techniques and terminology

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Steve Douglas, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    what is your terminology of the technique of drift fishing????????

alright fellas! my boat is still being wrapped and i havent been able to fish for awhile! cant fish so i thought i would talk a little shop up in here!

ive had several people p.m. me asking my advice on how to locate fish!how deep, what they should look for, but most were pertaining to drift fishing!
    ive been driftin these catfish up for about 6 years now, and i learned the technique from a 70 year old man in a 14 ft john boat! i met him on the ramp, as he was pullin out and after talkin to him for just a minute ! best fishing advice i have ever gotten! i now had a clue, so i took it from there
    i have been lucky enough to fish competively inside and outside my state in 07 and 08 and i have met some good guys not to mention great fisherman!
    but i have noticed the TECHNIQUE/TERMINOLOGY varies from state to state! i can see where this might be where folks may be gettin confused!

what i call drift fishing, another guy will call it draggin!
    what i call a controlled drift fishing another guy will call it suspend fishing!

what is drift fishing?

heres my terminology for the technique and how i tell them apart!!

drifting--------find a starting place, drop your lines to the bottom and the reel them 3-4 cranks, and drift down river and hang on! use your trollin motor to stay on course!

draggin-------- find your starting place throw your lines out as if you were anchoring 75-100 ft out of the back of the boat and with the use of the trollin motor pull or drag your baits on the bottom!

controlled drift---- find some structure, whether it be a log jam stump fields, humps ledges, etc ! lets your lines down to the bottom and then crank the up 3-4 turns, working the structure by staying on top of it with your trollin motor.

suspend fishing ---normally i do this on windy days in lakes or rivers with lil or now current situations! i anchor my boat over or around structure, drop my lines to the bottom and crank them up again, 3-4 turns! so that the wind direction keeps me swaying back and forth above the structure.

bouncing ----is generally done with only one pole! locate your structure, drop your bait to the bottom, and bounce it in and out and all along the structure! but i often use this technique as im pullin a controlled drift also!
    two for one!

drifting can mean everything without being real specific because most all these methods involve the boat to move around, drift! whether the current, wind or trollin motor moves the boat!

now i am deffinently not saying my terminology is the right one, its just how i can tell them apart and i just thought it was interesting that the words drift fishing could mean so many different things!

so guys! how do you fish????? whats your terminology and techniques?????????????? of this so called drift fishing!!!!!!!!!

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    steve, i too am a drift fisherman but i've never broken it down into sub-catagories like you have. i have fished lakes in the past and cast out a couple of lines and let the wind take the boat across the lake with my line dragging on the bottom. lazy mans drifting. i fish rivers mostly now and do a controlled drift bouncing my rig on the bottom. this is alot of work but is my favorite way to fish. i love to be holding my rod when a fish bites. if the current is too slow for a controlled drift then i like to drag my bait along the bottom but i still like to hold the rod. i just like to feel the fish when he bites. i haven't had as much luck catching fish suspending my bait off the bottom and drifting but i dont use that method often either. there is a revetment bank on my home river that has a break in the middle that the river runs through when the water is up and water rushes through this break with a lot of force. i have caught some good fish by getting on the side of this rushing water and casting a large shad with a small amount of weight on it right into the rushing water and letting it and my boat drift through with the current. those big blues like this swift water. thanks for posting this information on the different techniques for drift fishing.

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    well steve i have seen the product of your your fishing , i thank you maybe i can stay closer to you in the next tourney lol. guys steve is a good guy i for one think you can trust what he as to say .

4. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thanks billy and Derick for the response on my driftin post!

i figured with all the questions i was getting, i would wright a lil something to help people distinguish between the different drifting techniques! but guess with only two responses, i was wrong and every body's got it under control!

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    steve i think that everyone is tied up with the holidays. not much going on on the arkansas or the mississippi threads. those are the only ones that i watch regularly. thanks again for the info in this thread.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Drift fishing here means x amount of lines out of the back and sides of the boat , each line is out at different distances , anywhere from 80' to 150'. Lines are on the bottom using slinky weights and a bobber on the leader to keep the bait off the bottom. Boat control and speed comes from the trolling motor and or drift socks .

Fishing a Carolina rig 2 or 3 cranks off the bottom would just be called " fishing down rods ", this can be done while drifting around by wind, motor , current , or while anchored.

This is just our way of saying it , but yea, it does mean different things else where. If someone said they were gonna drift, I would ask by what method......

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for posting steve, there are alot of folks out there that think the only way to catch catfish is to put something foul on the bottom.

8. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    I DON'T KNOW DRIFT FISHING THAT WELL BUT THAT WAS THE BEST BREAK DOWN ON IT I HAVE READ.IT MAKE EVEN A HARD HEAD LIKE ME
    UNDERSTAND IT.THANKS STEVE

9. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    DO YOU USE YOUR SINKER ON BOTTOM OR TOP

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Hard head is right...and a few other "choice" words!!! LOL:eek:oooh::smile2::eek:oooh:

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have always referred to drifting as any form of fishing where the boat travelling. I have used used the methods you mentioned, dragging the bottom (bottom drift) and suspended off the bottom (suspended drift). Throw in planer board and you have another style. This provides you with a different form of presentation and allows for coverage of more water.

In the end, it all seems to be regional names for the same thing. Like bluegill up north are referred to as bream down south.

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Where we fish here in Se Kansas for catfish...mainly the Neosho river...we employ drifting technique as well.

Not as what one would normally suspect.

Below our local low water dam...there is a miles long shallow shelf...composed of limestone and granite.

Inside those miles of river...there are a great many riffles.

We'll toss a light anchor overboard...attached to a short length of rope.

This will impede our progress...and allow us to "bounce" our offerings of spoonbill or gar eggs dowstream....to locate blues and channel where they wait in the holes...and behind current breaks.

Once we hit a few fish in a row along a particular stretch...we'll pull anchor...and motor back upstream of the holes we just found fish in...and solidly anchor there with the hook.

We'll then continue "bouncing" our offerings in a more concentrated effort...really poring out and probing every angle of the holes that we can reach with our high capacity baitcasters, filled with low diameter/high tensile brauid line.

We'll even go to the extent...if possible...to get out and wade...to explore even more holes in the lateral position of where we are anchored.

This saves the time of pulling anchor and moving side to side...as wading is much more mobile and thus ease of effort...and hey...the boat/floating tacklebox/cooler/bait station ain't ever far away!

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thanks Steve,Now I come to find out that All these years i have been dragging instead of drift fishing,LOL. I have boated a ton of channel cat using this method (Dragging) I think in the Title of your post it might of helped if you would of mentioned Drift fishing Techniques and Terminology,I know i passed over it several times before i opened the thread and almost missed this Good information.Thanks again,J.D.