Tea's new 6500C3...

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by teaysvalleyguy, Jul 22, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Alright, I had to deal some side tables tonight and did pretty good with tips. As many of you know I lost my R+R a couple weekends ago at the GMR at the Mini Ohio Gathering. I seen this reel in there Wednesday at Wally World marked down to $54.00. I stopped in tonight to see if they still had it and they said yeah. They pulled it out but did not have they box or papers on it. So, I got it for $45.00 which I think is a great deal.

Now, I have had some suggestions on what kind of Rod and line to put on it. I am just curious as to what yall think. 2 heads are better then 1. Heck, I got 7000 heads here. LMAO

Thanks yall and I sure hope to catch a fish with this baby. First 6500 I have owned and hope to break her in right. That would be without a birds nest of course. LMAO

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

tiger rod and cajun red line are big game. just a suggestion

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    9' mh ugly stick rod with 20lb. Big Game line. That'd be my choice.

4. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i would go with any of the ugly stiks (they are all good to me),and the some cheap line until i was sure i could cast the reel with confidence, at least thats what i would do.

crome

5. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Whoa, hold on! First things first. Get a power handle for that baby! Then match it to a rod. The power handles make a big difference.

6. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tea, Did you notice EsoxJohnny's signiture? What ever pole you get, I'd get a rope and large float so it won't jump in the lake and get lost.:lol::lol:

7. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO, yeah. That is pretty good.

Power Handle, now, where do I go about getting one of those??

8. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    catfish connection has them tea,and if you are around newarh soon Bobs outdoors on union st has them,he is stocking Items for catfishermen now after a little urging lol circle hooks and bulk sinkers by the pound too,plus power-pro and excell mono

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Seein how the vast majority of your fishin is from the bank. I would keep those conditions in mind and go with the longer rod.

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All depends on how much you wanted to spend:

Less than $20: Something like a Big Game rod or Eagle Claw Water Eagle

More than $20, Less than $30: Only one choice in my opinon: UGLY STICK WHTE CATFISH ROD $27.96 @ Wallmart

More than $30, less than $40: Quantum Big Cat, in med action.

More than $40 less than $60: Ugly Stick Tiger rod in Med action

More than $60: Again one choice: GATOR CUSTOM ROD!!!!!

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I picked one of those out on closeout from Wally World myself, $41! Like I needed another reel, but I couldn't pass it up. I decided to use it as a channel cat rod, spooling it with 12lb mono and putting it on a 6.5' Cabelas Whuppin Stick rod I had laying around. It casts a mile with a 1 oz sinker.

If I were buying a rod for it, i probably would have matched it with one of the white Ugly Stik Catfish rods.

12. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey Tea you might want to look at a berkley reflex, I have two in the 10' m.h. and they work great from fishing from the bank.If your gonna fish out of boat look at the quatum big cat or tiger rod by shakespeare, you can get both in 7' mh. Hope this helps.

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mike, that's funny. I bet you made Tes spit his pop out! Thats the same rod that he lost off the boat @ the GMR Outing!!!!

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Sounds like somebody spent the "NEW POTTY' money on a reel.If you survive this,you will surly know better next time.peewee-williams

15. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    tea what ever rod you decide to go with bring it down to st louis and let me set you up on one of these monsters over here, i fish less than 1/2 mile from where the world record blue was taken, just let me know

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice deal brother...I have often gotten things marked down a little also at walmart for lack of packaging. First time I asked for a mark down though, this associate just looked at me like I was out of my mind! It pays to ask though!

17. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Jim Moyer "The Boss" M/h Or Heavy Action Which Ever Works Better For You.

18. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    When they do that, just ask for the manager. I got $30 Knocked off the sale price of my trolling motor because it was the last one.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would go with an ugly stik white catfish rod, m/h 7ft..I would put 20-lb test berkly biggame line..Tea, have you ever used a baitcaster?

20. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yeah Jack, I had an old Abu like 5000 would be my guess but I gave it to my little brother.

So, I have used one before. Not sure of the differences other then size really.

I appreciate all the comments, plan on putting it in action soon. If not before then at the National of course.