Team Nutroll Update - Some big blue catfish!

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by Yeller., Feb 11, 2009.

1. Yeller.

Yeller. New Member

State:
    MO
    Well...it happened. It has been a long winter chipping away at it --- and fellas it finally paid off! :smile2: 6 fish tonight; 68, 33, 27...

We didn’t even plan on going tonight to be honest. Standard gpolce, he called me about 8 times this morning at work saying “...with it fixin’ to be 60 degrees today; we have to go.” So, I figured that made a bit of sense compared to having your gloves frozen to the side of the boat like in December. So, we grabbed the boat & gear over lunch...and met at Columbia Bottoms at 5 pm. When I pulled up, we both agreed this was one of the best ideas we have had in awhile. We called Nessie again to complete the team roster --- but, he refused...wasn’t able to get the hall pass!:confused2:

First spot coming out of CB didn’t really produce much, a few light hits, but nothing of substance. We kept working our way down and posted-up on the 2nd spot --- 10 minutes later wham; gpolce boated a 10 lber. After that, there were 3 mini-slams, but the cats were refusing to eat. After the 3rd hit with zero results, Polce was losing it --- screaming and creating his usual drama.:tounge_out: About another 45 minutes went by (Polce finally calmed down) --- and this time a real SLAM hit - EPIC... I grab the rod and line started peeling out, we both new this might be it. Crazy thing, the blue surfaced right after the hit about 25 yards from the boat! It pulled several times out into the current during the fight and finally she worked its way over to the boat after ~20 minutes. Once Polce netted the pig and we both lifted it in....we went NUTS! :smile2: :smile2: 68 lbs – 50 inches. It was unreal ! Big thanks to Freespool for leaving us the skips from Saturdays outing (we owe ya bud)!:wink: After taking pictures, we released her and got the poles right out in the water again. 4 more fish followed in the next 90 minutes...33, 27 and 2 dinks boated by gpolce. It started to rain a bit harder; so we reluctantly called it night.

Wow. It will be impossible to sleep tonight...might just stay up and soak this in....

Definitely a nice winter surprise for team nutroll !:wink:

-Pearl

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    That is one awesome job!

You put some very nice blue catfish in the boat.

Love those pictures! :wink:

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Good going guy's them are some great looking cat's:eek:oooh:

4. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    Nice job guys those are some good fish.What kind of structure and depth were you fishing?By the way where did you come up with NUTROLL what does it stand for?

5. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Very nice fish.Now,I want to go.Unfortunatly,I work till Monday.Keep on catching em,and posting pictures.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    great looking fish, congrats on the catch and good luck in the future

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    A BIG CONGRATS guys!!!!!! You have paid your dues. Glad you had one of them nights to remember!:big_smile:

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Now, that there was a good night fishin.Way to go.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats and thanks for the pics. The fever is on!!

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Congrats guys, Thats one heck of a night of fishing good job.

11. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well done fellas. Sorry I couldn't be there to enjoy the show. :sad2:

12. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great job guys those are some nice numbers!

13. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey......wait a cotton pickin' minute.:eek:oooh:

If memory serves me correctly it has always been NESSIE himself blaming the bad fortunes of TEAM NUTROLL onto poor GPOLCE.:roll_eyes:

Nessie was unable to get a kitchen pass and they slayed the big boys!:smile2:

Make your own decision here.... I am just stating the 'facts'!:haha:

14. Nessie

Nessie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.:smile2: Do you think it is any coincidence that Polce finally caught fish taking Freespool out fishing over the weekend? My guess is that polce is fishing all of Freespool's honey holes now.:roll_eyes: Just my 2 cents.

15. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    way to go guys nice fish

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Now I am upset.......Freespool never points me to his honeyholes.....just his SKUNK HOLES!!!:smile2:

Whats up with that Dan???

17. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Great job. Thanks for the pics. You really know how to get the fishing fever going. Just last night I started getting my rods ready. It won't be long before I start.

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    good job fellas! I am so jealous, i can't lie to ya! :roll_eyes:

dang I can't wait to get my boat back together:confused2:

19. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Both great questions.

1) The first one is tough, because I don't necessarily believe the correlation....but Pearl swears by it. So, I will start with his answer first.:roll_eyes: If he were to answer this question he would say something like "near the water tower" or "across from that weird looking building". I can't believe that has any effect, but last night we caught most of our fish near "the trash bag hanging in the tree" and "towards that light over there". Both Freespool and Nessie can confirm Pearl's passion for fishing objects out of the water.:wink: It does get frustrating at times when he wents to move off of a current rip and fish the powerline.

If you don't agree with his logic/strategy/tactics, all of the fish were caught between 10-30 ft of water in some current and out of current (believe it or not). I know that doesn't help much, but they've been a little all over the place. We had them patterned so well last Saturday that all three fish came out of three different locations (black sand calm, current, and complete random). Basically, a crap shoot as Freespool can attest.

Last night more current fish, but still some in calm water. Regardless of not being able to pattern what was going on, I'm okay with it. It's probably more about "soak time" than anything. Can't catch fish watching American Idol as Nessie can tell you. :roll_eyes:

2) And now for "nutroll". You know when you get yourself in pickle and it's a complete debacle trying to get yourself out, that is what I would define as a "nutroll". For example, you just anchor, get all six rods out, and the anchor breaks free, your drifting toward a barge = nutroll. Or, you have your rods out, a log comes by and hooks two lines, the anchor breaks free, and no lights work = nutroll. The list goes on and on, but I suspect you get the idea.

Well it turns out that each time Nessie, Pearl and I went out, we found ourselves dealing with a few major "nutrolls" every trip (sometimes up to 9 major "nutrolls" in a trip). It was inevitable and it seemed that it happened a little more frequently with this group or a segment of this group (Nessie and I or even Pearl and I) than with any other fishing buddies I've had in the past. I think it's primarily because we don't know what we're doing, but we don't work as a cohesive unit either. Poor teamwork coupled with lack of ability = Nutroll. :roll_eyes:

Pearl will have to tell you why he referred to these situations as "Nutrolls", but that was the word frequently used and now embraced.

By the way, it's interesting to note that Pearl's complete lack of ability is what got him the fish in the first place. As some of you know, we usually take turns (or that's the theory if Nessie isn't in the boat). Well, I catch the first fish last night and the Pearl proceeds to miss three consecutive pull downs. Not just "pepper", but nice pull downs. If he'd done his part, the big pull down would have been #5 and subsequently my turn. :eek:oooh:
    There is some saying a about a "blind hog finding something" and think that's pertinent here. He did a nice job handling the fish however. :roll_eyes:

20. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO

Skipeye, you most certainly are a reasonable man that makes logical decisions. The data surely suggests that Nessie is indeed the culprit.:confused2: