Telescopes Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mark J, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Does anyone stargaze?
    Santa Claus brought my daughter Kaylyn a Meade RB-60 telescope for Christmas. Although its an entry level telscope it sure presents the moon in a way we've never seen with our own eyes. It's awesome.

We're still in the learning phase of using the telescope and its lenses but look forward to doing some planet and galaxy viewing.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Mark,

I had one when I was young, then got another model when I was in Alaska for wild-life viewing and general goofing around.

Brings back some good memories!

May have to look for mine now! :embarassed:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I figure if she can latch on to it at a young age it may compel her to a greater achievements then her ol man.
    If she sustains an interest level and fuels my interests I'll invest in some premo equipment and we'll become martian hunters.

4. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hmmm? I had one and used in a more down to earth way. I used it to look in dorm windows about 1/4 mile from my dorm. MY BAD,MY VARY BAD.smokey

5. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Would like to own one but really don't know enough about them to make a good decision on which one to buy.
    Any suggestions?

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mark, my daughter gave me a Digital Meade a couple years ago for Christmas.
    It will automatically find and track stars but about all I've used it for is to view people on the lake. LOL, it's great for that!

I would use it more to view the sky but there is too many tall pines near our deck so it stays in the family room.

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Wife got me a dandy one for Christmas a few years ago. It's is battery operated motorized with a remote. It has a CD that came with it and you can download it and then it will update and tell you the position of the stars at the present time. I'll see if I can't download it and forward to you.

I checked out the moon when it was full right after I got it. Could see the mountain ranges and craters pretty good. We've moved since then so it's out there in the shed. Maybe when warmer weather gets here, I'll break it out and do some more looking. Might even be able to see the space station.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Chuck, sounds like we must have the same kind or very similar.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    We had a cheaper one years back. Would like to have a good one.
    My kids enjoyed it, so did the wife and I.
    back when we went camping a lot with friends , we all had kids about the same age.
    Sometimes someone would bring one for the camp site for the kids which included the adults. LOL. Good for camping.
    friend of mine brought one when fishing on the bank. Its good fun for the whole family and can see some cool stuff. :cool2:

Dayton, I bet you could see some interesting things on the lake. like when the fish was biteing and where. LOL.:big_smile:

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My grand son Riley got me one for Christmas this year! It was wrapped in beautiful paper. I was at a loss as to what it was,that is until he informed me that I had to look through one end to find the pirates! lol :big_smile:

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Yea Dan, like people fishing. :wink: :lol:

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We live in a good place for using a telescope. Down on the farm and away from city lights. It gets real dark here yet amazingly light at night during a full moon. During a full moon you can carry on with some activities with no artificial lighting.

We're learning so any information is a help.

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i done the same except it was a freinds sisters bedroom down the street and over the hill a ways , i got busted one night she was looking back :lol: i miss her , she was fun .

mark i dont know alot about them high power teles but iv seen some good stars when i was young living in wyoming , clear sky's help alot . i hope yall enjoy the scope and with any luck you may see the new space station i hear its as big as a football feild .

14. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Got my son an 8" dobsonian reflector for his birthday. It's awesome. See galaxies, nebula and finally after two months of no planets out, Venus.

15. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    my lil brother got a $20 telescope for xmas, it isn't too bad. This was taken just a few hours ago. The moon is actually upside down and horizontally flipped, I was using a periscope on the telescope so I wouldn't have to bend way under to look through.

moon1.jpg

--