Tee Tops for boats. Anybody have one or used them?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Big Dav, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Hello again,
    When I was looking into buying another boat a while back I was strongly considering a Skiff style boat. One of the things I liked was that some of the ones I looked at had a nice top on the that mounted around a center console (tee top). With my lack of knowledge of what I was looking at, I thought it was something that was only offered from the factory and not aftermarket. I have since learned better and I have been thinking about and researching Tee Tops. I have found a company that makes a nice one that folds down, allowing the boat to be put into a garage, etc. I like that option as well as the tee top not being mounted to the top of the gunnel as bimini tops are. We have a bimini on the deck boat and when we are fishing I hate he bimini top. I have tried to get use to it but I don't like having to fight a fish around the poles.

For those of you that may have a tee top or have had them on your boats. What do you think about them?
    I want something for shade for the kids and if it offers some protection from the rain, that is a benefit for me. (Would never intentionally have the kids out in the rain.)

Thanks once again,
    David

2. sneezer

sneezer New Member

State:
    pa.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I had a 20' Robalo center console with a T-top, and I can't say it did much for producing usable shade. If you have swivel seats, you can take a piece of scrap pipe that will just fit over the post, weld a bar onto it, then weld another, smaller piece of pipe to the bar. Buy a couple of 6' patio umbrellas and use one for each seat. This construction allows the umbrella holder to swing completely around the seat, so that you can get the umbrella between you and the sun. I saw those umbrellas on sale a month or six weeks ago for $5.00 each. Don't have swivel seats, but would like to have them? Instead of paying $75.00 each for decent swivel seats, buy a couple of high-back vehicle seats at the salvage yard. Since you won't care if they have a stain or two, or some other defect, you should get them very cheap. Weld a plate across the bottom of the seat, then weld on the fitting that fits onto the top of the post. If you're really handy, you can even make your own posts. These seats will be more comfortable, provide better back support, and even recline so you can take a nap while waiting for a bite. I've got a couple made from old bus seats, but plan to replace them with car or van seats.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What makes a T-Top great is the fact its like a christmas tree.
    You can hang alot of stuff on them like, lights, radar dome, rod holders, electronics, antennaes, anchor light, life jackets, outriggers, etc.
    I love the rocket launcher rod holders on a T-top to store rods. Get them up out of the way where there is no danger of someone falling into them or tripping over them. You can mount your electronics up high where its easier to view them while underway instead of looking down at the console.

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the replies.
    Mark you make a good point about getting things up and out of the way. I also like the rocket launches around the top. I still am thinking strongly about buying a tee-top, just don't know if it would be worth the cost (about $1,300):crazy:.

Thanks
    David

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats about as cheap as you'll find an actual T-Top.
    The way I look at it is, if you own a boat you arent happy with either sell it or spend the money to make you happy with it.
    I think a T-Top is a great edition to a trolling, drifting, or bottom fishing vessel.
    I wouldnt recomend it for a boat where alot of casting is taking place such as in bass fishing.

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Good point about casting. That could be an issue with overhead casting styles (my wife:big_smile:). She can cast a 1oz sinker as high as anyone I have ever seen.:smile2: I can just see her crashing a new pole off the side of a support post.
    There is a company that I have been looking at for a few weeks now named fishmaster. They will sometimes list one of there tops on Ebay but there web site is http://www.fishmaster.com/ . I like the idea of the top folding down to get the boat into my garage or basement. That was one of the major issues that I did not like about tee-tops until I found this company.

Thanks again,
    David