TEAM NUTROLL

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by BEHITJ, Apr 24, 2009.

1. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Finally got to meet Greg for the first time at Justin's tourny and he is one hell of a nice guy. It was good to meet you Greg and I look forward to talking with you at other tourny's. I you like to take a trip sometime on the NUTROLL BARGE and see those FLOWERDY SHORTS go to work on some Big Cats. If we go you need to leave all the NUTROLLS at home please they waste to much fishing time.

2. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    I would love to get out there with you. No doubt I would be getting the better end of the deal.

It was great to finally get to meet you. It was pretty humbling for Team Nutroll as well. Let me explain to the group.....

You know, before the tourney, we were standing around chatting when the discussion lead into talk about John winning last years opener. Then, Pearl chimes in, "so was that your first tourney win?" Pretty funny question in hindsight when you look at the resume that includes a couple of Classics and who knows how many other tourneys......

I think that was just a glimpse of what was yet to come when Nutroll got the big skunk. Worked our tails off, but didn't change the gameplan enough. We stuck with what was working just a few days prior and got beat down. Devastation......

3. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    The way I do things GP is I stick to my game plan and if that's not panning out I try to think what are the fish doing,the conditions,what have I done in the past I try to switch it up quick and figure something out. It don't always work but alot of times it does.You have to learn to be versitile when it comes to any kind of fishing period I learned that real quick fishing bass tournaments.I am always trying to find something new out there old spots and holes don't always work fish change from year to year just like the rest of the world.Well I hope this is some good advise.

4. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    There you have it Greg, If you want to do good in a tourney just do the exact opposite from Behiter! And whats up GP? :roll_eyes: Now you have nicknames? I understand GP is his initials but come on now! You cannot posiable be that lazy that you cannot spell out his name. I guess it would be OK for me to start calling you BJ? Come here BJ. Look at this BJ. Give me a call whenever you get a chance BJ. :smile2::smile2:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I always enjoy "nutroll" posts, and look forward to them. I tried to describe nutrolls to my fishin' pard, and now every time ANYTHING contrary happens on the water, he screams, NUTROLL!. we were on the way home from a tourney yesterday, listening to the Talledega race. A car flipped and my fishin' pard shouted... NUTROLL!!!!!!!! I guess I will have to live with this new lingo forever now! :smile2::wink::smile2:

Bill in SC

6. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    ya ok MJ!!!! does that stand for Michael Jackson:roll_eyes::smile2:

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I dont have time to explain it right now, but I'm just about sure Grump and I"s trip to Henderson just might qualify for the Greatest NutRoll of ALL TIME. After hearing this, Ol GPolce will probably instantly recommend me for Nut Roll Hall Of Fame, with no waiting period. :smile2:

8. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    The benchmark for the year was that dude falling in the 30 degree water during that tourney earlier this year.... I can't recall who it was, but it was certainly a nutroll.

Theft and/or vehicle accidents certainly account for a lot of points.

If I had actually launched my boat in the flooding mississippi with the broken throttle last night, it would have been worth a ton of points as well. Fortunately, I didn't let Pearl float off once the motor was purring...

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm in Orlando for two days in the torture chamber. When I get back to New York, I'll post up the greatest two day Nut Roll of all time for all to enjoy. :embarassed: None of you will be dissappointed. I dare say, I even have Ol Overboard beat. :smile2:

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    C'mon!!!!!! I am sure you have a few minutes to spare NOW!!!!

The suspense is killing me!:tounge_out:

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Yeah, you know better than to do that to poor OLD skippy.. You know how his nerves get when you leave him hanging like that.. Shoot Santa is even afraid to keep him waiting..

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ok, here is my submission to the Team Nutroll Hall Of Fame

Need to make some 10 ounce bank sinkers, for myself, and for Doug Chapman in trade for some skippies. Lee Melter gets stuck in open position.

Nutroll Number 1 - Lee Melter empties 25# of hot lead in Cuz Barn. :cool2:

Cuz goes to Swampy to get extra weights, and that mission is successfull.

Day one, Grump and Cuz depart Jefferson County Missouri for Cannelton, Indiana, which is our chosen fishing spot for the Cabelas event since we cant prefish.

Drive east goes smoothly. We make it into Cannelton, stop at Walmart and get our non resident fishing licenses, and then have a mission to gather fresh shad from a Cove we know holds bait there. So we grab sum grub and head for the ramp. Launch the boat, and proceed to find bait. Its really scattered out, but we are getting bait. I'm extremely proud of my spanking brand new Catfish SAfari 8 foot bait net, and even brag on my tossing prowess, which brings us to Nutroll Number 2.

Nutroll Number 2 - Hang brand new 65.00 net on log, and it doesnt come back in the boat except for the rope. :cool2:

Pull the boat out since we dont have a net now, and head into town for a hotel room to sleep for a few short hours for the big tourney.

Nutroll Number 3 - No hotel rooms available due to Bass fishing tourney. Grump and Cuz forced to sleep in F250. Grump snores like a mighty locomotive in passenger seat, and Cuz sleeps maybe an hour. Grump didnt sleep much better either.

Plan is to put Grump, and boat in the water at 4am and then I head to Henderson for the Launch. During the launch phase, I mention to Grump "We cant forget Doug's sinkers"

Launch goes smoothly and Cuz is off to Henderson. Cuz is exhausted but makes the one hour drive and negotiate the 4 turns to Henderson without a hitch. But wait.

