Techniques For Fighting a Fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Duane, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Duane

Duane New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Okay guys and gals your best techniques for fighting a fish to get him in the boat .Im not talking about cranking him in on a winch with piano wire just a good fight with quality line and experience.I know some say not to let them fight causes it can kill them or they wont survive .Personally Ive never seen this ,but to each his own .Alright you techniques .Mine is medium action rod an abu 4500 14lb test and let him run and run till he tires,if he doesnt seem to tire I chase him with the boat slowly anchor rope has a bouy tied to it so I can retrieve it later .I use the rod to lead him always keeping just enough pressure to wear him down and turn him when I need to .I use mostly light line with saltwater techniques .Ive never had one big enough to really change my mind about light line but my fish are usally 10 to 20 lb range .

2. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I must admit I like good sport from the fish I catch being concious of their safty at all times.

What I have learned the most is to relax and enjoy the moment, the addrenaline rush when one of those rods rip off is just too hard for me to put into words, but controlling this so as a blind panic does not ensue is easier said than done.

I have always used braid for my catfishing and they play much differently on the stretch from the mono. Using braid for me gives me much early indication to the fishes direction and depth than mono.

Playing catfish on the right tackle is also important, we all have the story about the one that got away, but the story of the one that went belly up due to over play is one touch wood I have never have to hide.

For the cats in the 10 - 20 even 40lb class I would use a 12ft carbon 2 piece 3lb test curve through action rod (the likes used for carp fishing in the UK) a shimano big baitrunner loaded with 30lb Sufix herculine, with either a live eel or loop of pellet fished from the bank on of course the pebble rig. with a size 4 short shanked wide gaped thick guage barbed hook.

mmmmm thinking of rigs makes me want to go fishing

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I pump the rod and reel down, and let the drag do the work. I pump and reel down on all most every fish. The ones I dont are small and I still bring em in slowly.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I also pump the rod up and down and reel steadily, unless the fish turns and starts swimming towards me. I like to let the drag do the work only thumbing if he starts heading for something I can see where he might break off. I like to lead them with my tip as they near the boat. You never know when they start making runs for the motor or anchor lines. It always seems like the bigger ones want to tangle in those.
    I also keep reminding myself to relax and enjoy. IF you let the adrenalin start kicking too much its easy to over horse and loose the fish.
    thanks
    Larry

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I might try the pumping the rod and reel thing.But what i usually do is keep the tip up and start reeling anytime i feel slack in the line until i get it in,so i try to keep the line tight so it wears the fish out,i dont have my line broke very often by doing this and i get more in that way rather then just hoursing it in like they do in the b@$$ tournaments.

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    He cant stay down with three barrels, not with three barrels he cant.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good one kspor!

I actually try to get them off the bottom fairly fast to avoid tangles. Then I am concerned with keeping them out of other lines. So most of my initial fight is management, which is finese and fun! Once all that is done I try to land them fairly quickly to keep the stress down on them, but they don't usually agree!! Of course some take more work than others, and most of the 5+ pound channels have a couple of good runs in them and one saved for when they see the boat.

The basic pull up, reel down, pull up reel down. Never reel on the drag. If they are taking line LET THEM TAKE IT!!

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm really agressive, I really put alot of pressure on fish. my friends say to much. I maintain my equipmentrod, reel, line ect. and I intend for every fish I hook to come to the boat no getting hung up over a ledge in a log jam ect.

9. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I like fishing with lighter line, 8-17lb. test. I only use heavier line when I'm fishing in a place with a lot of snags. I like to let the fish run and tire before landing him, this is also what I love about carp fishing. The longer and harder the fight, the better!!!:006:

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Following a fish that is 10-20 pound with 14lb line sounds more like you just like feeling them on the end. Not really intending to bring them to the boat tell they can't swim at all. I like the hard fight at the end just as much as the next guy. I just like to get them in as quick as possible. The less time there at the end of my line the less stuff that can happen. I always keep the rod tip up and let them take drag when they want too. It's really all about feel.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That's pretty much what I do!

12. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I run 65# and 85# PowerPro on my flathead rods. I only try to power them if they try to get into cover - I have pulled hooks loose from some nice fish by being too aggressive. I am only aggressive if they try to head for cover and then I only bear down to turn them. If they are in the clear I maintain a nice steady pressure and take my time. I want them tired out by the time they get to the boat. A big fish can be a struggle when he gets along side the boat and I prefer them tired and easier to manage.

13. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    On the contrary, I feel that i land more fish on lighter line than i do when using heavier line. When I use lighter line, I have to be careful and catious as to not break my line. With the heavier line, i feel overly confident in catching the fish, that i tend to try to horse it in. Sometimes I pull the hook out, and sometimes my 30# line breaks!!! When i fish with light line I land probably 9 out of 10 well hooked fish, at least. With heavier line, it's more like 7 or 8 out of 10. Plus, I think the longer fight is more fun!!!

14. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    The above, was in response to "Crazy"'s post on the previous page. I didn't relize their was a 2nd page yet and i thought mine next post would follow his!!! Opps!!!

15. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Ok, What would you guys do if a fish goes on a straight run and is getting near spooling you? Do you let it run and hope it stops before the end of the line? Or do you lightly tighten the drag to try and get it to stop?

16. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I keep quite a bit of line on my reel, so if in the case that it is getting close to spooling, that has got to be one hell of a fish!!!! I guess that I'd start tightening up the drag slowly to try and give the fish more resistence, in the hopes that this tactic would cause it to fatigue faster. I think of it this way, if it gets to the end of the line, the knot on the spool will break. If you tighten it too much the line will break, but at least if the line breaks you'll still have some on the spool. So, if your line is going to break either way, than I'd rater tighten up the drag and give myself a chance to catch it!!!

17. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I would never allow myself to be spooled. I use heavy superline with little stretch. I would crank him down before I got to the end of the spool and he would have to break himself off to get away. There is no way I would allow a fish to just pull all the line off a spool. I saw that happen once and I kept telling the guy to stop him or break him off and he didn't listen. I don't think the fish was as big as the guy thought and he let the fish dictate the fight.

18. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

The first thing you need is a pair of 16 oz. gloves!

19. G3Morton

G3Morton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't try and horse them in to fast. I use 30lbs. line but I still take my time on getting them up to the boat. They say if you bring them up to fast that it will screw a catfishes stomach up due to a air sack near thier stomach. I don't know if that is true or not, just something I read somewhere.

As far as a cat spooling me? I believe I would pull anchor and follow him before he took all my line.

20. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Well said, Crazy. That's all I would have to say about fighting a fish. Now as for a fish spooling me. I would love to see the day when that became a problem. I always use 30lb test and my reels have at least a two hundred yard or better line capacity so I don't see this becoming a problem. I caught a 43 lb blue last year in heavy current and he could barely run the drag and my friend caught a 50 in similar current and it barely took any line off of the spool. Yea, I guess if I were to fight a fish that could come close to stripping off all of my line that I would slowly tighten the drag. Although, I usually have my drag set at the optimum resistance for the pound test that I am using. So there would not be much room for adjustment. Vern