Telescope recommendations....

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by paleocaver, Nov 14, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    My son and I are really getting into astronomy and would like to get a good quality telescope. We bought a $100 Edu Science scope at a toy store that spouted 600x. It was so shakey and hard to adjust we boxed it up and will take it back tomorrow.

We'd like one that could see a planet or two and good detail of moon surface and maybe a stray galaxy. In doing a bit of research I've found that going for "power" is really just an advertising gimmick used to lure you into a cheep scope. The true power comes from focal length and objective size and some ratio of the two.

Any ideas on a scope say no more than $300 or at least some good brands to research.

2. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It has been a awhile,but I believe you want a reflector telescope.I believe that is what they are called.as opposed to one in which you just look through and see straight through.This one actually has 2 mirrors in it,to gather the light and reflect it through the eyepiece.These I think are the best for seeing faint objects.

I believe that if you do a google on celestron,they make good quality and last time I spoke to them,which was years ago.they were very helpful.
    Some of their telescopes,and I am sure others,have a motor on them which actually turns with the earths rotation,so if you find an object,you do not have to keep adjusting,it auto-follows it.
    Peace and Plenty.
    Kevin

3. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  4. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm with Kevin on this one, a nice 6 or 8 inch dobsonian is the most cost effective way to to.

Kinda big, but boy do they show some sights on a clear night!

Stay far far away from the "walmart" ones with the long shaky tripods, for just a little more money you can get one that works well.