Nutroll Number 4 - Yep, forgot Doug's sinkers. :cool2: Scramble around boat ramp in Henderson and scrounge up sinkers for Doug. I get maybe a dozen, so basically feel like a turd. Good hearted Doug and his gracious partner still make the skipjack-to not very many weights trade. (Many thanks to Doug and his Partner)

Cuz meanders around in a non sleep induced coma and visits with ol friends. Head to truck as they start calling numbers, and when they announce the mighty 16, Cuz is off to the races. Cuz jumps on Penny Rile Parkway and heads south. Cuz runs about 40 minutes and cant find his exit to head towards Cannelton. Cuz calls Grumper and says he's a little turned around, but should be on track shortly. Cuz makes no progress in trying to figure out where he is and calls Grumper back. Cuz tells Grumper he's in Madisonville, kentucky and Grump hangs up to pull up a map. Grumper calls Cuz back.

Nutroll Number 5 - Grumper says, "Dude, your 96 miles away" "Somehow, you ran due south all the way out of Henderson" :cool2:

Cuz cusses, and cusses again, and cusses somemore. and , yep, Cusses some more. :cool2: Cuz realizes he wont be to ramp until 9am now since he's an hour and a half away. :cool2:

Make hour and a half drive back where I'm suppose to be, but have to stop and get gas.

Jump in boat, and race for chosen spot.

Nutroll Number 6 - Cannelton Lock Master has every gate WIDE OPEN, and with the 35 mile an hour winds, looks like the Artic Ocean. :cool2:

With some negotiating, Grump and Cuz realize the "A Plan" aint gonna work.

Cuz decides we should try bottom bouncing with the current.

On first drift, BAM, Grump gets hammered. One fish in the boat. Hey maybe this work afterall. Cuz misses nice take down on same drift. Grump says, "dude theres alot of fish in this area on the finder" so we anchor up, and Grump catches another fish quickly. Cuz adds another fish in short order, and were 3 fish in the well, and things are looking good.

No more fish, and try anchoring up a few more spots.

Nutroll Number 7 - Cuz's rod goes from straight up, to flat parallel with the water and drag hissing, but somehow fish comes unbuttoned :cool2:

Decide to do more Drifts, as Grump mentions he aint feelin so hot. (were fishing in 5 foot rollers, and a nasty chop the entire time)

Cuz is working hard to try and make up the lost time for his partner Grumper when he looks back and sees

Nutroll Number 8 - Grumper sound asleep holding rod draggin his baits. :cool2:

Cuz wakes up Grumper and says, "Dude we need two more fish"

Cuz and Grump work hard but no more fish. Were down to our very last drift.
    Cuz decides to give it, "one last smoke"

Cuz finishes smoke with no bites, flicks it in the trash, and begins to tell Grump thats it.

As Cuz gets the words "Well Grump, thats about it out of his mouth, his rod gets slammed over, damn near rippin it out of his hands, and screams to the half asleep Grump "FISH ON" Grump grabs net.

Nutroll Number 9 - Fish comes unbuttoned about 4 feet from the boat :cool2:

Cuz and Grump race to ramp to yank the boat out and head for Henderson.

Nutroll Number 10 - Grump says "Dude, wheres the top to your tailgate?" At some point, my tailgate cap had flown off. :cool2:

Make drive to Henderson for weigh in, and make it there in one piece, and didnt even get lost.

Watch the weigh in, and realize were way outa the money, wont qualify, but was great to see old friends and make new ones.

Head to truck, and head for home. Stop to get gas, and Grump says

Nutroll Number 11 - "Dude, the trailer fender is crushed all the way in to the tire" We first think we hit something, but realize we would have noticed that since the boat would have jumped up in the air. So, someone or something smashed into Grumps trailer while we were in Henderson, we think :cool2:

So there you have it. Grump and I's submission to Nutroll Hall Of Fame

13. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Bravo...bravo. Mucho kudos to you and Grump.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

This will take a while for the judges to digest, but the criteria has been met...make no mistake. :wink: This is the new high water mark. You two guys are certainly overachievers.

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    ROFLMFAO x 10

We are honored, and humbled to be considered for the Team Nutroll Hall Of Fame :smile2::smile2:

15. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    sounds like a great time...lol. i was up there last yr. when ike blowed thru. 70 mph winds, the waves were so high at times i couldent see the shore. didnt even fish, just hold on to my azz i hope we were going to come back up from 8 ft. waves. you were in a good area up there, if i would have been able to fish the tourney i would have went up that way, i have fished many times around troy area. ( just below the big cottonwood tree) lmao, if the wind wasnt so bad and you didnt have a few little mishaps, i think you would have placed high up in the standings. with all that said, if that happend to me there would be a cry all over the place for a name change, like fly south. tom tom, mappless, but since you were working on no sleep in a big tourney long way from home you get a free ride. i would thought you would have used your pilot skills and looked at water towers to see what town you were in ( sry just had to do it) it happens to us all, its just a matter of time till its our turn to have everything go wrong. but you still got a few fish and had some good take downs and and have a great story to tell.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Well, I can tell you from experience that the Penny Rile Parkway, and the Audobon Parkway that runs east, look awfully similiar :smile2::roll_eyes:

I just flat missed the clover leaf that went back east, and drove on. and drove on. and drove on. and drove on. :smile2: In fact, I drove about 45 miles due south. :embarassed:

Did get to meet some fine folks at Cooters Gas Station in some far corner of Cane Tuke EEe though. :smile2: When I asked them where Cannelton was they looked at me as IF I WAS THE ONE WITH NO TEEFS :tounge_out::smile2: I politely said nevermind, I'll just keep going north till I hit the Ohio River, which I did by the way :smile2:

That is a nice pool of water up that way though. Always have enjoyed fishing up there. If I hadnt hosed us out of 2 hours of fishing, I have no doubt we would have limited. Had we not missed so many fish, would prob have been different also, but thats fishing I reckon.