caught in about 15 ft. of water with 12 pound line and cut bait (white bass). It weighed 14 # and was released after some pics and a weight. Took me 20 min. to get him in on my Bass rod.